Amp Power questions 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Amp Power questions
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

ok so i have one alpine type r sub with the new pdx 600w rms amp, under heavy bass levels with the volume up it makes the headlights dim and i think a capacitor would help that. the question im askin is im lookin at puttin another sub and amp in the boot exactly the same as the one's in there.. im just wondering what i should do in regards to powering them.. will i put a capacitor in or bigger battery or new alternator..

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

On the safe side, you're going to need a bigger alternator and a second battery. I'm not sure about the capictor though - I just think if you are going to be putting more in, then leave the capicitor out and just add the alt. and the batt.

$120 for an alt, $100 for a battery plus install (unless you plan to do it yourself).

How many Amps is your alternator rated at?

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

$120 for an alternator, i was under the impression that they were much more expensive than this, unless your just suggesting that he gets his rewound. My alternator fell off the back of a truck so dont know the actual market value however it is bosch and is rated at 120 amps and i have been told they r around the $300 mark.

my two cents

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

Before looking at replacing everything make sure that the wiring is upto spec first, is the cable big enough, is the ground at the back good, is the ground up front of a good size or is it the original factory one?
All these things need to be right before you look at new alternators etc.
People often run big power cables to the rear of the car for their stereo systems but forget to upgrade the ground from the battery to the body and the engine to the battery, these cables are often only barely big enough for the factory requirements.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

also the ford factory wiring for the alt is not very big either you shouldn't' need a new alt just put a good battery in the back

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

The stock alt is 110amps isnt it?

The stock cables are like 8g, with a run or 2 of 4g. Upgrade all your wires to at least 4g, all the earths, power runs, inc alt to battery.

A $100 battery wont do s**t, you need to spend big on a battery if your serious. Ask about Optima's, and what batterys they have that'll do the job as good.

Also, how bad is your dimming?
I'm running 1000rms into a 15, and about 120rms into my front stage, and I can only see the slightest amount of dimming on low beam, and only when a low bass note drops. I cant tell in high beam if its dimming or not.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

Why the second Amp in the first place I got a El-cheapo amp 4ch running two subs (JBL 1000watt). Beats most cars for Bass. But if you must I'd recommend 600CCA battery (largest made for standard sized battery's) and a Larger alternator. A Reco alt will set you back about $210 at most auto elecs. At least in penrith.

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

BTW i never have a problem with amp power and run a 6GA power and earth cable. This is straight to my battery (earth is somewhere else) Never have my lights dim at all. Same system in my EA with 8Ga wires did dim lights.

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

howsie wrote:
Why the second Amp in the first place I got a El-cheapo amp 4ch running two subs (JBL 1000watt). Beats most cars for Bass. But if you must I'd recommend 600CCA battery (largest made for standard sized battery's) and a Larger alternator. A Reco alt will set you back about $210 at most auto elecs. At least in penrith.

Lights prob dont dim cause the amp cant draw enough current as its an El-Cheapo!

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Why 2 amps? Are you serious?

Beats most cars for bass huh.... have a sit in my car for a second then.

My front stage would be getting as much power, if not more than what your subs currently get from the el Cheapo.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

My front stage would be getting as much power, if not more than what your subs currently get from the el Cheapo.

nah my car is fulli sik uleh, 2000w max power boss audio, it like makes my boot rattle

:roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

"nah my car is fulli sik uleh, 2000w max power boss audio, it like makes my boot rattle "

2000 watts of Boss power..... mmm my old Rockford Punch 40 which is 40wrms for the kiddies used to make the boot rattle and the whole garage as well...

These two amps probably put out the same rms power..

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

nah my car is fulli sik uleh, 2000w max power boss audio, it like makes my boot rattle

:roll:

Wow that was a smart thing to say. Cant add anything so you gotta come up with a smart a** reply. Wanker.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

ok so to answer thr questions.. im runnin 4 guage wirin from the amp to the battery, the head lights dim enough to make it noticable.. im not gonna run the one amp cos its gonna cost more to do that than to upgrage the alternator and battery.. my battery is almost a 600CCA battery as it is.. im goin 2 amps for style reasons and so i know the subs are gettin the right power requirements and im not goin el cheapo cos its alpine all round.. they dont know el cheapo.. so the general concensus is to upgrade the alternator and the battery then or just put either a second battery in the boot .. honestly id prefer not to put a battery in the boot cos im goin for the whole stock look for the boot.. and its not a VE Commodore either.. thanks for the help guys

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Okay, but have you upgraded all the under bonnet wiring?
A Cap draws power whilst the car is off too, so it can drain the power if you leave the car sitting for a while.

The CCA stands for cold cranking amps, a deep cycle battery would be the go first as they are generally much more ie >750cca.

Most Alpines are fairly efficient amps, far better than Rockfords and the like. My mono requires an 80amp fuse, but only has a 50 amp fuse in there at the moment, as in run at 2ohms. Only gets warm as well, never even near hot.
My other amp is an Alpine 4ch with a 40amp fuse, but only 2/4 channels are being used, so its only drawing a small current, <15 amps.

With a 100+amp alternator, there will be very little gain if you upgrade alts.

If, after you upgrade your earths to at least 4g, and add at least one more, upgrade your alt power cables and pretty much anything that carries current, your lights still dim, then maybe your alternator is in need of a reco.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next