Fordmods Logo

what do people reckon of this? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: what do people reckon of this?
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 22

Joined: 12th Mar 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

i have been looking around for a while for a good package deal audio system. just got a strathfield catalogue today, and there is one that has caught my eye. it is a KENWOOD pack. it consists of:

200W mp3/cd tuner with front aux, 2 pre-out, 14 segment FL display, ID-3 tag
2x 350W 3 way 6"x9" speakers
2x 260W 3 way 6" speakers
2 channel 350W amp.

for $358
i am not looking at getting a sub for now, mainly because the music i play doesnt really call for one and i just want a good in car audio system, as simple as possible. this seems good for me, but some feedback would be good re: is KENWOOD a good brand, does that all sound good etc.

cheers

 

_________________

i skateboard too!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1008

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Ride: ED V8

Location: driving under the sun........now!
WA, Australia

If you're not a real audiophile, then it'll do the job...... not especially well, but it will do the job.

But..............

Problems you'll have depend on what car it's going into really.

6x9's will not fit into a falcon parcel shelf without spacers (ugh) or chopping the structure (illegal).

6x9's are better for bass than a set of 6" coaxials etc but still not great (esp in a car the size of a falcon).

the 6" 3 ways are not going to sound great, if only because they will have poor staging. (all the sound from the front will sound like it is coming from your feet).

If I were you (and bare in mind that I am a bit of a car stereo fan) I'd be going for a decent head unit throwing at least 50w rms x 4 into a reasonably decent set of 6 - 6 1/2" splits (alpine type s would probably do the job) for the front and a good set of 6" two or three ways for the back for fill.

This, in my mind, is a better way forward than the proposed package because, if as you say, you are not that desperate for bass, it'll be a far more clear sound. It also means you are getting better gear for your money (lasts longer and sounds better for lots of reasons) and gives you a better platform from which to build at a later date. ie amps and subs etc.

The headunit alone will provide enough power for you to enjoy your music reasonably loud (if you want) and alone, will sound soooo much better than the standard system you have now.

If you go this way, and save for a 10" sub and suitable mono block amp to drive it, you'll be so much happier with your purchases in the long run than you would with that package you mentioned.

If you're anything like me, you'll want to build on it sooner rather than later!

On another note, I'm not a fan of Kenwood stuff. Always feels cheap and pretty nasty to me.... I guess it's cheap for a reason! If you want my advice, stick with Alpine HU's. Their speakers are not too bad for the budget conscious buyer too, but there are far better out there. There are far far far worse around too!

 

_________________

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 22

Joined: 12th Mar 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

wow! that has to be the best reply i have ever had on this site! cheers.
i am from perth, and yeh not to savvy on the whole audio unit.
its an ED 1994 falcon.
what would a rough estimate for that setup you suggested? just the head unit, the 2x 6" splits for the front and the 2x 6" for the back, all alpine.
any recommendations as to where to have a look for this stuff?
cheers again

 

_________________

i skateboard too!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

philaddis wrote:
the 6" 3 ways are not going to sound great, if only because they will have poor staging. (all the sound from the front will sound like it is coming from your feet).


Well not true. Falcons have a great stock front stage, even though there tweeters leave a bit to be desired. You wont get mids much higher in any car than where the Falc has them.


philaddis wrote:
If I were you (and bare in mind that I am a bit of a car stereo fan) I'd be going for a decent head unit throwing at least 50w rms x 4 into a reasonably decent set of 6 - 6 1/2" splits (alpine type s would probably do the job) for the front and a good set of 6" two or three ways for the back for fill.



Well, considering you cant get a 50rmsx4 h/u, I think he might be outta luck. A normal hu is about 10-15rmsx4 - but 50w max (which means nothing). To get 50rms you need a half decent 2/4 channel amp.
If you're on a budget get a 4channel - amp your fronts, and then bridge the amp to run a sub in the boot - a preboxed 12" pioneer/kenwood cheapie will make the world of difference.


I wouldnt waste money on rears either - spend that on the sub, but if you must just get some Pioneers on special for $39. The money you saved on the 6x9s will be much better spent on a sub.


I do agree in getting some half decent splits, however I would recommend Jaycars over Type S Alpines, cheaper and sound better, IMO. there are plenty of others out there, but these are the best budget splits I can think of right now.


If you're not an audiophile or bass head - a 4channel with over 50rms @ 4ohms will be plenty.
Jaycar splits are like $150, and are very good.
I wouldnt get a kenwood hu, but choose whatever you like. I would go a pioneer over a kenwood, and an alpine or clarion over them both.
rears - wgaf.[/b]

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1008

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Ride: ED V8

Location: driving under the sun........now!
WA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Well not true. Falcons have a great stock front stage, even though there tweeters leave a bit to be desired. You wont get mids much higher in any car than where the Falc has them.


s**t..... Falcons, like any standard car, have a shocking standard stereo (even in premium IMO). The staging is helped by the location of the mids, correct, and you are right the tweeters are crap, but we are talking about running a straight 3 way in the door. No tweeter now. (Why would you want to persist with those POS anyway?) The staging in that case will still be bad to average regardless. I stand by my comments.

krisisdog wrote:
Well, considering you cant get a 50rmsx4 h/u, I think he might be outta luck. A normal hu is about 10-15rmsx4 - but 50w max (which means nothing). To get 50rms you need a half decent 2/4 channel amp. If you're on a budget get a 4channel - amp your fronts, and then bridge the amp to run a sub in the boot - a preboxed 12" pioneer/kenwood cheapie will make the world of difference.


Sorry mate, my mistake.... I meant PMPO..... Still going to be a hell of a lot better than the standard deck output. I was talking about getting a HU with a decent output because, as per the original post, he is on a budget and looking for SQ, not SPL for the sake of it. Less (better quality) gear for a little more money is always a better way to go when looking for SQ.

krisisdog wrote:
I wouldnt waste money on rears either - spend that on the sub, but if you must just get some Pioneers on special for $39. The money you saved on the 6x9s will be much better spent on a sub.


Here again, we are moving into territory involving a fair bit more outlay of money by talking about subs and amps..... that's up to him. But I wouldn't be leaving the standard ford speakers in there for any reason. Fill may be fill, but it can still badly degrade a system if not properly looked after.

krisisdog wrote:
I do agree in getting some half decent splits, however I would recommend Jaycars over Type S Alpines, cheaper and sound better, IMO. there are plenty of others out there, but these are the best budget splits I can think of right now.


It's all a matter of opinion.... I like the Alpines and don't like the Jaycars.... I think they are a bit flat and again, they are cheap for a reason. Besides, I was just using the S types as an example. As you say, there are lots of different brands out there. Listen to some and choose the ones you like best!

krisisdog wrote:
I wouldnt get a kenwood hu, but choose whatever you like. I would go a pioneer over a kenwood, and an alpine or clarion over them both.


Finally something to agree on...... always a good thing.... I don't like Clarion much, but that's up to the user. Specs wise they are pretty much lineball generally.

krisisdog wrote:
rears - wgaf.


Like I said, I do and so should you! :D

 

_________________

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1008

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Ride: ED V8

Location: driving under the sun........now!
WA, Australia

Stock as a Rock wrote:
wow! that has to be the best reply i have ever had on this site! cheers.
i am from perth, and yeh not to savvy on the whole audio unit.
its an ED 1994 falcon.
what would a rough estimate for that setup you suggested? just the head unit, the 2x 6" splits for the front and the 2x 6" for the back, all alpine.
any recommendations as to where to have a look for this stuff?
cheers again


No worries at all mate....... delayed my reply to rant ^ sorry!

Anyway, I would be shopping around a lot. There are a lot of places that stock Alpine gear and their prices can vary a fair bit. Have a look around and you'll find a good deal.

It sort of depends on whether you can install yourself or need an install done for you. Some of the cheaper shops have really good prices sometimes on gear but are shockers for decent installs (I will not name names on an open forum tho). I have seen power and speaker wires in looms twitched together and some not even insulated from a number of el cheapo shops. Avoid places like that if you need an install as well. You should be asking for soldered connections with heat shrink insulation and good wiring etc. If you don't need an install, buy your gear where ever you can get the best prices.

For a really good install, somewhere like Alberts (I like the Morley store) do a top job, but they can cost.

For Alpine prices, have a look here http://www.alpine.com.au/ for RRP on their gear as a starting point.

Don't be totally set on Alpine speakers (HU's def IMO but not necessarily speakers). There are other good brands out there for similar money and they can have really good deals going too.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, but it's all about ringing and asking the shops.

Good luck!

 

_________________

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names