Fordmods Logo

is this car stereo any good? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: is this car stereo any good?
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

hi guys im looking at buying this stereo for my ef fairmont

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-JVC-KW-XR416-Double-Din-CD-MP3-WMA-USB-Car-Stereo-/140468912178?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b4998032

now as its a double din it does not have a detachable face that im aware of so to try and protect it from being stolen im gonna use tamper proof screws to hold it in is there anything else i can do to protect it as my brother had the same unit in his vt commodore and it got stolen with the dash even getting damaged?

also is it a good unit?

Post subject: Re: is this car stereo any good?
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

my mate had one in his vt and it was ok he ran a sub off it and it worked fine, can i ask as to why you want a double din unit that doesnt play dvd's? also i see you wanted a double din stereo surround. you can modify the original one by cutting it out and it will work just as good as a bought double din surround

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
my mate had one in his vt and it was ok he ran a sub off it and it worked fine, can i ask as to why you want a double din unit that doesnt play dvd's? also i see you wanted a double din stereo surround. you can modify the original one by cutting it out and it will work just as good as a bought double din surround

dont wanna spend more then $200 on the stereo also how do i modify the single din

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

also does anyone know if i need a second set of clips as its a double din?

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:

Don't think so mate. My 2 din hooks at the top, has 1 clip on the bottom right and a screw on the bottom left. I assume it would be the same.

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TheELghia wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:

Don't think so mate. My 2 din hooks at the top, has 1 clip on the bottom right and a screw on the bottom left. I assume it would be the same.

can u show me apic of what u mean mate

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i just fitted the XR-416 in my AU, im happy, sound is 10x clearer than factory premium sound, although i cant see it sounding any different than the sony headunit in your sig?

only thing i regret is not spending the extra $20 on the XR-616 and be able to choose different colour displays and having it compatable with steering wheel controls (when using a $200 adaptor :roll: )

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... p=15&_sc=1

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Hi mate, ive got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-JVC-KD-R ... 20be896843

I would recomend JVC to anybody after using it. It would be a better unit if you will go a single din.
The Dot Matrix screen makes navigating music stored on a USB easy as, has an excelent equaliser, 3 5 volt RCA outs and will be much easier to fit.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

dont wanna spend more then $200 on the stereo also how do i modify the single din

you can cut out the little pocket under the single din and its a double din, still didnt really answer my question why you want a double din instead of a single :| i dont really like the look of the double din stereos altho its all about what you like when its your car, have a look on ebay for the cheapo stereos and dvd players there is the eonon branded ones which are actually pretty good quality for the price a few fmods members here use them with no problems

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

you can cut out the little pocket under the single din and its a double din, still didnt really answer my question why you want a double din instead of a single :| i dont really like the look of the double din stereos altho its all about what you like when its your car, have a look on ebay for the cheapo stereos and dvd players there is the eonon branded ones which are actually pretty good quality for the price a few fmods members here use them with no problems

sorry mate i misunderstood ur question i like the look of double dins there are a couple cheap ones for around $160 on ebay with dvd players and what not built in to them but i like the look of this jvc

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

save up and get a single din with 3 pre outs, that way you can have front and rear speakers amped as well as a sub without having to use splitters.....

don't just go out and buy what you can afford at them moment, future proof yourself.....

also think about joining Mobile Electronics Australia as the site is full of useful car audio information......

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

bry40l wrote:
still didnt really answer my question why you want a double din instead of a single :| i dont really like the look of the double din stereos

maybe because they look better than a skinny CD player with a pocket underneath it? :lol:

also not sure why DVD player is important as its pretty bloody hard to watch full length movies while driving to the shop

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BEAR80 wrote:
save up and get a single din with 3 pre outs, that way you can have front and rear speakers amped as well as a sub without having to use splitters.....

don't just go out and buy what you can afford at them moment, future proof yourself.....

also think about joining Mobile Electronics Australia as the site is full of useful car audio information......

believe it or not i had a single din stereo with 6 rca 2 were for tv out

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
bry40l wrote:
still didnt really answer my question why you want a double din instead of a single :| i dont really like the look of the double din stereos

maybe because they look better than a skinny CD player with a pocket underneath it? :lol:

also not sure why DVD player is important as its pretty bloody hard to watch full length movies while driving to the shop

whats the screen above ya player?

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
BEAR80 wrote:

believe it or not i had a single din stereo with 6 rca 2 were for tv out

I mean 3 sets of pre outs for amplifiers.....

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next