Fordmods Logo

Snorkels 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Snorkels
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Hey guys, about to pick up a snorkel off an au xr8 thats getting wrecked. Having a look at it, it doesn't have the T on it. Is this an xr6 snorkel, and is it better than my ef snorkel?

Worth the upgrade?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Snorkels
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Don't bother with that snorkel mate, that's pretty much a normal AU snorkel, not the proper Tickford snorkel which is larger. Not all AU XR8's got the larger snorkel from factory.

The AU tickford snorkel is is a worthwhile upgrade, has a much larger opening and the throat leading into the airbox is a lot wider. The BA/BF XR6 turbo/V8 snorkel is pretty much the replacement for the tickford snorkel now, exactly the same but without the Tickford wings.

This shows how much larger the AU tickford or B-series XR6T/V8 snorkel is, in comparison to the standard AU/BA/BF ones.

See if you can find a snorkel off a BA/BF XR6T or V8. It's a bit hard to come across the tickford snorkels nowadays, took me an age to finally track one down. The other option would be to find an EF/EL XR6 intake snorkel, they are much larger than standard as well and will fit right in without any modding.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Thanks mate, I have an ef2 ghia and that intake looks larger than mine. Ah well I was hoping they just forgot to stamp the T onto it haha.

Yea I saw your wtb ad for the au snorkel, then saw in your sig you got one, so I was gonna PM and see where you picked yours up from. Ford are asking $140 for an xr6t snorkel...I'm sure I'll find a better deal (obviously won't find a worse one...)

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

kiwief wrote:
Yea I saw your wtb ad for the au snorkel, then saw in your sig you got one, so I was gonna PM and see where you picked yours up from.

Must have me confused with someone else there mate, I don't think I've ever put up a WTB thread on here before lol.

Yeah, don't bother trying to get one through Ford NZ lol. Much cheaper to go through wreckers or possibly look out for people selling after upgrading etc. My first XR6T snorkel was bought from Darren at FTG Auto Salvage in Aussie, cost me $85NZ including postage to my door which I thought was awesome - they were listing these on Trade Me a long time ago but seems they haven't done so for a while now. Next one I picked up on Trade Me for $35, but 2nd hand so you'll definitely get it much cheaper if you wait it out. I'll keep my eyes posted and let ya know if anything pop's up :wink:

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Thanks bud, theres an xr6t snorkel + airbox + highflow filter with buynow $180 on TM (shhhh, I don't want to have to hit buy now :lol: ) But not really keen for the whole lot at that price.

And you are right, I got confused with efxr6wagon.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Ghia '03

Is a BF XR6T snorkel supposed to fit in an EL? I got one for free, it hits the thermofans though. However I test fitted a BA XR6T snorkel and it fits fine.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

It will fit EF/EL with a bit of modding. With my EF I've found that both the AU tickford snorkel and the BA/BF snorkels would not go in without fouling. The thermofan shroud needed to be cut back to clear the lower part of the snorkel that leads into the airbox, also had to drill 2 new holes in the radiator support panel further back as it just wouldn't sit right mounted up where the factory holes are drilled.

I guess there is always the possibility of the snorkel's mould varying in shape for whatever reason, could be why your BA one fits and the BF doesn't. AFAIK, they are both exactly the same part number. 'PapaSmurf' would be able to confirm this :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

AU/BA/BF use the same sort of Air Inlet, the BA/BF Turbo is EXACTLY the same CFM as the OVERLY expensive Tickford wings one sans the wings. Part Number BA 9A624 A $45.70 AUS for it. :)

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

wow, that looks like the cheapest option for me so far, cheers Smurf!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hey kiwief,

Expect an NZ Ford dealer to charge 2-3 times what an Aussie dealer charges. :shock: They don't want you to maintain your car; they want you to buy a new one. It's usually much cheaper to buy off ebay in Oz and pay the freight. Australian Ford dealers are prohibited from selling parts to NZ customers; I wonder why. :evil:

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Australian Ford dealers are prohibited from selling parts to NZ customers; I wonder why. :evil:

We sell to people in NZ now and then. :roll:

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2003 BA SE XL Ute, 1999 AU Forte

NSW, Australia

Is the ba xr8/6t bigger than the standart ba xt snorkel? All i really read is about el and au falcons

cheers guys

Falcon BA SE XT Manual Ute: K&N panel filter, 10" Fusion Subwoofer, Genie Headers
Future Mods: Bigger Snorkel, underdrive pulleys, tune
Falcon AU Forte Auto Sedan: 94 EF Fairmont Ghia V8 Engine, K&N panel filter XR8 Computer, TS50 bodykit, DVD Player, FOR SALE

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

I called ultimate motor group in Tauranga to get a quote on the xr6t snorkel. $120NZD + gst due to ford NZ needing to make a profit..As much as I am loyal to Ford I can understand where the whole fraud thing comes from. I always try to get my parts off ford if I can but ford NZ are always at least twice the price of what i eventually end up paying.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]