Fordmods Logo

trip computer question ed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: trip computer question ed
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

my other half hooked up my trip computer i bought just recently using the installation help from this site .. my question is _ how long does it take to work as when i went driving after it had been fitted it said i was doing 1 on the instant fuel economy says its 1.4 on the trip economy averqage .. the only time they move is when i move off from an intersection or park or move from the driveway neither move off those 2 numbers whilst driving ... speed seems to be working right and it said after id done about 10kms that i should get about 139kms left i ut approx 10l in my tanks it still read 139kms in the dte .. being an ed gli i take it there is no lcd for pin8 to go and he didnt undo the thing for pin 34green/yellow however there was big fat thing along the top of the dash with green/yellow wire exactly the same that did appear to lead back to the pasenger side so he put it on that .. is there something that may have been overlooked or is there a possibilty it could be a dud trip computer .. as those top 2 redings (ife and tfe)
were there prior to moving the car ... nay help would be great thanks as its doesnt seem to be working how i thought it would

cindy

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

welcome to Fordmods,
BenJ hooked up one in my ED recently and it settled down to normal operation very quickly, pretty much before I'd left his street.
I'll be talking to him shortly and refer him to this post for you.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Post subject: Re: trip computer question ed
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:10 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

strackie51 wrote:
my other half hooked up my trip computer i bought just recently using the installation help from this site .. my question is _ how long does it take to work as when i went driving after it had been fitted it said i was doing 1 on the instant fuel economy says its 1.4 on the trip economy averqage .. the only time they move is when i move off from an intersection or park or move from the driveway neither move off those 2 numbers whilst driving ... speed seems to be working right and it said after id done about 10kms that i should get about 139kms left i ut approx 10l in my tanks it still read 139kms in the dte .. being an ed gli i take it there is no lcd for pin8 to go and he didnt undo the thing for pin 34green/yellow however there was big fat thing along the top of the dash with green/yellow wire exactly the same that did appear to lead back to the pasenger side so he put it on that .. is there something that may have been overlooked or is there a possibilty it could be a dud trip computer .. as those top 2 redings (ife and tfe)
were there prior to moving the car ... nay help would be great thanks as its doesnt seem to be working how i thought it would

cindy

hi
the instant fuel should read 99 when the car is not moving and the average fuel should take about 100km before it reaches the corect reading..
also the distence to empty uses the average consumption to get an estimate..
i would run the wire from the trip comt directly to pin 34 on the ecu as there are other green/yellow wires for other items in the car..(i think power to the clock might be green/yellow)?
that would explane the 1 and 1.4 average..as its not getting the pulse from the ecu..
it should start fromm 99 and work its way down.
pin 34 it the one that suplies the signal for the fuel consumption to the trip comp..
so once its conected to the ecu it should work fine...

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

thankyou very much appreciate that .. one thing i did notice is that it says that according to all these modes it can be in is that the display also shows current time and date on all when selected there is just numbers no date or time to be seen .. ive never seen one hooked up and working so ive no idea what they look like ... i will see if i can sweet talk the auto electircian up the road to have a quick look at it for me (of course it will take him more than 1hr .. gotta love those hrly rates) .. once again i appreciate the help.. 10/10 for the instructions and theres alot more on here that makes very intersting reading unfortunately the instnt fuel just sits on 1 not 99 that may all change when i can get someone to attatch that wire alot closer to the ecu .. i shall let you know how it goes ..

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi, and welcome to FordMods.

From you initial description, it would seem that your good man has wired up a couple of things incorrectly.

There are many Green/Yellow wires in the loom, and just because you see one the same colour, it does not mean it is the same wire.

The doco needs to be followed exactly. You need to splice in to Pin 34 just near the ECU. Run the wire from there to the Trip Comp plug.

The LCD dimming wire Black/White can be connected to the Blue/Red wire to allow some dimming function.

The rest hopefully is connected fine.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

that was done with the black white wires to the blue/red there is no dimming when i put my headlights on or if there is it is very unnoticable .. not like the clock it near went black with a dim light .. i assume thats what you mean by dimming .. both blacks went to the ci lock ground wire as the clock was working when we took it out .. (my idea to use those and he agreed ) .. did let him know that after the previous response that my idea to put it on the green/yellow in that big bungh of wires was not a good place ... i read and reread the instructions then he went fishing when we both agreed on a match it was joined .. ..thankyou appreciated i now know where to start to get it up and running how it should be

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

:lol: the only reason i got it in the first place is tht i ran out of fuel in the first week i got the car and it wasnt even on empty on the guage ... hhmm yeah .. hopefully this will end up a little more reliable

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]