Wassup with my fans? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Wassup with my fans?
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EFII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi peoples,

This is more of a "WTF?" than a "How do I fix it?" kinda post.
In the 70,000Km+ I have had this EF2 Fairmont Ghia, the thermos have never spun.

This has never really bothered me because it's never come anywhere near overheating. Even on the 40 deg. days we've just had I could sit in the car with the aircon and the thing just idling in park for 45 min after a 20 minute warmup drive, and the temp would barely get to the "O". Nice cool air coming out of the vents. Pop the lid and nope, not a whisper from the fans.

But now that I'm thinking of throwing some money at it to get a bit more shove in the back, I thought I'd check over everything 1st. And I'm not real comfortable with the car thinking it's too cool to need the fans.
Connected straight to the battery they work. Do the KOEO test they work. Tested the relays and they're fine. Not losing coolant anywhere and still a nice green after 7000k's since the last service.

I keep seeing these posts about people's fans always been on, or switching on in the incorrect sequence or whatever, but mine just do nothing and it doesn't seem to bother the car.

So tell me, is there a problem or do I have some kind of infinite heatsink hidden somewhere?!? :?

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: Wasabi Gangsta Mobile

WA, Australia

Mate I have simliar dramas with my thermos (at least I think anyway)..
For 2 years everything was sweet. Temp always sat just above the A in NORMAL. Then my temp started creeping up so I had a blocked radiator replaced with a V8 type. Replaced coolant temp sensor and thermostat, various hoses replaced, overflow cap replaced, complete flush and pressure test etc. Yet if I give the car a thrashing the needle climbs up to around the M and almost R occassionaly. Before it would rarely even get to the M no matter what. That basically leaves thermo fans as the only other possibility? I've tested them with KOEO test and they both come on high. But when driving around in hot situations or with aircon on they only sometimes go from low to high speed. They are always supposed to be on high speed when the aircon is on right??? So my problem is like yours but intermittent instead of all the time. My guess is a relay is intermittently beginning to fail or maybe I have a loose wire????????? Really bugging me too - sorry for the long post.

Supercar front & wing,Ghia bonnet & lights,XR skirts,17s,ABS,slotted rotors,race pads,low 2.5in,lovells springs,KYB shocks,fr camber kit,K&N,mandrel-bent straight-thru zorst,3.23LSD,neons,blue LED dash conversion,XR vents,v8 radiator,oil cooler,big stereo. Needs boost!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

this has happened to me in ym EF...

most days its all good, makes it to 'R' at the max, but twice in the last month it has made it to O and sat there for 10+ minutes before dropping.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Psychlone: Do your fans kick in if you disconnect the coolant temp sensor while engine is running? Because...

OK further to my previous post, today I got the car hot again (just under the R in NORMAL) and pulled over, popped the hood and no surprises- fans on low speed. But, when I pulled the connector off my coolant temp sensor they kicked into very high speed(both). Does this mean it cannot be a faulty relay in my case???

Supercar front & wing,Ghia bonnet & lights,XR skirts,17s,ABS,slotted rotors,race pads,low 2.5in,lovells springs,KYB shocks,fr camber kit,K&N,mandrel-bent straight-thru zorst,3.23LSD,neons,blue LED dash conversion,XR vents,v8 radiator,oil cooler,big stereo. Needs boost!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

My ef's fans when the air conditioner is on (fan speed 3 or high) both the fans come on full speed, but if i have the air conditioner on low 1 or 2 the fans go at a slower speed until the engine temp rises.
I noticed that everyone has ef falcons (in this thread :P ) with your problem you guys say.
i used to have problems with my ea falcon getting a bit hot but that was a timing problem, we dont have to worry bout that with the 'edis' in the ef's.

good luck with it guys
sambo

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

PS: Does anyone know which of the four relays behind the passenger headlight in an EF are the fan relays? I don't have a cover on mine so no labels! :?

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

If the fans are turning on at all, the relay is fine.. but it could be on its way out, or there is s**t inside it....

get it up to normal temperature where you think they should turn on, and check the trigger wire for the relays, it should have 12V...if it does, and the fans are off, relay.. if not, sensor, ECU, wiring.. lots of things.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

2qik wrote:
PS: Does anyone know which of the four relays behind the passenger headlight in an EF are the fan relays? I don't have a cover on mine so no labels! :?

2qik, all 4 relays are for the fans. They work together to switch them to differnt speeds.

I'm going to test my temp sensor this weekend because that's the only thing I haven't tested in the whole fan circuit.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

...no, not all 4 relays are for the fan.... there's headlights, highbeams, horn, starter and fan...??

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:
...no, not all 4 relays are for the fan.... there's headlights, highbeams, horn, starter and fan...??

Cheers

*checking workshop manual frantically*....The 4 relays behind the left headlight are for the fans, should be labelled 1-2-3-4 on the cover.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

...lol. ok, I must be thinking of the wrong relays then...sorry

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Heh, you gave me a scare that's why I just checked the manual, thought I might have tested the wrong ones! :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

What I dont get is that when the coolant gets hot 100deg+, the fans stay on low speed but if I discon the sensor the ECU goes holy crap its really hot cos the needles at the max when theres no signal and turns the fans on hi speed. Does that mean my ECU has shat it? I wouldnt have thought it could be wiring or relays when its acting this way? Maybe I should just buy 4 relays to rule them out.. spensive tho 20bucks a pop i think?

Psychlone, since u have a workshop manual handy...
Does it by any chance show the 4 relays next to the battery as I have no cover for those either.. I know the second from the front is high beam because its flickering like mad and my hi beam has just gone d**k LOL

Sorry Psychlone I have really hijacked this thread haven't I!

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:59 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

2qik wrote:
Psychlone, since u have a workshop manual handy...
Does it by any chance show the 4 relays next to the battery as I have no cover for those either.. I know the second from the front is high beam because its flickering like mad and my hi beam has just gone d**k LOL

Sorry Psychlone I have really hijacked this thread haven't I!

lol! Oh well, as long as problems get fixed then what the hey!

The book says...Starting from the front of the car: Horn, Accessory, HD Lamp, Starter.

There is also the park lamp relay in the fuse box, it's the top right one.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Thanks Psychlone.

I just remembered my mate's gf's dad is a ford master technician.
Called him up, he said best way to check the fan relays is to take one at a time out and plug into park lamp relay(or other relay as long as its the same type), if park lights dont come on its faulty. Failing that, sometimes the contacts burn out so even when u put a new relay in, it makes no difference. Seeing both fans come on high when I do the KOEO test that rules out the motors. The dreaded other scenario is the ECU is stuffed... I'm gona test mine today so will let ya know.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next