Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Slipping pulley belt cause
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Hello again,

I should have replaced the front seal before I put the harmonic balancer on.

However, last 2 days I noticed I noticed oil on the ground at the rear of sump, I jacked the vehicle up and traced the source of that oil leak, it was coming from the front.

I read somewhere that oil might escape from the keyway, I never put any silastic in that area.

Probably bit late now maybe.

I'm wondering if I was to have the new harmonic balancer removed to fit a new seal, would the process of removing it cause the rubber compound to break, or would it be easier just to remove the bolt, place silicon onto washer that covers keyway and retighten bolt?

Any suggestions?

which rubber compound do you mean? if balancer ... no it won't. at least remove balancer & check seal as putting silastic under washer won't stop the oil leaking from the rear of the balancer :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Mad2,

Yes, that's the one, the rubber compound on the balancer. Ok, no problem will have to get that done when I got more time and dollars. I'll have to get it done by a mobile mechanic this time.

Slugged $88.00 last time to get the balancer removed. This time I'll remove the radiator completely to gain full access.

I'll get him to change the seal and replace the balancer, took a while for me to put the balancer in last time. Or get it done at a garage like KMart or similar and pay a hefty price.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
I'm wondering if I was to have the new harmonic balancer removed to fit a new seal, would the process of removing it cause the rubber compound to break,

when the balancer is removed with the PROPER tool it pulls on the centre metal section which puts NO stress on the rubber ring

good luck :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mad 2,

Thanks, the mobile mechanic has the proper tool, only took about 5 minutes to remove after I done all the prep work..

I'll buy another new front seal ( cant find the other one I had, I purchased it with the balancer)

Cheers,

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Clean it all up, and make sure you know where the leak is coming from. You may end up doing a big job which you dont need to. Oil leaks can be a pain, so make sure you have found it.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@ 96ELGli,

I've cleaned up what I could get to. I've traced the oil trail coming from the front of motor. No other visible tell-tale signs.

I do know this much, after reinstalling the harmonic balancer and riven the vehicle for 2 weeks, there was no sign of any oil leak, I would think if it was from the front seal it should have leaked then.

Just seems odd the leak is from the front. The front cross-member bar stops me from going further to accurately pin point the leak. Might need to place it on a hoist to have a better look.

I phoned KMart Auto at Loganholme, I asked them for a rough estimate to change seal (if seal is the problem)....KMart said front seal cost about $60.00 (I can get it for $12.00) and close to $300.00 to do the job. plus additional costs to remove radiator to get more room ...

Rip off bastards.

Might be cheaper for me to get mobile mechanic to remove balancer, remove and replace seal and refit balancer.

At least I can remove and replace all the necessary parts to gain access in preparation at no cost, if the leak is from the seal.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

It may be related to the work you did, but may not be. That is why you want to be certain. I once changed a sump gasket, engine half out. The leak was from a timing cover bolt a few mm above where it looked to be coming from. If you clean it all, run it after it has dried and then look. Make sure, as it could waste time and money if not. Been there and done that as they say !

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hello.

That's possible, it could well be, but still good to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

I'll go over it again, probably use some petrol to clean the residue from the front. It's a bit difficult to see where the leak is coming from just using a jack. I cant put any rags or hand further up past the cross member bar. its too small of a gap.

I'll ask next door neighbour to see if I can use his hoist to have a better look. That might be Monday or Tuesday next week.

Yep, I know what you mean.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4