Amp on sub box, Bad idea? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Amp on sub box, Bad idea?
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

can anyone tell me if there would be any problems with screwing the amp to the side of a sub box? any sound difference or worse quality

cheers Mick

Last edited by itlookslikeaxr6 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: AMP ON BOX
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

personally i wouldn't because their is a high chance of all the components in the amps vibrating lose, and then your amp wont work, happened to a mate

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

GT-01 wrote:
personally i wouldn't because their is a high chance of all the components in the amps vibrating lose, and then your amp wont work, happened to a mate

thanks for that will look for new place to mount amp

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you could mount it on the carpet right next too the sub, have you already fix the sub down?

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

GT-01 wrote:
you could mount it on the carpet right next too the sub, have you already fix the sub down?

yer thats the thing the sub is fixed pretty well, there was a gromit in the body of car so we took it out and put a bolt through it, but getting new body shell soonish i hope so i will be able to change it then, the only bad thing about where it is at the moment is that when the seat is up it muffles the sub but when i fold seat down its fine, i dont have rear passenges very often just the gf in front

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh ok, i had same probelm wit subs facing back seat, turn the sub around so the face of the sub is facing the boot, i did it and i reckon it made the bass sound heaps better deeper,

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

GT-01 wrote:
oh ok, i had same probelm wit subs facing back seat, turn the sub around so the face of the sub is facing the boot, i did it and i reckon it made the bass sound heaps better deeper,

was going to do that but the angle of the sub box matches the angle of the rear seat so it sits good, if i turn it around the straight up and down back side of it wont allow me to lock the seat back in place unless i unbolt it and make another hole in car to move it towards back which means it will be hanging off the edge its on and into the boot space, wont look as tidy, i can just drive with half the rear seat down 8-)

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah lol ohwell, looks better the way u have it

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 AUII XR6 ute

QLD, Australia

only problems i've seen with amps mounted directly to the sub box have been from poor quality amps

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

screw it onto the back of the seat, easy !!

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

All good ideas here. I wouldn't have a problem putting it on the box but the back of the seat is better.

As for turning the sub around - I really don't think that's going to make it sound less 'muffled'...
The seat in front should actually make very little difference to the bass - otherwise how would people with subs in the boot hear them? It will only muffle higher frequencies which your sub shouldn't be making anyway.

Subtle but high quality audio system.
Alpine processor and amp / Focal Utopia splits / Soundstream Exact sub

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

I had my amp mounted on my box for over a year in my old car and had no probs, sound quality was decent too. I've done the same on my current car and it's been fine.

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

more about acoustics... you'll find even a competition stereo will sound different in the cabin with the seats folded down. depending on the sub & setup it can either work for or against you.
always better off without something against the face of it though, specially if it's an unported box.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: 04BA XR8 & 06Territory Ghia

VIC, Australia

i don't think it would really matter where u mount ur amps in the boot there still gonna get vibration. I've always mounted mine on the back or side of the box never had any problems.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
screw it onto the back of the seat, easy !!

You would think so, but the sub is right up against the back of seat no room.

maximus wrote:
As for turning the sub around - I really don't think that's going to make it sound less 'muffled'...
The seat in front should actually make very little difference to the bass - otherwise how would people with subs in the boot hear them?

The back of the seat is basicly right up against the sub face (not a perfect seal) and it makes a difference, and for the sub in boot thing the bass(sound waves) bounces around in the boot, but when the seat is againts it the "sound waves" cant go far.

needfordspeed wrote:
I had my amp mounted on my box for over a year in my old car and had no probs, sound quality was decent too. I've done the same on my current car and it's been fine.

Awesome ill just keep it how it is then and if my amp dies then ill buy a bigger one and hook the speakers on to it aswell.

low_ryda wrote:
more about acoustics... you'll find even a competition stereo will sound different in the cabin with the seats folded down. depending on the sub & setup it can either work for or against you.
always better off without something against the face of it though, specially if it's an unported box.

Would a drill hole or two "port" the box:) just to let some presure out is that how it works, Ive got

SB12XB 12" SINGLE VOICE COIL SUBWOOFER $50

2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier GM-3300T $90

and the DEH-P7950UB pioneer head unit cant remember but it was on sale around $350 a while ago.

Tezza Bear wrote:
i don't think it would really matter where u mount ur amps in the boot there still gonna get vibration. I've always mounted mine on the back or side of the box never had any problems.

There would be a fair different level of vibration getting to amp's internals if it was say mounted in boot on the side compared to on the box its self.

Thanks for your help, comments, suggestions, advice guys, but as stated earlier i shall keep my set up the way it is untill either A) the amp dies or B) i get a new car.

Regards, Mick

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next