Fordmods Logo

Battery moving to boot, cable size? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Battery moving to boot, cable size?
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I need some more space in the engine bay. I want to move the battery to the boot. Just after a conversion or a table to convert wire gauge sizes over to CSA or mm squared so I can work out the current and voltage drop.

Jaycar only sells 2ga thats apparently rated to 160A constant. Is this going to be good enough start the car (Heavily worked supercharged 383 Cleveland running bosch gear reduction starter motor) or should I run something thicker or 2 parallel 2ga.

The other idea was to get some mains cable, 35mm or 50mm or something, Id rather use car audio power cable simply because of the flexability.

Does anyone know who sells 0 or 00 gauge in Hobart?

Cheers,

Matt

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

I know mine is only an i6 but I'm only running the equivilant to 4g wire at the moment and I haven't had a problem. I'm using mains wire. That said, 2g should be fine but to reduce voltage drop more you'd definately be better off running 0g. 00g is probably becoming overkill.

Heaps of places sell 0g audio wiring. Motoquipe is one place I know that definately does. Although it's $25/mtr from them. Your best bet is to ring around and get a good price.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Thanks mate. I'll get repco to order some in, we dont have a Motoquipe down here.

Actually just found some on ebay for $17/m, wonder how much postage is going to be...

300A fuse should handle the starter ok (Cable should handle more than that), hope it blows if there is a short...I might try smaller fuses until they blow and go for the next one up.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

Try your local welding supplier, get some double insulated welder cable, its about 12-14mm outside diameter, with a 10mm conductor diameter, and it is double insulated, the stuff i use has an orange outer insulator with a blue inner.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
Try your local welding supplier, get some double insulated welder cable, its about 12-14mm outside diameter, with a 10mm conductor diameter, and it is double insulated, the stuff i use has an orange outer insulator with a blue inner.

Exactly what I'm replacing all my battery wiring with. A lot more hard wearing than audio cable and a hell of a lot cheaper. I was only quoted like $8/mtr with my trade discount.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

yeah, and being double insulated, its a bit safer to use under the car. Dont use audio cable as the insulation is not rated high enough heat wise, and it goes all soft etc, which can lead to a short / fire etc

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
yeah, and being double insulated, its a bit safer to use under the car. Dont use audio cable as the insulation is not rated high enough heat wise, and it goes all soft etc, which can lead to a short / fire etc

You would have to encase it in condute or flexi-pipe if you were going to run it underneath the car.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Also, the mutli stranded speaker wiring has a lot less Resistance in it, so if the car heats up, it will still allow a reasonable amount of current to flow.
If you can get a multi stranded wire (more than the normal 7 strands) and its double insulated then that would be the best stuff to use.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Also, the mutli stranded speaker wiring has a lot less Resistance in it, so if the car heats up, it will still allow a reasonable amount of current to flow.
If you can get a multi stranded wire (more than the normal 7 strands) and its double insulated then that would be the best stuff to use.

Where'd you get this info from?

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

with the different "guages" what do those numbers refer to in conductor area?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The term 'gauge' is simply referring to diameter of a particular wire in terms of the American Wire Gauge (AWG) It's more or less the standard units for wire thickness...

Refer to here http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm or here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge for all your wiring answers! :D

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

A few other car nuts, but i'm a sparky and can see their theory, as i'd never thought about it before they mentioned it.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
A few other car nuts, but i'm a sparky and can see their theory, as i'd never thought about it before they mentioned it.

I know it's been said by "car nuts" but theoretically there's no logic in it! The electrons in electrical current travel on the outside of any conductive surface... Therefore they will travel on the outside of a solid core wire the same way as they will travel on the outside of a multi-cored wire... It's a weird concept as I know for a fact that multi-cored wire DOES present less resistance than solid core... But I can't explain it! :?

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:33 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
EL XR8 wrote:

I know it's been said by "car nuts" but theoretically there's no logic in it! The electrons in electrical current travel on the outside of any conductive surface... Therefore they will travel on the outside of a solid core wire the same way as they will travel on the outside of a multi-cored wire... It's a weird concept as I know for a fact that multi-cored wire DOES present less resistance than solid core... But I can't explain it! :?

One thick solid core would only have a small surface area compared to multi-stranded core. Heat is cause by restricting electron flow, if a electron cannot flow at its full potential, the rest of the energy will be given off as heat. By increasing the number of strands, no matter of what thickness, you are effectively increasing the surface and thus increase the amount of space in which free electrons can flow. More space means less restrictions and thus less energy transformed into heat.

It's like butter. Chuck a block of butter in the microwave and it takes longer to melt then if you were to chop up the butter into 6 pieces before you chuck it in the microwave.

hope that explains that for you

And answer to the topic question...I agree with EL XR8 with the multi stranded wiring with double insulation...would work heaps better. if you can't get double insulated wiring, you can use the wiring conduit as MoNGooSE mentioned.

phong =P~

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

True... But it's wire... not butter :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next