Fordmods Logo

Slipping pulley belt cause 

 

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

G'day chicho11,

It's good to have people like that. Unfortunately few and far between.

I only have scotch or rum to offer
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
@ Mad2,Hopefully replacing the pulley wont need any special tools, surely


No special tools required for refitting the balancer.

Replace the front main seal while you have it out, cheap insurance.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:09 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 496

Joined: 14th Sep 2011

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hello,

Get an estimate for fitting, it still may be cheaper to buy the tool, even if you only use it once. Now Ford didnt make it that way to be nasty. It means it can be removed in a confined space with no damage to the Radiator or Timing cover with people bashing things. I havnt done a Falcon, but other Cars it will pull off easily. The hard part is often undoing the bolt. A trick here if it wont budge, is put a socket and breaker bar on the bolt. A block of wood on the rail, and lean the bar into it. Take off the Dizzy cap ( pull a fuse so it wont start ) A few clicks from the starter, and it will loosen.

 

_________________

Regards 96ELGli

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

@ 96ELGli,

I ended up getting Lube Mobile to come over and pull the harmonic balancer off. Price quoted was just over $88.00, that included call out fee + first 15 minutes. :)

Dizzy is electronic one, and hard to get at, I've replaced it in the past, needed a 6mm spanner for the bolts from memory. Cant take the cap off those ones, its all moulded.

To loosen the bolt , he used a big bar then quick start the engine long enough to loosen the bolt, less than a second it seemed. 8-)

He did use that special puller, mine was a bit stubborn to crack, took a few minutes, sweat pouring out as it was hot outside even in the shade. He then realised the washer was still on the pulley and not with the bolt that came out, some person had placed silicon to bond the washer to the pulley :roll: . Did not take long to remove pulley once washer was removed.

In that respect it was cheaper than buying the special tool. :o I just got to wait another 11 days before I get paid again to buy a new harmonic balancer, so its buses in the meantime :(

*********************************************************************************

Question about the front main seal.

Is it easy to remove it or do I need to use a drill to remove it? Hopefully oil wont pour out in the process
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2574

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
@ 96ELGli,

I ended up getting Lube Mobile to come over and pull the harmonic balancer off. Price quoted was just over $88.00, that included call out fee + first 15 minutes. :)


not a bad $$

bondy99 wrote:
Dizzy is electronic one, and hard to get at, I've replaced it in the past, needed a 6mm spanner for the bolts from memory. Cant take the cap off those ones, its all moulded.


are we still talkin the AU?? coz AU don't have a dizzy


bondy99 wrote:
To loosen the bolt , he used a big bar then quick start the engine long enough to loosen the bolt, less than a second it seemed. 8-)


which was how i did mine lol


bondy99 wrote:
He did use that special puller, mine was a bit stubborn to crack, took a few minutes, sweat pouring out as it was hot outside even in the shade. He then realised the washer was still on the pulley and not with the bolt that came out, some person had placed silicon to bond the washer to the pulley :roll: . Did not take long to remove pulley once washer was removed.

In that respect it was cheaper than buying the special tool. :o I just got to wait another 11 days before I get paid again to buy a new harmonic balancer, so its buses in the meantime :(


that was how i broke mine :/ ... took bolt out n forgot the washer :evil:


bondy99 wrote:
Question about the front main seal.

Is it easy to remove it or do I need to use a drill to remove it? Hopefully oil wont pour out in the process



drill?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Question about the front main seal.

Is it easy to remove it or do I need to use a drill to remove it? Hopefully oil wont pour out in the process


Just pull it out, use a hook to catch it and pull. Don't go bashing around at the front as the Timing case is only alloy and can and will crack on you.

No oil will run out as the seal is above the level in the sump.

New one in, just lube it up with plenty of engine oil.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Mad2 or SWC,

Can the front seal be obtained from any bearing centre or do I need to go genuine from Ford?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Go to Bursons or Ripco or similar.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2574

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Ok, thanks, Bursons or Ripco, no worries.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:
Go to Bursons or Repco or similar.


Not Repco --- RIPCO or Rip Every Poor C..t Off.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Hi Mad2 or SWC

Forgot to ask an important question.

How do I stop the engine from turning when refitting the Harmonic Balancer. My car has auto transmission.

I'm sure it will be tight fit when repositioning it to ensure the pulley is inline with all the other pulleys

Thanks.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2574

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:
Go to Bursons or Repco or similar.


Not Repco --- RIPCO or Rip Every Poor C..t Off.



i know that grumps! .... just thought the op might not understand .. sheeeez :mrgreen:





bondy99 wrote:
Hi Mad2 or SWC

Forgot to ask an important question.

How do I stop the engine from turning when refitting the Harmonic Balancer. My car has auto transmission.

I'm sure it will be tight fit when repositioning it to ensure the pulley is inline with all the other pulleys

Thanks.



i had that problem too! :roll: ... however when i mentioned it last time how i did up the bolt tight .......... everyone one went :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:


so . . . . . do up bolt till crank turns .. then fit belt & try tightening bolt more :mrgreen: [could also put pressure on beltso it grips belt more?]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 939

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Mad2

Yeah ok, thanks for that extra info about tightness, wasn't sure if it had to be done to a specific torque setting.

Fun and games will begin when crunch time happens.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 496

Joined: 14th Sep 2011

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hello,

Glad you have had a bit of a win. I mentioned Dizzy Cap as an example, which is why I said to pull a fuse so it wont start. At least it was at home, not 100's of K's away like it almost was with the Alternator.

 

_________________

Regards 96ELGli

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:33 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names