Fordmods Logo

Help required installing aftermarket radio in Ford EL Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Help required installing aftermarket radio in Ford EL Falcon
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL GLi

NSW, Australia

Hello, this is my first time posting here, I've searched multiple forums but don't have much of a solid idea of how to replace the normal Tape player in the Ford Falcon GLi with a aftermarket one (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps- ... sku-98381/) I managed to take out the frame that contains the cigarrete holder and lighter (I think it is called a Facsia). I managed to take the factory tape unit out of the car and disconnect the wiring. So far so good.

The new unit came with something called a mounting sleeve, and it gots all these strange holes on it, and I guess that the new radio goes into the sleeve, but how does the mounting sleeve mount to the car? There is no where on the car to screw it or something...... The sleeve fits just right with the correct width, but without anything to mount it, it falls down. The factory tape had this mounting bracket with screws on it which go into the front. I tried taking the factory mounting bracket off the old tape and place it on the new one without the sleeve but it didn't work, only 1 or 2 small holes slightly aligns to the new unit and that doesn't provide enough strength for it to stay in the car securely.

I also did something wrong to the factory radio by entering the code wrong 3 times after I put it back , how do I recover it ? I waited for like 3 hours with everything turned off... same thing. Disconnected the battery too.

Thanks in advance, please help me fix these issues.

Post subject: Re: Help required installing aftermarket radio in Ford EL Falcon
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Hey mate, I did the same to mine a few months ago. I wouldn't particularly recommend it, but it may give you an idea.

So I had the same problem, the factory bracket has the screws at the side, yet the bracket for my new head unit had bugger all, and the factory mounting brackets do not fit on the new one. So I had to resort to a bit of creativity and dodgyness. I had some Araldite (really strong 2 part glue), so I used that. Have a look at the factory one and where it sits in the housing (From memory it is wide, then goes narrow where the stereo sits, then wider again), pay particular attention to how far it sits out. Then compare the factory one with your a/m one. Put the bracket around your new one, and put them side by side on a table. Where the factory bracket sat at the front of that housing, compare that to your new one draw a line with a sharpie on the bracket. Now mix up some Araldite, and apply it to the sides of the bracket. Put the bracket into place, and have it sitting so that line is at the edge of the housing. Use some C clamps to hold it together for at least 2 or 3 hours, but the longer the better. Take them off and the bracket should be sitting there. Then put the head unit in and the fascia over the top.

Again, its a bit dodgy, and I'm sure a few people on here will give me a bit of s**t over it, but it worked for me. The main thing I found is that it is important to not sit it too far back (hence drawing the line). I didn't do that when I did it and it doesn't sit as far out as I'd like.

As for the security code, any time the battery is switched off, or the radio is removed from a power source, it will ask for an anti theft code. Without this it is useless stealing it. Have a look in your glove box. There's probably a little folder with your manual. The security code, a 4 digit code, should either be on the inside cover, or on a little card, I can't remember exactly

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

You are better off modifying the factory bracket to suit the new head unit. ie, drilling holes in it to suit the head unit. Make sure that any screws going into the stereo aren't too long as they can be driven into delicate electronics within.

Welcome to FordMods.

Cheers,

Evan.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
You are better off modifying the factory bracket to suit the new head unit. ie, drilling holes in it to suit the head unit. Make sure that any screws going into the stereo aren't too long as they can be driven into delicate electronics within.

Agreed there, which is why I said I don't particularly recommend my way. It's much more reliable using the factory brackets. I tried for ages to get the factory brackets to sit on the head unit, even going at them with a bench grinder, but it wouldn't sit flush with the head unit, and there wasn't anywhere suitable to put any holes.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]