Fordmods Logo

Climate Control - No HOT air 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Climate Control - No HOT air
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys, got a bit of a problem with me el fairmont ghia. Drove to work had the heater on and everything was fine. On the way home it got a bit chilly so i went to put the heater on and it was only blowing cold air. Car was upto temp and everything seems to be working fine. So i did the self diagnostics and it came up with error E2- Which is the blend door; Blend Door out of Range. So i got someone to turn the heater on and off and i can see the blend door opening and closing fine. I can also see the heater tap opening and closing too.
So.. whats the matter with it? anyone got any ideas before i pull the whole dash out?

Ohh and also i can hear like a hissing sound comming from the back of the climate control module when the unit is off. Just wondering if their is vaccume hoses behind there and it they could be the problem.

Thanks

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Check your vacuum hoses...
If its not them it could be the heater tap or the thermostat.

If the thermostat ain't clicking over then your heater hose gets no hot water...(although you're car'd be running hot)

I reckon its the heater tap if the hoses are fine.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

thats the blend door motor, mine is getting fixed on saturday by a friend who's only charging me $150 for labour, i bought the part for $160 trade price.

Retail to fix is around $600-$800 depending on where you go.

There aren't any vacuum lines behind the control module on the dash, its all electical.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:33 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Yup, that's the blend door motor. Replaced mine just yesterday. I got a brand new motor for $212.00 from Coventry's. If you want to replace it yourself, you'd save heaps of $$$. I know someone who got qouted $900 to do the job. If you do decide to do it yourself, here's a helpful link:
http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 4305#74305
Instructions courtesy of Mitch_A (thanks by the way). Just follow the instructions to the letter and you won't go wrong. Good luck mate. :D

Post subject: Re: Climate Control - No HOT air
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
So i got someone to turn the heater on and off and i can see the blend door opening and closing fine. I can also see the heater tap opening and closing too.

Unless you pull the dash out or forward, you couldnt see the blend door motor operating. Its right on top of the heater box, up against the firewall. If you listen closely, you can hear the motor working during the test though.

concorde wrote:
There aren't any vacuum lines behind the control module on the dash, its all electical.

Yes and no. The whole system of doors and vents are vaccum controlled, and there are 9 vaccum lines to the heater box, some of them come close to the CC unit, but they don't touch it. The CC unit does have one vaccum line connecting into it for the cabin temp sensor. It might be the residual vaccum in the engine you can hear leaking through this hose. Or one of the other hoses are leaking.

Smackdown wrote:
I reckon its the heater tap if the hoses are fine.

From memory, if no vaccum is applied to the heater tap it opens. So if the vaccum hose was disconnected, there would always be hot water going into the heater box.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Initiate diagnostics on your CC unit... it will be able to tell u if its having Blend Door issues.

Mine is doing the same thing at the moment, because we forgot to plug the blend door motor back in when we re-assembled the fairmont after the fire :P

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

95fairmont wrote:
Yup, that's the blend door motor. Replaced mine just yesterday. I got a brand new motor for $212.00 from Coventry's. If you want to replace it yourself, you'd save heaps of $$$. I know someone who got qouted $900 to do the job. If you do decide to do it yourself, here's a helpful link:
http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 4305#74305
Instructions courtesy of Mitch_A (thanks by the way). Just follow the instructions to the letter and you won't go wrong. Good luck mate. :D

me thinks that is my only usefull link :P
just make sure when you reassemble you dont knock any vacum pipes...i did and now under load above 3000rpm the climate control goes to the dimister :evil:

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks guys. Not the answer which i really wanted to hear. So whats the flap in the passenger side footwell that i can see opening and closing with the heater?

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

XRLENT6 wrote:
thanks guys. Not the answer which i really wanted to hear. So whats the flap in the passenger side footwell that i can see opening and closing with the heater?

That'd be the fresh/recirc flap.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Post subject: Re: Climate Control - No HOT air
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
From memory, if no vaccum is applied to the heater tap it opens. So if the vaccum hose was disconnected, there would always be hot water going into the heater box.

Spot on, the heater tap is a normally open valve that only requires vacuum to close it.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hmm, think I've got the same problem here. When mum got me out of bed today to move my car, and being a freezing cold morning, I set the climate to 32 degrees and fan on top speed. All I got was a HEAP of cold air and man it almost killed me, lol. Air con is in perfect working order other than this wee problem, glad I live in Queensland and not down south somewhere.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Hmm, think I've got the same problem here. When mum got me out of bed today to move my car, and being a freezing cold morning, I set the climate to 32 degrees and fan on top speed. All I got was a HEAP of cold air and man it almost killed me, lol. Air con is in perfect working order other than this wee problem, glad I live in Queensland and not down south somewhere.

There car still needs time to warm up! The heat is coming from your radiator fluid so if thats not warm then no hot air. Especially if you were only moving your car from the driveway.

Don't think that climate control is diffferent in that way from normal.

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Smackdown wrote:
Till_Lind wrote:

There car still needs time to warm up! The heat is coming from your radiator fluid so if thats not warm then no hot air. Especially if you were only moving your car from the driveway.

Hmmmm :oops: :lol:

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Smackdown wrote:
Till_Lind wrote:

The car still needs time to warm up! The heat is coming from your radiator fluid so if thats not warm then no hot air. Especially if you were only moving your car from the driveway.

Hmmmm :oops: :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]