Fordmods Logo

Problems with alarm and battery!!! Please help!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Problems with alarm and battery!!! Please help!!!
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Ok... Two problems... They may be linked... Giving me the absolute s**t!

First one...
My alarm is randomly going off.

I've got a Rhino RSA 2-way pager system with ultrasonic sensors and tilt sensor. I got it installed (at great cost) two weeks ago.

Every few hours, for no apparent reason at all my alarm will go off. On my pager it shows a little picture of a surveillance camera as the reason for the alarm going off. When I looked this up in my instruction booklet it said that this little symbol meant the my "optional sensor" was setting the alarm off. So I adjusted the sensitivity on my ultrasonic sensors to the lowest setting but the alarm keeps randomly going off!!! So I disconnected the ultrasonic sensors altogether! But wouldn't you know, the alarm is still going off...

So that is my first problem! Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Second problem...
My battery is draining, going dead flat, in less than 8 hours! I went to start my car yesterday and it turned over once then wouldn't do anything else. So I swapped batteries with a massive one in my parents mobile home and put the dead one on the charger where it remained all night and all day today.

Over night I disconnected the other battery from my car so it wouldn't get drained as I had to work early this morning. I connected it back up this morning and drove it to work. 7 hours (and two false alarm set offs) later I thought I better go out and make sure my car would start before work finished. And surprise surprise the battery was DEAD FLAT! I got a mate to jump start me, drove the car home and now my first battery is in the car and the spare one is on the charger. This rules out the possibility of a dud battery.

This is the worse of the two problems. It's really giving me the s**t, I have no idea why it's doing it. I've got a circuit breaker on my main power line to my amps for my car stereo which I switched off during work today so the only thing I can think of is something in my alarm or something else draining it. It would have to be something fairly substantial in order to completely drain a full charged NZ70 battery in 7hours

Any help would be fantastic!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 06 Teritory,mod Capri,XE falcon

NSW, Australia

To flatten the battery completly in that time,is a huge power draw..as to what,well.......Did this happen before alarm installation?If not,well i would be talking to installer as it sounds like they have tapped the wrong wires for alarm.Alarm sounding could be because it believes the battery has been disconnected because of low battery voltage.......

Getting old is a fact,maturing is optional......

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

My battery only died once before the alarm was installed which is why I'm thinking the alarm or something to do with the installation is the problem.

As my system is a 2-way pager, my little remote shows me exactly what has triggered the alarm. I thought about the low voltage thing but there's a different symbol for that.

I will be talking to the installer and taking the car back in to have everything checked. But what I don't understand is why, if I had the alarm installed two weeks ago, the first problem I have with the battery is last night!

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 06 Teritory,mod Capri,XE falcon

NSW, Australia

Have you installed any other device since then(amp,head unit,mobile accessory,etc)?Gotta be a draw of some description,otherwise battery is cactus..........

Getting old is a fact,maturing is optional......

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Like I said... completely out of the blue.

And I've tried two batteries.

I'm gonna have a fiddle tonight when I finish work and see if I can't figure out what's causing it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]