Whiiry 6x9s 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Whiiry 6x9s
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

VIC, Australia

Gday all, got a sub setup installed at autobarn few months ago, and not i have chucked 6x9s and 6"ers on the amp and f**k the sub off. Noticed they ran the power cable and rca on right alongside each other, although i thought you are meant to have them run along seperate sides of the car. Anyway, when im drivin, and turn volume down etc, there is a noise which sounds like it is comin from the 6x9s which is like "whiiiiiir" and rises in volume in proportion to the revs the car is doing and gear changes etc. Would this be from the fag autobarn ppl doing their dodgy rca and power on the same side of the car?
And just to further bag autobarn installs, fags cut through a mates parcel shelf to put 6x9s in without even asking if its alright, or you know, point out after the install "oh, and by the way, good luck gettin roadworthy now" they just did it without even asking or telling him thats what they would do. pffft

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

they cut mine as well doing 6x9s without asking, last thing i ever went there for. they did however run the power and rca cables seperatley, which in your case i would suggest as the problem. not terribly hard to fix yourself either, id leav the power down the drivers side (im guessing this is where it comes thru the firewall) and run the rca down the passengers side

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thats the thing, they went to the trouble of gettin power to the passenger side to run along with the rca, its rediculus. Might just get the reciept and go back and tell em its s**t. They prob expected that i would just have the sub off it and so i would never notice. They also are quite happy to sell s**t to put in your car which is illegal yet not mention it when they sell it to you. My mate bought them blue parkers and they didnt point out it was illegal, now if he sees a cop he tries to get away through side streets and that to avoid them gettin him for it, he cbf taken them out you see

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

up to you mate, but personally i would rather do something myself then take it back to them, even if it is free of charge...

your mate must be incredibly lazy, it takes less then 5 mins to change a set of parkers... id rather do that once than have to hide everytime i saw cops

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

he went for months without any trouble, then a cop past him, chucked the sirens on and chased him down over it, just told him to take them off once he gets home, and sicne then he has dodged cops through sidde streets bout 3 more times from them seeing the parkers and turning around to follow him

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

RCA's are generally sheilded.. so pure DC (low) voltage running near by wont hurt.

I'll guess that they used the chassis for the amp's earth? Remember your spark plugs and coil rely on chassis for earth too.. oh, and your alternator.. wait - almost every thing does :)

I'm running 4ga Positive and negative direct from the battery to both my amps.. and the RCA's run right along side all the big power cables.. not a single hum, whir or click, and i'm pushing somewhere around 1900W RMS

Cheers

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

as with brad, ive got both my amps grounded to the battery with 4ga, rcas are running on the same side, and no noise out of them.

previously it was chassis grounded, and i had alternator wine.

im pusing close to 1000w rms in total.

BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fair enough then, may not be that... 8-) i was just going from personal experience, a mate had interference in his corty, when we ran the rca's down a different side to the power it went away.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

edfairmint wrote:
he went for months without any trouble, then a cop past him, chucked the sirens on and chased him down over it, just told him to take them off once he gets home, and sicne then he has dodged cops through sidde streets bout 3 more times from them seeing the parkers and turning around to follow him

LMAO! He wastes time and fuel dodging coppers to avoid getting a defect instead of spending five minutes pulling the damn things out. He deserved getting taken for a ride.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
RCA's are generally sheilded.. so pure DC (low) voltage running near by wont hurt.

I'll guess that they used the chassis for the amp's earth? Remember your spark plugs and coil rely on chassis for earth too.. oh, and your alternator.. wait - almost every thing does :)

I'm running 4ga Positive and negative direct from the battery to both my amps.. and the RCA's run right along side all the big power cables.. not a single hum, whir or click, and i'm pushing somewhere around 1900W RMS

Cheers

hmm godd one brad maybe i will run the earth from the battery. im getting some serious engine noise through my speakers. im pushing 1200rms and it sounds s**t when its turned down low. ahh well off to the shop to get some new earth cabling
also is it ok to run the earth and power cabels together?

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Don't Autobarn realise that its a no no to cut the parcel shelf for 6x9's? obviously not! So what happens if they cut it, and you go for rego next? would they knock it back being a defective car? Just curious

"Ford" any other machine is just a car!

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

what did the customer expect them to do with the 6x9's just sit them on top of the parcel shelf!! if you and we all know its illegal why buy them and get them installed without the correct mounting. its the same as buying springs that you know will make the car illegally low but you get a mechanic to install them and complain when you get done by the cops....

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

I know that with the kicker amps and some other brands too. The whirring comes from the amp being screwed directly into metal. The fix for this is to use an mdf board and mount your amp to that then the board using different screws to your chassis (or just velcro it in like me :) )

I ground my amp at the chassis and have never had a problem like this. (although i'm running 2x 8 gauge cables in and the same out to the chassis)

Another problem might be that although your amp is earthed well to your chassis...the chassis only has a poofy small little cable (like 16 gauge or so) connecting it to the -ve terminal. I found that with mine too and added a big f**k off 0 gauge cable between chassis and terminal, its only like 30cms long but it does the job.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:52 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

It's interesting that some of you have the earth going straight to the battery. I was always under the impression that you should have the SHORTEST possible earth wire from the amp? :?

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XRated wrote:
It's interesting that some of you have the earth going straight to the battery. I was always under the impression that you should have the SHORTEST possible earth wire from the amp? :?

Yes, but the shortest possible earth cable from the amp to the chassis then means the power has to traverse the crappy metal of your chassis and then as Smackdown said, a poofy 16guage cable from the engine block to the Negative terminal on your battery. Meanwhile the rest of your car is operating on this 16 guage cable too.

If you have 4ga positive cable from the battery, you should have a 4ga negative cable going back to the battery. Similar length, same capcity/guage.

If anyone can tell me why the chassis of the car is a better ground than an exclusive 4ga link back to the battery, i'm all ears :)

Oh.. and FYI.. The voltage drop taken across the terminals of my AMP, mounted in the boot, compared to the voltage taken at the battery terminals is 0.02V as opposed to taking the voltage from the Positive on the amp, and the negative from the car chassis which is around 0.6V :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next