Fordmods Logo

to highflow cat or not to highflow cat (N/A xr6) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: to highflow cat or not to highflow cat (N/A xr6)
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok ive got a ba mk2 xr6 N/A, current performance mod is a simple CAI, im planing on putting pacemaker 4490's headers on the car and im curious is it going to be worth while putting on a highflow cat, the only mods that will be done once this is finished is the pacemaker headers and a CAI will be the only performance mods on the car, i am on a bit of a tight budget so with only mild performance mods such as these will a highflow cat provide a performance increase that will be worthwhile??

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: to highflow cat or not to highflow cat (N/A xr6)
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

you will have to change the cat as the extractors have a longer tail pipe then stock manifold

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
you will have to change the cat as the extractors have a longer tail pipe then stock manifold

according to the pacemaker website and the fitting instructions they supply with the 4490 headers, they are designed to be able to be used with the stock exhaust system, the pipe in front of the cat is bent and cut to fit. so the decision to use a highflow cat is purely performance based and if its worthwhile.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

Probally just sound like a huge a** vacum cleaner

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I recently picked up a pair of Bokka 2.5" high flow s/steel metallic cats from eBay for $130 each so they were cheap enough and quality seemed very good as well, so you'd only need one so it's pretty cheap!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

See me signature for my mods- very similiar except tuned to maximise benefits (questionable if that achieved anything based on my power figure...)

Seeing as you're doing the extractors - you should do the whole exhuast.
No point opening up eth flow just to restrict it again at teh cat.
I got a high flow cat with a 3 inch system - sounds very nice

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

for a single 2.5 inch system hooked up to pacemaker 4490's what size cat do you recommend 2.5" or 3"

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Ask the Venom guy

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 am 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Hey champ,

BA/BFs need a high flow cat past the 160rwkw mark, the stock one just doesnt cut it, (even with the ends enlarged to 2.5")

Changing to a high flow 100 or 200cpsi cat will give you around 3 to 4rwkw from the cat change alone, with even further scope when tuning is taken into the equation.

I will try and find the dyno graph to post up of a friends car (Doogstar/Doug off AFF) who has a NA BA XR6, which still holds the record today for the quickest auto BA/BF NA 6.

After fitting Pacemaker 4495s, 2.5" exhaust, F6 intake and a Bluepower custom tune the car was making 160rwkw. It was still using the standard cat (with the ends enlarged). The dyno graph showed a big flatspot in the mid range and Chris from Bluepower just couldnt extract any more out of it.

With the cat being the only change to a 200cpsi unit, the car picked up 4rwkw. From there the car was retuned to suit the higher flowing characteristics of the exhuast and the end result was 176rwkw. 16rwkw from a cat change and a retune.

The same thing with another BA immediately after where the owner picked up 12 rwkw total from a cat change and retune (and that was going from a Difillipo Hgh Flow Ceramic Cat)

Im going to have a complete bolt on BA/BF High Flow Cat setup ready in the next month to go with the release of the twin 2.25" exhaust system for the BA/BF 6s that i have developed.

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

NSW, Australia

XRCIST wrote:
Im going to have a complete bolt on BA/BF High Flow Cat setup ready in the next month to go with the release of the twin 2.25" exhaust system for the BA/BF 6s that i have developed.

:-D :-D i am very interested in this, i have just fitted a BF GT rear bar which has holes for twin tips. I was going to visit an exhaust shop to see if they could make something up for me that doesnt alter the sound my current system makes, very interrested in seeing some pics of this

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

XRCIST wrote:
Hey champ,

BA/BFs need a high flow cat past the 160rwkw mark, the stock one just doesnt cut it, (even with the ends enlarged to 2.5")

Changing to a high flow 100 or 200cpsi cat will give you around 3 to 4rwkw from the cat change alone, with even further scope when tuning is taken into the equation.

I will try and find the dyno graph to post up of a friends car (Doogstar/Doug off AFF) who has a NA BA XR6, which still holds the record today for the quickest auto BA/BF NA 6.

After fitting Pacemaker 4495s, 2.5" exhaust, F6 intake and a Bluepower custom tune the car was making 160rwkw. It was still using the standard cat (with the ends enlarged). The dyno graph showed a big flatspot in the mid range and Chris from Bluepower just couldnt extract any more out of it.

With the cat being the only change to a 200cpsi unit, the car picked up 4rwkw. From there the car was retuned to suit the higher flowing characteristics of the exhuast and the end result was 176rwkw. 16rwkw from a cat change and a retune.

The same thing with another BA immediately after where the owner picked up 12 rwkw total from a cat change and retune (and that was going from a Difillipo Hgh Flow Ceramic Cat)

]

Wow - that sounds like me - with all my mods I only managed 157 rwkw and I was a bit disappointed
Not far off your mates 160 rwkw so in the ballpark. Hmmmmm - might need to get a 200 cpsi cat off you and get it retuned.....

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yer ive decided to do the full system from extractor to tip (twin tips :D), hopefully after xmass i should have the cash to do so. I got a quote from one exhaust place $1207 fitted (pacemaker 4490, highflow cat, cat back system with 2 mufflers), but i reckon i can do better

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]