Fordmods Logo

Help plz! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Help plz!
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

So a high current relay? That's what I have.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Mine is a 200amp. I was even able to jump start the car from the boot battery when the under bonnet battery kicked the bucket...

Member Number 8804

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

OK Cheers so far for all the help guys, But I've changed my mind. I'm gonna blow the budget (probably by a fair bit) And just tell you want i want.

4x subs, Two facing the back seats with the custom work (wood panel carpeted the such) and another two behind them, facing into the boot With the same wood panel carpeted. I'm gonna place the amps in between the panels so there not taking space in the boot and aren't visable. Will crate a shelving system for them to go on, Each with their own fans for running air (i may not understand too much speaker lingo, but i know from OC'ing my PC cooling is a very important factor).

Im planning on using an 2x amps model "Class-D Pioneer GM-D8400M" It says 1x600 (2 ohm) Continuous. So from what you guys have told me i can use them to EACH run x2 300WRMS subs at 1ohm. I'll need a little help here tho as I'm having issue finding any sub that will run at 1ohm, I'm assuming there are some as you mentioned them? 12" I'm after if any one can help there.

Then I'm gonna use a Pioneer "PRS-D4100F" For my mains. It rating is described as "75 Watts x 4 power (RMS) at CEA-2006 specification (US system). " I'm assuming that's the one I'm interested in.

Should splits be at the front or rear? Never mind we can get to that later, These are the splits that caught my interest Pioneer "TS-A1702C" Link Here.

And then I was gonna go Pioneer "TS-D1602R" Link Here For the last 2 speakers.

Now to me this looks like it would require a lot of power, Should i have another battery chucked into this system or can i get away with it? Keep in mind, If i even run the stereo with out the car running, it will only be whilst I'm starting it or maybe listening to something in the radio as i pull up in my drive way.

So tell me what you think on that, As that's what I'm going to aim for, Tax time is soon and i can afford to blow my budget atm. Based on RRP's that's $2500 I'm sure i could score at least 400 off that if i shop around if not more. Also any suggestions on head decks? I've got one I'm willing to use, But if i can save from shopping around i may look at a new one :D

Cheers Frankie

*EDIT*

After googling 1ohm subs i came across a forum (yank fomum :shock: ) And someone there said a DUAL 2ohm voice coil type, can be wired as a 1ohm, can someone clarify this for me? If its the case i can go with the subs i originally looked at, Cheers

Signature removed. Refer to forum guidelines.....

^^^ Makes a lovely Siggy, Think i'll stick with it :D

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

FrankTheDuck wrote:
Should splits be at the front or rear?

Run the splits up front and use the coaxials as rear fill. You don't want to be dragging your sound stage towards the back :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

FrankTheDuck wrote:
After googling 1ohm subs i came across a forum (yank fomum :shock: ) And someone there said a DUAL 2ohm voice coil type, can be wired as a 1ohm, can someone clarify this for me? If its the case i can go with the subs i originally looked at, Cheers

That's right but you don't want 1 ohm subs because to get 2 ohm that the amp wants, you'd have to run te subs in SERIES which you should not do.

You'd get dual 2 ohm subs and wire the coils in series so each sub is 4 ohm and then wire the 2 subs in parallel.

I'll reply to the rest of your post when I get to work :)

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

With that system, I would run a battery in the boot.
You could save some space by using a heavy duty 4cyl battery.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

FrankTheDuck wrote:
OK Cheers so far for all the help guys, But I've changed my mind. I'm gonna blow the budget (probably by a fair bit) And just tell you want i want.

4x subs, Two facing the back seats with the custom work (wood panel carpeted the such) and another two behind them, facing into the boot With the same wood panel carpeted. I'm gonna place the amps in between the panels so there not taking space in the boot and aren't visable. Will crate a shelving system for them to go on, Each with their own fans for running air (i may not understand too much speaker lingo, but i know from OC'ing my PC cooling is a very important factor).

Ideally, you don't want 2 facing forward and 2 facing rearward. It'll cause some cancellation issues with the sound. You'd be better off spending that same amount of money on 2 much better subs and then building a really good box for them. It'll be just as loud and sound better due to being better subs.

FrankTheDuck wrote:
Im planning on using an 2x amps model "Class-D Pioneer GM-D8400M" It says 1x600 (2 ohm) Continuous. So from what you guys have told me i can use them to EACH run x2 300WRMS subs at 1ohm. I'll need a little help here tho as I'm having issue finding any sub that will run at 1ohm, I'm assuming there are some as you mentioned them? 12" I'm after if any one can help there.

See my previous reply about sub wiring.

FrankTheDuck wrote:
Then I'm gonna use a Pioneer "PRS-D4100F" For my mains. It rating is described as "75 Watts x 4 power (RMS) at CEA-2006 specification (US system). " I'm assuming that's the one I'm interested in.

That amp is fine.

FrankTheDuck wrote:
Should splits be at the front or rear? Never mind we can get to that later, These are the splits that caught my interest Pioneer "TS-A1702C" Link Here.

And then I was gonna go Pioneer "TS-D1602R" Link Here For the last 2 speakers.

Those speakers are alright. Your rear speakers are actually nicer sounding than the fronts, but if you wanted the fronts to be better you'd need TS-C171PRS.

FrankTheDuck wrote:
Now to me this looks like it would require a lot of power, Should i have another battery chucked into this system or can i get away with it? Keep in mind, If i even run the stereo with out the car running, it will only be whilst I'm starting it or maybe listening to something in the radio as i pull up in my drive way.

You will have 1500Wrms total power which would not require a 2nd battery, just some decent sized wire. Go all out and use 0ga :) I've been using 2800Wrms and then 2400Wrms worth of amps with a single battery fine. Now that I'm upgrading to 3600Wrms I'm finally putting a 2nd battery in.

FrankTheDuck wrote:
So tell me what you think on that, As that's what I'm going to aim for, Tax time is soon and i can afford to blow my budget atm. Based on RRP's that's $2500 I'm sure i could score at least 400 off that if i shop around if not more. Also any suggestions on head decks? I've got one I'm willing to use, But if i can save from shopping around i may look at a new one :D

Just make sure you get one with 3 sets of RCAs and whatever other features you want. You can't really go wrong with Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion, Kenwood or JVC. Just make sure you use them before you buy so you like the user interface.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Stone wrote:
That's right but you don't want 1 ohm subs because to get 2 ohm that the amp wants, you'd have to run te subs in SERIES which you should not do.

You'd get dual 2 ohm subs and wire the coils in series so each sub is 4 ohm and then wire the 2 subs in parallel.

Yea your right with the way you want to wire the subs up. But i really dont get your stand against running subs in Series... It works. Thats exactly what you do when you are using 2 voice coils in a sub...
OR you could just get 2 4ohm Single voice coil subs and run them in Parrallel..

Stone wrote:
Those speakers are alright. Your rear speakers are actually nicer sounding than the fronts, but if you wanted the fronts to be better you'd need TS-C171PRS.

Yea, Thats the funny part. I have the speakers you want to use in the back and they do sound better than the components he listed. He really should get the TS-C171PRS.

Stone wrote:
Ideally, you don't want 2 facing forward and 2 facing rearward. It'll cause some cancellation issues with the sound. You'd be better off spending that same amount of money on 2 much better subs and then building a really good box for them. It'll be just as loud and sound better due to being better subs.

+1
And you save money on the Amps to power it.

I personally like Alpine head units for their iPod interface.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

jrloz wrote:
Stone wrote:

Yea your right with the way you want to wire the subs up. But i really dont get your stand against running subs in Series... It works. Thats exactly what you do when you are using 2 voice coils in a sub...
OR you could just get 2 4ohm Single voice coil subs and run them in Parrallel..

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=163 wrote:
It is far less desirable to make subwoofer to subwoofer connections in series. Because of slight and unavoidable differences between speakers and because of the high likelihood of uneven loading between different speakers in a car, there will be slight differences in the mechanical behavior of the two speakers in series. These differences in movement result in induced voltage (called back EMF) being created by the speakers across the series connection. This effect causes a problem when two speakers which behave differently are connected in series because the speakers can modulate each other (cause each other to move), resulting in distortion. The problem becomes more serious as more speakers are connected in series.

A good experiment to show the effect of back EMF is the following: connect four speakers in series and short the positive and negative input leads of the series circuit. Push down on one cone with your hand; you will notice that the three other speakers will move in the opposite direction of the one you are pushing. Now, reconnect the speakers in parallel, short the inputs and push down on one cone. The speakers will not modulate each other because each one is shorted directly.

Back EMF modulation is not a concern when the voice coils of a dual voice coil speaker are wired in series to each other because the coils are physically coupled on one moving mass. Therefore, they cannot possibly modulate each other because they cannot move independently.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well you learn something every day. Cheers :D

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

Yea as i was "attempting" to sleep i thought maybe just two subs would be the better way to go (mainly as a cost measure, I failed to think about the noise interference from each other :oops: )

Time to start heading out and listening to things i think, Cheers for all the info guys :D

Frankie

Signature removed. Refer to forum guidelines.....

^^^ Makes a lovely Siggy, Think i'll stick with it :D

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Good Luck mate!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2