Towing Capabilities 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Towing Capabilities
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

Hey guys, i need a tow car (to tow my EB on a car trailer) and i was planning on using another EB, the thing is that the 2300kg limit on towing ability isn't really enough, is there a way to make a falcon able to tow more than 2300kg? (ie. brakes, suspension) I figure there probably isn't but it can't hurt to ask.

Short of that, does anyone have a suggestion on a good towing vehicle thats relatively cheap (ie <$3000). I was thinking GQ Patrol because certain ones can tow up to 2800kg otherwise its looking like an F250/350 but all these vehicles still fetch a fairly high price :(

Cheers
Slabz

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mate the eb will be fine but reall slow

i would recomend that when u tow anythign over around 1.8t u have electric/caravan brakes fitted to the trailer
this way there is another 2 wheels doing the braking

also some big assed air shocks in the back and heavy duty springs

not sure on the tow bar though u may need a bigger one
and u will need the biggest f**k off tranny cooler u can get

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

For a car trailer i reckon a tow pack would be the best

I think by law ( if im wrong someone let me know ) you can only tow what the weight of your car is

I had a tow pack on my old v8 xe and it was great - towed my other xe with it no worries

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I've got the hayman reese load leveling towbar which allows me to tow 2300kg and the car trailer is twin axel with both axels electrically braked (its legal gross is 2990kg) but the trailer weighs almost 1000kg on its own so i can only legally tow 1300kg on the trailer which isn't a full EB (in street trim).

I don't doubt that the car can do the job, i'd just like to know if i can do it legally.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

man u sure the trailer weight that much?

thats a fugging damn heavy trailer if it does!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

thats a damm heavy trailer champ, get ya self a patrol or maverick, i had my lwb mav going nicely with almost 3t on the back, just gotta make sure the towing can handle the weight, and if ya gonna use ya eb get a big tranny cooler

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

Hope the EB is an auto!

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

we've got a turbo landcruiser, hj61, and it tows a 3.5 tonne horse float nicely. you can pick up the earlier models (ours is 89) for under 5grand now, turbo'd.

as mentioned, are you sure youre trailer is almost a tonne? is it a fully enclosed trailer?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED Fairmont

NSW, Australia

We've towed some pretty heavy s**t with Falcons etc at work. We've towed a V6 Pajero with an NA Fairlane, we've towed an EA wagon with the same Fairlane. (Scary night that was - always balance the load :p), we've towed an EB sedan with a 3sp manual XF ute so it can be done just probley not safely.

A good tow car would be an NA/NC Fairlane. They seem to pull ok.

Myspace - www.myspace.com/theboss_290gt

MSN - theboss_290gt@hotmail.com

- Add me

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

your EB will probably tow the other EB "okay", but if it is over the legal limit and you have a crash i am pretty sure that insurance won't cover anything and you could be liable for everything, including all costs for injuries to anyone involved, even in your car. :shock:
Not really worth the risk IMO.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Ghia EB11 Ghia Courier ute

QLD, Australia

Check your State laws, but most towbars fitted to falcons are only 1600/1800 Kg capable. very few falcons get fitted with 2300Kg tow packs and if I remember correctly they were only available on 6cyl autos. there should be a tag/plate on all towbars stating their capacity. sorry to be the wet blanket but just because a NA pulls good does not really make it the perfect tow vehicle. brakes, transmission, vehicle weight, number of drive wheels (and therefore number of engine braking wheels) are all taking into account when limits are set. do lots of homework, but as someone has suggested, the patrol is not a bad option. be aware that the LWB wagon has a greater tow capacity that a shorty or a ute. SWB tow cars ride like crap (very choppy) Cruisers around the HJ61 era are only legal for about 2.5 t all up (including the trailer). earlier models (HJ47) are only 1.5t all up.

In Qld (and I suppose some other states) trailers upto 2t (all up) only need single axle brakes. over 2t you are required to have 4 wheel electric brakes WITH a break away system that self activates if the trailer seperates from the tow car.
you may get away with something that is not safe or legal, but if the s**t hits the fan, you could lose everything and it will cost you a lot of money

get some proper local advise and do it safe and legal

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'm sure the trailer is almost a tonne, and yes its a dam heavy trailer. Its not an enclosed one, its just a bit longer than normal and it can be tilted to load cars easier (with ramps that it also carries). It's got the 4 wheel electric brakes with break away system too.

I've called a tow bar place and explained what i have and they told me that the tow bar can legally handle 2300kg. Its the hayman reese load leveling bar (that takes a square slide-in tube with the tongue on that). Its looking like a cruiser or a patrol(/maverick) are what is needed, which sucks because i don't wanna spend $5000 on a tow car :(

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

the_scotsman wrote:
Hope the EB is an auto!

Agreed. According to my owner's manual, ford recommends that a manual only tow a maximum of 500kg, no matter what the tow bar is rated to.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]