Fordmods Logo

What do i need to run el manifold on my ed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: What do i need to run el manifold on my ed
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ed manual

QLD, Australia

Hey all i am seing alot of people on here running el manifolds on the ea eb and ed falcons and getting more power and torque i was wondering what i need to get for my ed to get it running an el manifold

Post subject: Re: What do i need to run el manifold on my ed
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

An EF or EL manifold, not an AU one... All relevant pipe work for the BBM change over, for fuel reg and heater control... An EL computer... BBM solenoid (mounts behind washer bottle)... All intake pipework... Most people on here don't seem to run the braces that support the weight of the manifold to the block (two braces under the manifold), I do, cut and shut to suit the ED block, welded up and ground down and painted, looks factory... That solenoid needs to be wired into the EL computer (pin info on here in the tech docs library up the top under resources)... Fuel rail... Fuel reg... throttle body... Accelerator cable... If you have cruise you need to make up a shorter cable or go to an entire EF/EL cruise control system... All relevant nuts and bolts, intake gasket, may be able to save the throttle body gasket... BBM wiring loom for IAC plug... Some wiring needs shortening, some lengthening... Hardest part is changing the steel pipe running around behind the block to the water pump... The ED one pokes out between runners 5 and 6 on the log manifold and the EF/EL one points down with a special fitting on it for the rubber hose... Time...

See my build thread (the-garage-f53/timmya-s-93-ed-falcon-it-s-running-nice-now-t79040-540.html starts at the end of this page) I did it as part of a head swap as that pipe is easier to get out without the head on there... But can be changed with the head on there all the same... See comments here:

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/p-i-t-a-heater-pipe-removal-t113109.html

Also see Ben's thread: the-garage-f53/benj-s-eb-t5-ghia-wagon-t71774-992.html

Questions, just sing out...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 el ghia

NSW, Australia

Might aswell just use the whole ef/el engine LOL

my build thread

the-garage-f53/maso-s-el-fairmont-ghia-build-t112744.html

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah depends on what works out easier... I bought the complete AU VCT top end so pretty much had everything I required... Wiring, manifold, noses, thermostat housing, steel pipes... Raided an EF/EL for the other bits... Already had an EL computer in my car and the BBM solenoid already installed... So I was halfway home... Good project... Takes a bit of preparation...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hey Tim, is it really worth it ie performance wise. Has anyone just done the manifold swap only on a ea-ed and gone down the drags. How much quicker did it go down the quarter. Cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Depends on your definition of "worth"?

I love it... It doesn't give power... It increases the torque band... So my 0-3000rpm torque (where I drive the car every day) is awesome compared to what is what before (wish I'd actually gotten a value instead of just comparing graphs on the dyno)...

If you were chasing that I'd say well worth it... Plus is was a project to fill in time on the weekend...

If you want to win a drag race, I'd say save for a turbo kit...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

A mate of mine has done flow tests....on a flow bench...and the old log intake flows better than a BBM......go figure...???
The BBM makes the torque curve flatter and longer.
When the weather cools off....it's still hitting over 30*C here....i'll be doing a dyno run to see what I got after fitting the EF XR6 cam......with Log intake.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I don't doubt that at all...

The current F6 motor runs a log manifold while the std 6 runs that new plastic BBM...

The main advantage of the BBM is the length of change in the runners extending the torque curve as you mentioned...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
I don't doubt that at all...

The current F6 motor runs a log manifold while the std 6 runs that new plastic BBM...

The main advantage of the BBM is the length of change in the runners extending the torque curve as you mentioned...

Cheers,
Tim

im with timmyA
i dont care if the log manifold is better for power, i prefer the bbm for everyday driving which the car spends most of its time doing anyway

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I have a EF engine complete in my car so it may be a little more powerful than an Ed motor. However, the power can be felt coming on lower in the rev range where the log has a boggy feel. You will like the upgrade, and it is a good start IMO to basic power gains.

This one helped me HEAPS, especially with the wiring loom parts.

post1181598.html#p1181598

As mentioned though, if you can put an EF/EL engine in, it is not really much more work. The working and electrics all need to be done even if you still use the Ed motor, so it's really the extra work of swapping the block and head (long motor, block and head) as well.

From the top of my head the EF/ELs had 145kw at the flywheel stock, the ED had around 120. The cam and ECU also help get the most from the BBM as well.

Send a pm if you need some help mate.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
I have a EF engine complete in my car so it may be a little more powerful than an Ed motor. However, the power can be felt coming on lower in the rev range where the log has a boggy feel. You will like the upgrade, and it is a good start IMO to basic power gains.

This one helped me HEAPS, especially with the wiring loom parts.

post1181598.html#p1181598

As mentioned though, if you can put an EF/EL engine in, it is not really much more work. The working and electrics all need to be done even if you still use the Ed motor, so it's really the extra work of swapping the block and head (long motor, block and head) as well.

From the top of my head the EF/ELs had 145kw at the flywheel stock, the ED had around 120. The cam and ECU also help get the most from the BBM as well.

Send a pm if you need some help mate.

ef/el had 157kw or 211 hp 357nm of torque at the flywheel, the hp engines of the e series(tickford) had 164 kw(220hp) or 366nm of torque the eb2 and ed had 148kw at the flywheel or 348nm of torque.
this is from wikipedia, probably varies depending on what website you look at lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

You should also remember that especially with an Auto, the EL ECUs have *much* better transmission control.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hey how much influence do you think this had - the ED had 8.8:1 comp ratio, 252/256 cam and 250 kpa fuel reg where as EL had 9.3:1 comp ratio, 264/260 and 275 kpa fuel reg

But "Yes" do agree - I took a mate for a drive in my bog stock ED 4.0L 5 speed log and he recons his EB 4.0L 5 speed snail goes harder from idle :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]