Fordmods Logo

Whats legal and Whats not? P Plate Modding... 

 

Page 3 of 7 [ 101 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 1353

Joined: 15th Mar 2007

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
FPV GT Alex wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
here we go

RESTRICTIONS ON DRIVING HIGH POWERED VEHICLESIf you are a probationary driver and obtained your licence after 1 July 2007, you can't drive a vehicle with:

An engine of eight or more cylinders
A turbocharged or supercharged engine
Certain high performance six cylinder engines
An engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance.

Also when i got my P's none of that stuff applied, im on the 150kw per tonne restriction


Ohh thats awesome for you... that last point however.. an engine that has been modified etc... hmmm thats a hard one to get around..


I just checked, its 125kw per tone. I think mine would be over that aswell, ahwell aslong as u drive proply you wont get picked on




It will help if you understand that there is a place and time for everything.

Put a cam in, do head work, do the exhaust (noise doesnt always mean more power, I had an EL 5 sp that made 190 rwkw and was very quiet, almost standard sound) shift kit in your auto, get a stall converter to get it off the line better, 3.7 or 3.9 diff ratio or even if you can get a xr6 rear axle with 3.45 gears to do a straight swap, a chip and the list goes on.

The cops are'nt going to open your motor to check for mods in there for christs sake.

Just smile and wave at the d**k head in the commodore as he goes past and know that your car can smoke his, or invite him to an isolated road and destroy him there

Just my thoughts!

Bottom line is

 

_________________

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 68

Joined: 15th Jun 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: el

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

i got done the other day for burnouts n was made to go into the local cop shop on a sunday afternoon for a roadworthy inspection. my tyers wearnt legal my cars to low too loud n has too much power. (also has a spool). he jus gave me a lecture for an hour n told me to drive safely n b carefull. usualy if ur nice to them u hope to god there nice 2 u.

 

_________________

97 el falcon, dev 5 package with standard tickford head, rebuilt acl 1mm ova size bottem end, rebuilt auto tranny, 3.7 minispool, au2 rims on ultra lows.
14.65 1/4 165rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 552

Joined: 20th Nov 2007

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Inner suburbs, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
FPV GT Alex wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
here we go

RESTRICTIONS ON DRIVING HIGH POWERED VEHICLESIf you are a probationary driver and obtained your licence after 1 July 2007, you can't drive a vehicle with:

An engine of eight or more cylinders
A turbocharged or supercharged engine
Certain high performance six cylinder engines
An engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance.

Also when i got my P's none of that stuff applied, im on the 150kw per tonne restriction


Ohh thats awesome for you... that last point however.. an engine that has been modified etc... hmmm thats a hard one to get around..


I just checked, its 125kw per tone. I think mine would be over that aswell, ahwell aslong as u drive proply you wont get picked on




It will help if you understand that there is a place and time for everything.

Put a cam in, do head work, do the exhaust (noise doesnt always mean more power, I had an EL 5 sp that made 190 rwkw and was very quiet, almost standard sound) shift kit in your auto, get a stall converter to get it off the line better, 3.7 or 3.9 diff ratio or even if you can get a xr6 rear axle with 3.45 gears to do a straight swap, a chip and the list goes on.

The cops are'nt going to open your motor to check for mods in there for christs sake.

Just smile and wave at the d**k head in the commodore as he goes past and know that your car can smoke his, or invite him to an isolated road and destroy him there

Just my thoughts!

Bottom line is


hey nice advice thx
yeah i was talking about that with my mate at school today, what are the cps going to do be lyk: "Excuse me sir cud you please open up and take apart your engine so i can check for mods?"
lol

I reckon im gonna buy an EF/EL XR6..

 

_________________

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 231

Joined: 4th Jan 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
if you don't drive like a d**k, have it sitting obviously too low or with outrageous rim sizing, have the stereo cranked to the s**t or have a straight through exhaust or a front mount hanging out then unless you get an absolute c*nt of a police officer i think you will be right

oh yeah...or have numberplates with your age on them


if you keep your car subtle you will get away with more.


This is good advice. As far as visible (and audible) mods go, my EF is lowered, has aftermarket wheels and exhaust and I have never been pulled over. I'm off my P's now, but even with 'pull me over plates' I still managed to escape ever being pulled over.

As Skidder said, use your brain when you drive.... not your d**k, keep any visible mods reasonable (20" chromies are not a good place to start, for example) and keep your bloody stereo at a reasonable level and you'll be fine.

I don't understand the point of a crankin' sound system when you're spending money on your engine/exhaust to make it sound nice. If you can't hear the work you've done...what's the point? I have the stock Pioneer sound system in mine with a cheap Pioneer head for the easy iPod interface and that's it. Bit of background music when I feel like it and that's it. 8-) (of course, that's just me... whatever floats everyone else's boat is fine by me)

Anyway.... the long of the short of it is this: If you have a sign on your car that asks the police to pull you over.... don't draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 9

Joined: 8th Jul 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8 Ute

Location: Moree
NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
if you don't drive like a d**k, have it sitting obviously too low or with outrageous rim sizing, have the stereo cranked to the s**t or have a straight through exhaust or a front mount hanging out then unless you get an absolute c*nt of a police officer i think you will be right

oh yeah...or have numberplates with your age on them


if you keep your car subtle you will get away with more.


your spot on the money there skidder sadly i am still on my p's as well and having an 8 i naturally atract alot of attention i have a just high flow cats and dogs so it has a nice loud note lol but mate if you dont act up around a big group of people or carry on like a moron you can just about bet the only thing you will get pulled up for is for one of those not so random breath tests the cops here are really strict as far as cars go and have never questioned me about a thing so personally i would be playing with internals and making it a sleeper to keep the boys in blue off you
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 552

Joined: 20th Nov 2007

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Inner suburbs, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

yeah i agree

 

_________________

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Phantom03 wrote:
skidder wrote:
if you don't drive like a d**k, have it sitting obviously too low or with outrageous rim sizing, have the stereo cranked to the s**t or have a straight through exhaust or a front mount hanging out then unless you get an absolute c*nt of a police officer i think you will be right

oh yeah...or have numberplates with your age on them


if you keep your car subtle you will get away with more.


your spot on the money there skidder sadly i am still on my p's as well and having an 8 i naturally atract alot of attention i have a just high flow cats and dogs so it has a nice loud note lol but mate if you dont act up around a big group of people or carry on like a moron you can just about bet the only thing you will get pulled up for is for one of those not so random breath tests the cops here are really strict as far as cars go and have never questioned me about a thing so personally i would be playing with internals and making it a sleeper to keep the boys in blue off you


but then again what's a car without being outrageously loud, with a massive wog cooler out the front letting the world know your blown....


i wish i was :(

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 18

Joined: 20th Jan 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Currently my car has a 2 1/2inch exhaust, extractors and has been lowered. Last Saturday night at about 2am the police pulled me over and asked me the usually questions but they had no problem with any of the mods on the car. He was even nice enough to let me off a speeding fine. I was very lucky.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

hahahahhaa....was there any intimate details you left out?

jks, but yes thats very lucky

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 436

Joined: 20th Jun 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

I think aslong as you drive accordingly you will be fine. I'm a P plater, usual deal shiny paint, 20inch chrome, gauges on the bonnet, worked and loud 5litre and I have been driving it now for nearly a year, never been pulled over once, except when I was coming home from the drags one night. Looked a bit sus wit the stockies on the back and rubber up the guards. I just showed him the number on my window and the ticket from the drags and said yer sweet aslong as your goin home and i dont see the car out again tonight. Drive like a goose = get in strife. Drive sensible= wont have a problem.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 38

Joined: 22nd Jul 2008

Ride: Pintara >:

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ELXR6lookalike - How do you get away with a 5ltr?

You say "nearly a year" for driving, which means you got your license after July 1st, which restricts your from v8s and turbo/superchargers.

Whats the deal?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 436

Joined: 20th Jun 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

I've had my licence for 2.5 years now but only had the car in question all done up and on the road for nearly a year now. I would have had to have gotten my licence after july 1st this year to not be able to drive a V8, etc. I am pretty sure the car would still be illegal anyways under the old rule 125kw per tonne, but it is a risk I have been willing to take. In saying that though I am off my P's in 3 or so months and I can't wait. Not so much because I get picked on when driving one of my cars but more so for work (I drive semi's for a living) so needless to say I cope some flack with the green P's in the window a 45tonne truck lol.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 38

Joined: 22nd Jul 2008

Ride: Pintara >:

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Ah right, my bad.

I misread "I've been driving it" and didn't realise you meant that car in question, not just having your Ps for nearly a year.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 436

Joined: 20th Jun 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

ah I see, I don't reckon a worked 5litre would be a good idea for any new P plater to be honest. I managed to cause enough mayhem with a standard 6 before i jumped in the 8. Back on topic though if ya wanna mod ya car on the new P plate rules it's definately gotta be done in stealth mode lol.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 38

Joined: 22nd Jul 2008

Ride: Pintara >:

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Absolutely. I'm lookin at getting an ED XR6 soon, to replace my first car, nissan Pintara. And for starts, I am just going to rebuild the motor with a couple knowy guys, give it a fresh paint job and some nice rims.

Then put some small stuff on it to enhance performance little bits at a time.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names