Fordmods Logo

Doors stopped locking 

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Doors stopped locking
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II XR6

VIC, Australia

Recently my door locks have stopped working. When I use the remote to lock the doors, then all pop down, but come back up straight away. If you use the key to lock the driver's door, it only locks that door.

I'm thinking the motors in the locks are screwed? Took it to an auto-electrician and they quoted $400 for 2 new door lock motors, plus labour costs.

Could you buy second hand locks and do this yourself for much cheaper?

Post subject: Re: Doors stopped locking
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

You can buy the door lock solenoids for as little as $5 from the wreckers. If you can power them individually, you'll find out which ones are dud. They're held in with large rivets, which need to be drilled out. Then, just use screws and nyloc nuts to reinstall them.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

being someone of central locking replacement experience

you can replace the motors
it will break again

do this below

documents.php?d=74

i also replaced all my door lock latches with NOS (new old stock) ones it takes some hunting but they exist and my central locking and door work perfectly

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
being someone of central locking replacement experience

you can replace the motors
it will break again

do this below

documents.php?d=74

i also replaced all my door lock latches with NOS (new old stock) ones it takes some hunting but they exist and my central locking and door work perfectly

How much would a Jaycar locking kit set me back?

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

DARK_EF wrote:

thats it mate

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Great, thanks man.
Stupid question, but do they come with different motors? If the original ford ones are screwed, are they being replaced with the new locking system?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:22 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Also, "Some bolts to attach the brackets to the doors (you will need 8 of them)"
Do you know what size bolts you used to attach the brackets?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

DARK_EF wrote:
Also, "Some bolts to attach the brackets to the doors (you will need 8 of them)"
Do you know what size bolts you used to attach the brackets?

the kit comes with screws but they break under the pressure (mine did)

i replaced em with just some small random bolts and nuts i found in the shed

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah that's what I figured. Did you use the Steelmate wiring kit?
If so, how did you get the wiring from the BEM into the front door? Is there a trick to this?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

And how do you detach the BEM so you can get to it?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

DARK_EF wrote:
Yeah that's what I figured. Did you use the Steelmate wiring kit?
If so, how did you get the wiring from the BEM into the front door? Is there a trick to this?

ya i used the steelmate wiring kit

to get into the front door i ran the wires down the top of the BEM and then around the bottom of the dash then i took off the kick panel and used a torch and some thin steel wire and rapped it around the steelmate wires and took the waterproof wire holder that all the wires go through into the door off (unplugged both sides then removed the tap around the ends of it) feed the wire up the panels and then through the wire holder then into the door then you can remove the steel wire and connect it up same thing for the other doors

except the backdoors the wires go through a hole right near the bottom seatbelt bolt and its rather tricky as (in the NF anyway) it has to go through a few panels and the holes dont line up once your through that then basically its the same as the front doors

it took me a day to work all this out and wire it all in this including pulling apart my interior and putting it back together and removal of old central locking motors and placement of new ones

just some word of advice once youve got the new central locking motors in and you have tested they are in a good place get a pair of needle noise pliers and squeeze the ends of the rods that connect the central locking motors to the door latch closed as the super fast action of the new central locking motors can sometimes get them loose and then that central locking wont work in that door anymore than youll have to pull the door trim off again

Last edited by Fordsrule174 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Great, thanks man. I'm going to spend tomorrow just getting all the wires into the doors and making sure they work.

How did you detach the BEM so you could work with it?

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

DARK_EF wrote:
Great, thanks man. I'm going to spend tomorrow just getting all the wires into the doors and making sure they work.

How did you detach the BEM so you could work with it?

the EF has the central locking wires at the top of the BEM when you remove the dash fasica (the plastic thing around your dash cluster and your radio and holds the clock/trip computer etc no need to remove it mate

if it was a EL would have to remove it the EL one has a hard pressured clp at the bottom of it that you just put a flat head under and push and it comes off

the EF one has 2 screws at the top that can been when the dash fasica is removed and should come out with a little push once removed

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Okay I'm with you now. I have another issue I'm stuck with though. I'm getting lost with what I do with the BEM and the new plug that comes with the locking system.

Do I cut the Red with Yellow Stripe & Yellow with Black Stripe (on the BEM) and attach the Brown & White (from the new Clip) respectively?
If so, why is there only two (Yellow Stripe & Yellow with Black Stripe) but 4 Brown & White? (2 of each.)

Sorry to bug you about it, but auto electrics isn't my strong point.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next