ENGINE NOISE COMMING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ENGINE NOISE COMMING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

hey all, i seem to have a problem which has only been a recent occerance, im getting a loud hi pitch noise coming through my speakers that is sync with my throttle and when my wipers are on, can anybody help me out here i have no idea what the problem can be? thanks :D

94'' Ed falcon Gli
5Speed factory manual
SL springs and monroe Gt shocks
clear indicators
180XXXkms
and loud sound sys:)

Post subject: Re: ENGINE NOISE COMMING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Check the connection of the earth cable. it may have come lose over time. Also is your power cable running along the same side as your RCA cables? If so you might want to run the power cable on the drivers side and the RCA cables along the passenger side.

Also if your head unit a Pioneer one?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Also if your head unit a Pioneer one?

What's that got to do with it phongus?

I have a pioneer head unit, and when i swapped in my new alternator i now have electrical noise in the speakers, only when engine rev's rise & fall, sounds fine when the engine is not running. My RCA's run along my amps power wire, i'm going to move them soon, doing some rewiring of the stereo & car in general, but i don't think that's the issue.

My mum had a cd player in her ED recently, doing similar, turned out it was the amp in the cd player causing the issue. I unplugged it & swapped in a spare factory head unit i had lying around, and there has been no noise issues since. I thought about trying the same in my EB Ghia, as i have 2 other spare head units, but it's not a simple plug n play job, as the wiring was butchered when i bought the car.

With the music up loud enough you can't hear the noise in my system, but it didn't matter how loud my mums was up, the noise was there.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

From what I remember, Pioneer head units have RCA out noise depression things or something...when they blow you can here the interference through the speakers much louder than usual.

Also running RCA cables along the amplifier power cable can cause you to hear the interference through the speakers unless you have some sort of interference/noise depression device connected...if RCA cables need to cross power cables, they should cross close to the perpendicular rather than parallel. This is because the RCA cable picks up a small signal through EM fields from the power cable as the electric current through the cable increases. Hence the higher pitch at higher revs as more current flows through the cable from the alternator...and that's why you don't hear anything when the car is idling or off.

I also have a Pioneer head unit...and my last one blew something and there was a s**t load of interference noise coming through the speakers...got a new one and there was less...fixed the rest of the noise by cleaning up the earth connection points on my head unit, amps and also at the engine block, no more interference since.

To stop most noise from speakers, I'd say check your earth connections for head unit, amp and definitely engine block.

Good luck

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Its the RCA earth track fuse inside the unit that blows. They fuse is rather small and sensitive and will blow if it gets a slight spike. They have to be repaired by an Authorised dealer or some s**t, best bet is to flog it off as it will keep doing it.
I had a high end Pioneer a few years back and it did it randomly one day after I flicked on the wipers..... and that was after around 6 months I think of the complete system being installed and untouched since installation :?
Bought a Clarion unit and problem solved.

If you dont have a Pioneer I would suggest adding a new earth for the headunit, as well as for the amp(s) if you have any. Make sure the earth area is sanded clear of paint and the cable as short as possible.
Like Phong said run RCA and power cables on opposite sides (or one down the middle). Generally the power runs down the drivers side and RCA passenger or centre. If you're running cheap-o RCA cables I'd also suggest replacing them with a better brand as the quality and thickness of shielding varies.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Earth on the engine & amp are good. The head unit, doesn't that earth thru the loom and under the top panel of the dash, just below the windscreen?

I will start by checking & cleaning up the dash earth point, then moving my RCA's and see what happens.

I should also note that my mum's ED was just running factory spears off the head unit, no amps or subs. I'm thinking about fitting a factory free air sub for her to make the system sound better. I'm also thinking about fitting a factory free air sub into my system so when i need more boot space & i remove the 12 in the box, i still have some bass. You tend to forget how good it sounds with a sub, until you need to remove it for a while. :cry:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Its the RCA earth track fuse inside the unit that blows. They fuse is rather small and sensitive and will blow if it gets a slight spike. They have to be repaired by an Authorised dealer or some s**t, best bet is to flog it off as it will keep doing it.

It won't keep doing it as they "fix" it :)

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF- Wagon

QLD, Australia

you can buy a part from autobarn and supercheap that stops the wizz noise- just explain t the staff wats going on and they will send u in the right direction.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

nato83 wrote:
you can buy a part from autobarn and supercheap that stops the wizz noise- just explain t the staff wats going on and they will send u in the right direction.

They're called noise filters. Dodgy people use them to cover up problems they can't find.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
It won't keep doing it as they "fix" it :)

When you say 'fix', do you mean replace fuse with a much higher rated one, or just a piece of wire?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Stone wrote:
nato83 wrote:

They're called noise filters. Dodgy people use them to cover up problems they can't find.

Seen them around for about $30 - 40, was thinking about one, but i know i should do a "proper fix".

In older car's they are required as the ignition systems on them don't have any noise suppression, like my LH Torana. I had to fit a noise filter for the head unit. I've been wondering if that's what is playing up in my EB.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

I had a VH Commodore and never needed any sort of noise filter. Pretty sure that's the same sort of ignition system.

You won't NEED one. Part of your install will be causing the noise... You just need to go through and narrow down the problem.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Stone wrote:
I had a VH Commodore and never needed any sort of noise filter. Pretty sure that's the same sort of ignition system.

You won't NEED one. Part of your install will be causing the noise... You just need to go through and narrow down the problem.

Vh was electronic like modern cars. I now have a VH electric dizzy on my 6cyl torry ( was points originally ) & a Vh v8 electronic dizzy on my Hz pano.

The weird thing about my install is it was fine for over 4 years before the issue started. :?:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Did you mention what brand head unit you have? Is it a Pioneer?

[edit]
Found it, since it's a Pioneer the internal fuse has probably blown.

Would you like to know how to check it?

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

run a common ground wire from the amp earth to the head unit earth. This will create a loop ground to eliminate the interference.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next