Fordmods Logo

Best amp to run sub 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Best amp to run sub
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Hey i have a Kicker L7 Sub with a 2x325WRMS amp but i wanna change it 2 a Monoblock wat would b the best one to run it on you reaken?

Cheers
Michael

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 653

Joined: 2nd May 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

jaycar ones are good bang for your buck

 

_________________

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

Jaycar, seconded, i had a 4x130wrms amp.

Omg! You know your subs are thumping well when your retinas are bouncing!

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

Yea i was lookin at them but i just wanted to see wat the car audio Geeks would say haha :)

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 1380

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

i have a kicker 1200.1 amp lying around lol that will make it pump as i had 2 L7's running off it lol

 

_________________

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 885

Joined: 14th Mar 2007

Location: Castlemaine
VIC, Australia

monoblocks are a pretty silly idea, a two or four channel amp can be used with any set of speakers and they can be tuned to the same level, the ONLY advantage is that they are more efficient. That is that they dont get hot.

Who cares? 2/4 channel amps have better resale and reuse value.

I've had both and thats my experience :)

 

_________________

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 462

Joined: 29th Sep 2007

Location: S.E Suburbs
VIC, Australia

Alpine V12 monoblock, trust me you won't turn back...

 

_________________

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:44 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

OBS35N wrote:
i have a kicker 1200.1 amp lying around lol that will make it pump as i had 2 L7's running off it lol

How much u want for it :P i can pick up another l7 easy prob :P

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 916

Joined: 7th Oct 2007

Ride: Ford Ed

Location: Edwardstown, Adelaide
SA, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
Jaycar, seconded, i had a 4x130wrms amp.

Omg! You know your subs are thumping well when your retinas are bouncing!

When i had the sub runnin on the 2x325WRMS one i turned the gain up a little 2 much and then turned the car on and my mirror fell off from the bass

 

_________________

Adelaide E Series

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2945

Joined: 24th Jan 2005

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
monoblocks are a pretty silly idea, a two or four channel amp can be used with any set of speakers and they can be tuned to the same level, the ONLY advantage is that they are more efficient. That is that they dont get hot.

Who cares? 2/4 channel amps have better resale and reuse value.

I've had both and thats my experience :)


Sorry but thats a stupid comment...

It's not "monoblocks" that are more efficient, it's "Class D" amps. And just so you know, they do make multi-channel Class D amps. And if you think that having a much more efficient amp is a small positive then you'd be wrong again.

Alpine V12's are fantastic... But overpriced when compared to other amps IMO.

Response amps present best bang for buck but there are a bunch of amps out there that will do the job great.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 582

Joined: 20th Nov 2004

Ride: xr6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
-GAS-MAN- wrote:
monoblocks are a pretty silly idea, a two or four channel amp can be used with any set of speakers and they can be tuned to the same level, the ONLY advantage is that they are more efficient. That is that they dont get hot.

Who cares? 2/4 channel amps have better resale and reuse value.

I've had both and thats my experience :)


Sorry but thats a stupid comment...

It's not "monoblocks" that are more efficient, it's "Class D" amps. And just so you know, they do make multi-channel Class D amps. And if you think that having a much more efficient amp is a small positive then you'd be wrong again.

Alpine V12's are fantastic... But overpriced when compared to other amps IMO.

Response amps present best bang for buck but there are a bunch of amps out there that will do the job great.


I can see where he is coming from as a mono block can only ever have 1 use where a multi channel can be used for anything in the future so they have better "re-use" value...

 

_________________

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2945

Joined: 24th Jan 2005

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

I didn't dispute that. I simply pointed out that it's not monoblock amps that are more efficient. It's Class D amps. And there are multi channel Class D amps on the market. That means that you can buy a multi-channel amp with high efficiency.

Another problem with Class A/B amps running subs is that they usually only run at a max 2ohm load which makes them fairly useless for twin 2ohm voice coil subs as you can't run the sub at 1ohm.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 582

Joined: 20th Nov 2004

Ride: xr6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
I didn't dispute that. I simply pointed out that it's not monoblock amps that are more efficient. It's Class D amps. And there are multi channel Class D amps on the market. That means that you can buy a multi-channel amp with high efficiency.

Another problem with Class A/B amps running subs is that they usually only run at a max 2ohm load which makes them fairly useless for twin 2ohm voice coil subs as you can't run the sub at 1ohm.


Dual 2 ohm subs are fairly rare though in comparison to 4 ohm subs an then finding splits that are less then 4 ohms is even rarer if you decide to change the application later on.
There are Class A/B amps that will run this load (Orion HCCA, Soundstream Ref series etc) but these as stated are certainly in the minority.
The other trouble with Class D is they are generally higher distortion and their life span is unknown at the moment (my Alpines are 14yrs old so far).
They each have their uses, for me though big power into less then 2 ohms is a waste of time as I keep changing things around... I Guess thats the luxury of choice.....

 

_________________

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:40 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 109

Joined: 17th Jul 2008

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

i wish i knew this much hahah.

 

_________________

BRENT#24-go the SAINTERS

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 717

Joined: 12th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: fg xr6t manual, xe 351 ute

Location: penrith, sydney
NSW, Australia

us audio made a good one not sure if they still do was about $400 to $500 and was a 4ch 75wrms per channel so each sub would have 150WRMS which is all most subs can handle. Other than this alpine typeX 1000WRMS ;)

Although i think these are a little pricy. i'm not sure but i think they were $800

 

_________________

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
2010 Fg xr6t manual - stock

ex cars
80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names