Fordmods Logo

What V6 to fit into a falcon? 

Page 7 of 9 [ 135 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

why not just buy a car you would be happy with, a falcon is a family sadan not a sports car and will never be, i have a EF a XC and a clio sport and the clio s**t all over both and its only a 2L

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

buy an MX5

they have a 50:50 weight distro :P

(waits for the flame)

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just turbo an A.U engine !!!
550 Lb Coil overs will give you all the front end stabilty you want...
With some spring / suspension tune on rear to give you neutral grip.. Then LSD to get powa to ground..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: supercharged eb

NSW, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
buy an MX5

they have a 50:50 weight distro :P

(waits for the flame)
:roll: but its still a mx5 :D

..My fake plant died because I forgot to pretend to water it..

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Just turbo an A.U engine !!!
550 Lb Coil overs will give you all the front end stabilty you want...
With some spring / suspension tune on rear to give you neutral grip.. Then LSD to get powa to ground..

Yay ! a good idea!

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EB91XR6 wrote:
why not just buy a car you would be happy with, a falcon is a family sadan not a sports car and will never be, i have a EF a XC and a clio sport and the clio s**t all over both and its only a 2L

your ef must be a s**t lol, unless your talking about handling......

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
EB91XR6 wrote:

your ef must be a s**t lol, unless your talking about handling......

lol no s**t, id be worried if a 2L clio was beating my falcon

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

id be looking for the rod hanging out of my block if a cleo went past me... :shock:

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

this thread is so bad that i had to read it to the end to see if it could get any worse!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

the depressing part is i havent been on here for a month and the first thing i see when i come back on here was this thread....

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

LOL

take out a 302 windsor to 363 cubes, alloy block, lightweight pistons, alloy heads and carbie with paper filter and no aircon and powersteering to save weight.

oh s**t.....i spent all this money and it still kicks out when i plant it at a corner.

now i need bigger tires.....wait cant do that, the rolling diameter to pie r squared of the 275's dunlops exceed the centre weight of gravity in a falcon.

..... my mum always told me i was smarter then the other kids.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I took a break from this thread. I just read through what has transpired since. The topic sure is polarising.

I'm focused on my AU conversion at the moment, but anyway . . .

Going back to the example e-series car with a dud motor looking for something to put a twinkle in the eye of the owner, how about three comparisons. Lets say we're after something like 250kW.

1. AU conversion, worked or blown. Say $1200 for motor installed and ready to go, plus mods, or forced induction. Total cost $___?

2. BA/BF conversion, worked or blown. Say $4500 for motor installed and ready to go, plus mods, or forced induction. Total cost $___?

3. VG30DETT conversion, plus intercooler. Say $1800 for motor with gearbox, or use original e-series gearbox, plus installation, plus intercooler. Total cost $___?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

One letter and one number for you

2JZ this motor will hold 700 hp with stock internals and very cheap comparibly to mod

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
I took a break from this thread. I just read through what has transpired since. The topic sure is polarising.

I'm focused on my AU conversion at the moment, but anyway . . .

Going back to the example e-series car with a dud motor looking for something to put a twinkle in the eye of the owner, how about three comparisons. Lets say we're after something like 250kW.

1. AU conversion, worked or blown. Say $1200 for motor installed and ready to go, plus mods, or forced induction. Total cost $___?

2. BA/BF conversion, worked or blown. Say $4500 for motor installed and ready to go, plus mods, or forced induction. Total cost $___?

3. VG30DETT conversion, plus intercooler. Say $1800 for motor with gearbox, or use original e-series gearbox, plus installation, plus intercooler. Total cost $___?

Just turbo an AU motor. All up you should have change from 5 grand if done right.

The BA/BF will need a lot of work to get the VCT running, unless you plan on running Motec or spending an eternity splicing in a BA ecu and getting it to try and work I wouldnt bother. The other solution is a set of cam gears and disabling VCT but it would defeat the purpose of shoe horning in a Ba motor.

I wouldnt look at a VG v6 motor, 300zx owners generally trade up because they are slugs.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
The escape engine is Traverse, but that doesnt count it out. I cant remember for sure whats at which end, but there are versions of that engine for RWD application.

Okay, so a ford V6 may still be a worthwhile consideration?

Quote:
I just realised too that you may have had a bum steer on the trans info : The V6 commo box from a VN, and possibly VP were fully hydraulic. You can put them behind anything. Later of course needs an ECU, however you can use the KalMaker Software with any Holden ECU to do the job for not so much money.

Would they be turbo 700's? I think so. I figure you would fit a commo box if you were fitting a commo engine? If you fitted say a pre-ecotec V6 you might consider full LPG, no ECU. That might be a pretty simple option. The engines are rough though.

If you wanted to go alloytech, then i figure you would have to use the alloytech ecu, and then you may as well use the alloytech gearbox run by the ecu? The commodore gearbox with it's lower first gear would in some measure make up for the alloytech's limited bottom end.

But i do reckon the commodore motor isn't worth the effort, although if economy is also a major priority your thoughts might linger for a second. 190kW is a fair bit better than 150kW.

Quote:
On the comment about Holdens Handling : Many of them do, and most of ours that do have had aftermarket work. I just prefer Fords

I think the vn/vp/vr/vs (vt?) commo's up to when they ballooned in weight suffer from having a floppy chassis compared to the equivalent falcon, but their IRS makes up for it in some measure in the handling stakes. I find that mid-corner bumps are the bugbear of any car, and even a bad IRS like that fitted to these model commo's handles them better than a solid axle.

Quote:
Im liking this thread - would be nice if people who had actual usefull info posted rather than ... anyway

I agree . . .
But i do also like rigorous debate and contrary opinions.

To them i say, i understand that V6's are generally less smooth if not much less smooth than I6's, that conversions are a lot of work and money, that weight distribution has only so much value, that a non-falc engine (esp. a commo eng.) would be death for resale, that my car is not tuned for ultimate handling (my car is not what this thread is about).

But, you haven't yet convinced me against an idea like the VG30DETT.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 9  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next