Fordmods Logo

twin throttle body's on an ed xr6????? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: twin throttle body's on an ed xr6?????
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR6, 2003 BA XR8

VIC, Australia

hi all, i was searching fordmods the other night and found a few pictures of someone who had put twin throttle bodys on an au (i think it was an au, not sure) and it got me thinking, maybe i could do this to my xr6 :D. just wondering if anyone on here has any thaughts or comments on the idea, obviously it would need a tune of some sort and some sort of actuator system for the second tb. so any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated as i would reali like to give this a go.

cheers,

tomo

98%of city drivers will say ''holly s**t'' befor going into a ditch in a snowstorm and 98%of country drivers will say ''hold my beer and watch this''

Post subject: Re: twin throttle body's on an ed xr6?????
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Fordfreak EF is the man to speak to about this, he had made up for his EF :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers KWIKXR, will chase that up.

98%of city drivers will say ''holly s**t'' befor going into a ditch in a snowstorm and 98%of country drivers will say ''hold my beer and watch this''

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Fordfreak EF is the man to speak to about this, he had made up for his EF :wink:

Iam sure his was an ebay jobbie

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yes.. i baught them as an abay jobbie.. and pretty sure they were sold due to the complexity of getting the car to run semi civilised and the amount of custom tuning required..

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yea have been doin alot of thinking on this idea. in order for it to work the way i intend it to there will be alot of electronic components, shouldnt be to complicated provided i take my time and make sure i go through things properly instead of the old "yep looks about right" lol. but i recon i could get away without a tune if i can hook up another 2 or 3 injectors somewhere in the manifold to overcome lean out? (provided this is the only major issue i have), might have to rig up some contraption to take readings from the oxy sensor and supply extra fuel when needed. any thoughts or comments on the extra injectors idea? would be greatly appreciated as every littlie piece of info helps a great deal.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

It isn't worth doing. All the big power N/A 6 and the fastest N/A 6's run single T/B setups. Actually, I can confirm 2 of the 3 fastest street legal E-Series 6's without any form of forced induction ran 13 second 1/4 Mile passes on the stock log manifold. Grechie is the only one I am unsure of.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
It isn't worth doing. All the big power N/A 6 and the fastest N/A 6's run single T/B setups. Actually, I can confirm 2 of the 3 fastest street legal E-Series 6's without any form of forced induction ran 13 second 1/4 Mile passes on the stock log manifold. Grechie is the only one I am unsure of.

Yeah Grechie runs a 4L EB/ED motor still with the log manifold in his full bodied EA sedan with the GT kit.The last film clip i seen of it it ran a 13.7sec quarter.With a 3.9 spooled rear,EA T5 gearbox,rebuilt 4L with a wade cam (thinking it was a 977).His is EA is a N/A 6.

Do a search on here and you should be able to find some handy info about his setup and some clips.cheers

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Yeah Grechie runs a 4L EB/ED motor still with the log manifold in his full bodied EA sedan with the GT kit.The last film clip i seen of it it ran a 13.7sec quarter.With a 3.9 spooled rear,EA T5 gearbox,rebuilt 4L with a wade cam (thinking it was a 977).His is EA is a N/A 6.

Do a search on here and you should be able to find some handy info about his setup and some clips.cheers

In that case, proof is in the results. The 3 fastest Street legal E-Series are all running 13 second 1/4's N/A 6. Grechie - 13.7 - stock log manifold, OED666 - 13.8 - stock log manifold at the time, Turbodrift (different site, Brock EA) - 13.9 - stock log manifold.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Jeez, all stock log manifolds and all boxcars. I want a boxcar now :twisted:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I should note, all times were run with non standard diff gears, all Manuals, and all fairly modified. OED- AU motor, Log manifold, Surecam, Chiptorque, T5Z & 4.11LSD. Turbodrift - Cam ported head, MegaSquirt, spooled 3.9 diff & 6500rpm

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

I'm also pretty sure grechie had the standard motor driven fan...

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yea i agree with what you are all saying but this is only something i want to do as a test or trial just to see if i can get any sort of power gains at all with this set up, only becos i like to tinker with things alot and i thought i would see what you all recon of the idea. if i was gunnna go for a big hp N/A 6 i would have gone a completley different way around it.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Maybe do some research before you start tinkering.

No tune and just hooking up injectors wont work.

The oxy sensor doesnt do anything unless you are at cruise.

ED_XR6_5 SPEED wrote:
yea have been doin alot of thinking on this idea. in order for it to work the way i intend it to there will be alot of electronic components, shouldnt be to complicated provided i take my time and make sure i go through things properly instead of the old "yep looks about right" lol. but i recon i could get away without a tune if i can hook up another 2 or 3 injectors somewhere in the manifold to overcome lean out? (provided this is the only major issue i have), might have to rig up some contraption to take readings from the oxy sensor and supply extra fuel when needed. any thoughts or comments on the extra injectors idea? would be greatly appreciated as every littlie piece of info helps a great deal.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
yes.. i baught them as an abay jobbie.. and pretty sure they were sold due to the complexity of getting the car to run semi civilised and the amount of custom tuning required..

I am the owner of that manifold now and there is no such thing as part throttle drivability with that manifold. I looked at designing a staged setup for it but its too hard to have both throttles reach their maximum opening but open at diferent rates.
IIRC it made more than 175rwkW in an NA application and Im hoping for massive power in a turbo application. Its pretty much a strip only manifold.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next