Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: what are these??
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 XH XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone

I was looking to replace some speakers in my XH to try and get some better sound and ive hit a brick wall. I dunno what type of speakers these are and i want to know if you can put some 4" in there place. My bro seems to think the might be tweeters but im just not sure they dont work so any info will help.

thanks
wobbo

Attachments:
speaker.JPG
speaker.JPG [ 620.71 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]

ONE FOR RUM AND RUM FOR ALL

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Paceys, hi flow cat and many more still to come

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

they sure do look like tweeterz...

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

My guess is aftermarket tweeters......

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

pull the grille off and have a look!

Banned

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i did and there not connected there just sittin there i think they are tweeters but i wanna change them for 4" speakers but i wanna know if they will fit in the space

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

they would be after market tweeters. What are the speakers in th doors. What i am thinking is these tweeters are part of component speakers hooked into your doors however are not hooked up for some reason. Did you just get the car or had it since new.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

They're the std dash XH speakers - I'd say mid range/ high freq. With the stock radio, the fader varies the volume level between it and the door speaker.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I can confirm for you they are standard Ford 4" speakers. They are exactly the same as the ones in the door.

The reason I know this is because I just replaced today my with some cheap Sony 4" speakers which improved the sound.

Unfortuntley they are not tweeters.

I was also going to replace the ones in the door with some 6" speakers but unfortunately it was going to require a far bit or modding to the door and the trim and I didn't think it would be worth it.

I'm in the process of working out how I can put some 6" or 6"x9" somewhere behind the seats. If you have any ideas let me know.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

Why try and fit 6x9's behind the seats.

If you have the 4"s in the doors and the dash then why not try and fit Jaycar 8" subwoofers behind the seats.

As you would already have the high and mid frequencies covered and would just require the low frequency rear fill to enhance the audio experience

i remember seeing a Ute at the All Ford Day here in Adelaide with a sub behind each seat.

Had a really small amplifier and they were in smallish boxes mounted at an angle.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EACRUISER wrote:
Why try and fit 6x9's behind the seats.

If you have the 4"s in the doors and the dash then why not try and fit Jaycar 8" subwoofers behind the seats.

As you would already have the high and mid frequencies covered and would just require the low frequency rear fill to enhance the audio experience

i remember seeing a Ute at the All Ford Day here in Adelaide with a sub behind each seat.

Had a really small amplifier and they were in smallish boxes mounted at an angle.

How much would sub/s cost me? How many do I need to install? What brand/model should I buy (mid range Quality). How should I mount them? Do I need to make some form of box, or can I just mount them directly behind the seats on the panel?

Sorry I have to admit I don't know much about brands/quality/type etc when it comes to audio.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

when i got the car it had 2 alpine 6x9's behind the seats and the lady took them out after i purchased it so i got 2 massive holes behind my seats that need to be filled (car gets alot more dirty inside when i travel for work).
The speakers or tweeters whatever you wanna call them aren't working and a mate said the same thing that they are prob hooked into the ones in the doors and they are just standard 4" speakers.
i was going to get a sub but it is such a small cabin space that some good alpine or pioneer 6x9's would be enough to make it sound good and interms of mounting it i don't want it to stick into the tray for work reasons as it would get damaged with tools and ladders and stuff.
But if there is anyone who has seen or made the subs fit i would like to see it for future reference.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:37 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I would say a Jaycar 8inch Sub mounted behind the drivers seat and another Jaycar 8inch Sub mounted behind the passenger seat.

Relatively small subs just to provide the bottom end response.

A cheap $100 - 200 amp would run these subs very nicely.

I had in my first car (1984 Nissan Pulsar ET), 2 8" Jaycar subs which cost me $125 and a cheap 4 channel amp from Supercheap Auto which i paid $200 for. These worked really well with the factory speakers and didn't give crazy bass. just filled in the bottom end which is what you would be doing with the 6x9's.

The reason i say put subs in is the fact that the midrange and tweeters in the 6x9s would be muffled by the seats and would sound poor. waste of good speakers really.

All up if you made some small boxes that fit on an angle in cabin behind the seats you could fit these small speakers in there.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EACRUISER wrote:
I would say a Jaycar 8inch Sub mounted behind the drivers seat and another Jaycar 8inch Sub mounted behind the passenger seat.

Relatively small subs just to provide the bottom end response.

A cheap $100 - 200 amp would run these subs very nicely.

I had in my first car (1984 Nissan Pulsar ET), 2 8" Jaycar subs which cost me $125 and a cheap 4 channel amp from Supercheap Auto which i paid $200 for. These worked really well with the factory speakers and didn't give crazy bass. just filled in the bottom end which is what you would be doing with the 6x9's.

The reason i say put subs in is the fact that the midrange and tweeters in the 6x9s would be muffled by the seats and would sound poor. waste of good speakers really.

All up if you made some small boxes that fit on an angle in cabin behind the seats you could fit these small speakers in there.

Given what you have said, wouldn't it be cheaper just to put a set of 6x9's in, rather than having to buy a $200 amp? Sound wise it would be reasonably good wouldn't it?

I'm not looking to crack the windscreen, just a little more 'body' to the sound.

Dunno?

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i would have to agree i don't wanna have to pay like $300 for two subs and a amp when i can just spend $150-$180 for a reasonably good pay of 6x9's and i don't think ill really notice the differance.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Sorry, just i know that a good pair of 6x9's can cost up to $800 - $1200

I Spent $400 on a semi decent pair for my 2nd car (VL) (i won't admit i ever had it) they were kenwoods so i was just trying to suggest a cheaper option.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next