Fordmods Logo

Changing exterior door handles- anyone done it? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Changing exterior door handles- anyone done it?
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

G'day all,

I finally got my handles done in chrome. The finish is OK, doesn't look like it was done in someones backyard but what you can't see is that its 99.9% smooth.
Have to wait a couple of weeks for the clear coat to dry before putting them on.
If anyone has any information, like drawings/instructions or something could they send them via pm. I think it might be a really fiddley job and I can't attempt it unless I have a clear idea of what I am doing. ............
Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
Handles.jpg
Handles.jpg [ 15.77 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

Don't bug me unless you have chocolate or a cure for PMT

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

unscrew your door trims, what model car have you got? an ef? you need to take your lock snib button off. unscrew your handle from the inside.
take off the door trims, and then you need to get in behind the outer handles and unbolt them, there should be two 10mm bolts in each handle by memory. its a bit of a PITA, cos its a tight fit.
have a look first.
good luck

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I wouldn't mind doing something like this one day, but only the bit that you swing up, not the whole assembly.

Anyway, can't wait to see how it looks.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

im about to put my painted EF door handles on my EB today this should look good.

BANNED

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

samftr wrote:
unscrew your door trims, what model car have you got? an ef? you need to take your lock snib button off. unscrew your handle from the inside.
take off the door trims, and then you need to get in behind the outer handles and unbolt them, there should be two 10mm bolts in each handle by memory. its a bit of a PITA, cos its a tight fit.
have a look first.
good luck

Thanks- it is an EF,
I guess I am more worried about the front, having the locks and the acuators on all the doors.
BuNtEr, could you let me know how it all went?

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

where'd u get that done? how much? i reckon might look a bit much with the whole handle chrome but look awesome if u use the handle in chrome and the surround in body color? post some pics when its done.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

i have el handles on the eb, the rears are a pita to do from memory, short 10mm open helps here, but fronts are easy as due to there being more room, either that or thats backwards and the fronts are the pita and rears are easy, i cant exactly remember but you will see what i mean when you get your trim off

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks cooki_monsta,
from whats said it seems the most difficult part is reaching the 2 bolts. Thought there'd be more to it or more that could be stuffed up, (have vision of car with new handles on doors that don't open LOL)

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I put EF door handles on my EB a little while ago. It was defiantly the rear ones that were the annoying ones. The fronts are easy, I just used a 10mm socket for them, but had to try and reach in for the f@rt bolt on the rear doors with a 10mm spanner.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

So what did th chroming cost?

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

newby wrote:
samftr wrote:
have a look first.
good luck

Thanks- it is an EF,
I guess I am more worried about the front, having the locks and the acuators on all the doors.
BuNtEr, could you let me know how it all went?

The fit like a glove easy to do, just the rear doorhandles on the back nut is hard to get on but out side of that they fit without doing any mods to the door or handles

BANNED

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

mjstafford wrote:
I put EF door handles on my EB a little while ago. It was defiantly the rear ones that were the annoying ones. The fronts are easy, I just used a 10mm socket for them, but had to try and reach in for the f@rt bolt on the rear doors with a 10mm spanner.

best for that is use some greese on the socket, thats how you keep the nut from falling out of the socket.

also found if you have a fairmont EB/ED the front handles have a braket that holds the switch that turn on the inside lights, the braket had spacers and they have to be removed you can drill them out, as the spacers will not allow you to put the bold on the shaft as the shaft isnt long enough.

BANNED

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EAII Ghia & AUII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

BuNtEr wrote:
mjstafford wrote:

best for that is use some greese on the socket, thats how you keep the nut from falling out of the socket.

also found if you have a fairmont EB/ED the front handles have a braket that holds the switch that turn on the inside lights, the braket had spacers and they have to be removed you can drill them out, as the spacers will not allow you to put the bold on the shaft as the shaft isnt long enough.
I'd say the EA Ghias would too, because I have the light come on when I pull the handle. I've just got a set of EF handles, and after I paint them up, they will go on the EA. I've also had a look at how they'd go on, and those back ones don't look like they're going to be fun.

1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia
Platinum Silver - 5 speed

EL engine, BBM, SVO wheels, Sprint kit, Scorcher front bar, XR lip, EF handles, mirrors & fuel flap, 2.5" exhaust, pacemaker extractors and high flow cat, serpentine conversion, AU rocker cover, heaps more

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

they are fiddly just if you use a socket when you put them back on use some greese to hold the nut in the socket so it dont keep falling out.

i have to take mine back off on friday so i can put 2 caots of clear on them if i remember i will take some photos and do a small doc on it if that helps.

BANNED

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the trick for doing the rear handles.. is to take the three bolts out, holding the latch mechanisim on, then push the mechanisin in a bit so you can get your socket in and onto the rear 10mm nut..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next