Stall Converter 

Page 4 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Stall Converter
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
ford-racer46.... What is it exactly that you want from your motor? One minute you want turbo or forced induction, next minute you want the lot with the lot but in an NA setup (read here: ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/re-build-for-supercharging-t91337.html). Do you actually want a motor or do you just want friends?

Have you got any mates with turbo, supercharged or NA setups? Ask em to take you for a spin so you can get a sample, then take your pick and stick with it. And remember to set realistic goals.

Anyway back on topic.

Torque converters are the Automatic transmission equivalent to a centrifugal clutch. Stall speed is the max speed that the motor is allowed to turn whilst the car is held stationary. And that does not mean holding it with a foot brake, as a well setup converter will easily overcome the foot-brake at or near stall speed. Only way to truly stall a car up is with a trans-brake (especially if its turbo). And before you put a trans-brake n your wish-list just hold that thought for a few moments as Adelaide doesn't have any drag strips (the only place a trans-brake will be of any use).

Again, back on topic.. again.
When you are travelling at a low speed (under 25km/h) and you take your foot off the accelerator and then smash it again. The rpm that the engine revs to before you feel the car start to pull is the flash stall speed. This is a better indication for selecting a converter on a non trans-brake equipped car. If the flash stall matches the peak torque rpm of the engine then the car will be a rather potent street weapon.

As for cam's. You can have a cam that is lumpy everywhere in the rev range (and utterly useless for anything apart from its intended design purpose). Its called a pro stock cam :lol:

Being a fixed geometry item, camshafts are compromise items. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Lumpy basically means gutless down low and powerful up high. The lumpier the cam, the more gutless it is down low whilst it pulls harder up top. But its more involved than that. Read phillyc's post a few more times and get the books he mentioned. Its the only way way you are going to learn how engines work. Pimply faced keyboard warriors only know so much before their knowledge plateau's and they pump you full of the crap that you want to hear.

The problem i had is i dunno what works were! im trying to peice it together for a setup that suits me, from what you all say i have learned enough and now understand the basics of different applications, like you say i cant have my car sound like a V8 and go like stink! i cant have top and bottom i must comprimise, i also need no if i want tubo or charge before i can even think of cams, compression, and other aspects of my engine.

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA MKII Futura

SA, Australia

im looking at a 3000 stally that apparently has normal lockup.. will it flash to 3000rpm when i put my foot down off the line? or does it need to have the brake engaged to build up the stall? kinda confused about this

BA MkII Futura

GT 35/40 turbo, XR6T manifold, 42lb injectors, walbro pump, monza cooler, 3.5" split dump, 3" exhaust and cat, M86 3.45 LSD/XR6T axles, 18" Speedy Cheetahs, King L/SL, Typhoon front bar (XT lights), XR6 skirts/rear bar

245rwkw @ 7psi with 3000rpm stally

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

needs brake to build up stall. and if it's a mocky 3000 it wont stall to 3000!

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4