Fordmods Logo

Snorkle For EL 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 83

Joined: 16th Sep 2010

Ride: BF MKII Xr6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Afternoon guys,

Well im getting around to putting a larger snorkel on my EL, was reading the tech doc, saying use a AU xr8 snorkel and mod it. I messaged the parts guys at Ford and was told there were 2 different snorkels (one had increased kw's).

Any help would be appreciated.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1442

Joined: 26th Apr 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

Location: liverpool
NSW, Australia

its the same as the BA/BF XR6 Turbo snorkel, they are pretty cheap

i have fitted one to an EL XR6 with no need to mod anything

 

_________________

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Last edited by FAST-XR on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 41

Posts: 4629

Joined: 23rd Nov 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

Location: Sydney West
NSW, Australia

My NF has a BA XR6 T snorkel on it. Slight mods to fit around the V8 power steering pump but easy to do.
Can highly recommend it for the price.

 

_________________

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 83

Joined: 16th Sep 2010

Ride: BF MKII Xr6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

So a BA xr6t snorkel should fit a 6 no problems, just mod of the airbox?

Thanks.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ja_50_nh wrote:
So a BA xr6t snorkel should fit a 6 no problems, just mod of the airbox?

Thanks.


Yeah it will fit with some modifications.

I had to clip some of little plastic support braces/fins on the thermofans to clear the bend as well as drilling 2 new holes on the radiator support for the new mounting points since the holes don't line up with the existing ones. To make it look neat, I also trimmed the lip of the snorkel so it sat flush with the radiator support bracket thing. Besides those, nothing else needs doing.

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 83

Joined: 16th Sep 2010

Ride: BF MKII Xr6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Could an alternate way be drilling holes in the snorkel where the original mounting screws were? Guess I could fill in the new snorkels holes with some sort of plug. Wouldn't make any difference would it? Knowing my clumsy self I'd probably drill a hole into my radiator which was replaced <2000 kms ago (lol).
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2477

Joined: 10th Mar 2007

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

phongus wrote:
ja_50_nh wrote:
So a BA xr6t snorkel should fit a 6 no problems, just mod of the airbox?

Thanks.


Yeah it will fit with some modifications.

I had to clip some of little plastic support braces/fins on the thermofans to clear the bend as well as drilling 2 new holes on the radiator support for the new mounting points since the holes don't line up with the existing ones. To make it look neat, I also trimmed the lip of the snorkel so it sat flush with the radiator support bracket thing. Besides those, nothing else needs doing.

+1

I had to do the exact same as what Phong has detailed above when I put a XR6T snorkel on the EF. Some people have had no issues with the thermofan shroud fins fouling on the snorkel and some have - it's just a case of popping it on and making adjustments from there. Mine has an aftermarket radiator so I'm guessing it could be something to do with that making the thermofans sit out a bit further than normal, who knows

 

_________________

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorkle For EL
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ja_50_nh wrote:
Could an alternate way be drilling holes in the snorkel where the original mounting screws were? Guess I could fill in the new snorkels holes with some sort of plug. Wouldn't make any difference would it? Knowing my clumsy self I'd probably drill a hole into my radiator which was replaced <2000 kms ago (lol).


Yes you can just drill another hole on the lip of the snorkel...I just found it some what cleaner having it sit flush with the radiator support rather than over the top. I now have 2 extra holes in front of the radiator support, but that doesn't bother me :)

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names