EF/EL Ghia Interior into a XR6 

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: EF/EL Ghia Interior into a XR6
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Im looking at getting a Ghia interior for my XR as i think it will be a kickass investment :P

And im just wondering whats involved with changing from a EF XR interior to a EF/EL Ghia interior?

Im sure there are people out there who have done it, so whats involved? Is it a straight swap over or is there some minor/large modifications that need to be done.And is it an easy thing to do?

When i say Ghia interior i just mean the Door trims, rear and front seats.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

you need a T50 or something like that torx screw to undo the front seats, and you will have an issue the the rears having no electrics for the windows... i.e. you will have to either drill holes for the manual winders (and leave a hole from the electrics) or bite the bullet and fit electric winders in the back... your fronts will be fine as you have electrics there already. back seat is easy as to remove, so are the side bolsters. thats about it! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool cheers dude, yeah i wasnt sure about the rear door trims depending on what the colour of the trims are then i might just put the woodgrain on it and leave it at that.

I pretty much just want the seats but if the door trims are going to be too much of a hassle then i will just leave them out. :wink:

What about colours, what colours did the EF/EL Ghia interiors come in?

Thanks for the reply :P

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

hmm not sure if ef ghias came out in lunar mist i not entirly sure have a felling they didnt in leather, think EL may have came out in mako and capuccino (brown and ugly tho). but as for bolting in should be easy ay

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah im just after the grey leather interior, otherwise the dash and everything else wont match nicely. :wink:

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:43 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

i just grabbed the door fabric and woodgrain from the other trims i had, and put them onto my existing ones, so it all ties in nicely...

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah that might be an idea, i might just do that :P would be a little bit easier me thinks.

Is all that fabric etc and woodgrain easy to put on? What did you use to keep it on there or does it already have some sort of way to stay on the door trims?

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:32 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Yeah that might be an idea, i might just do that :P would be a little bit easier me thinks.

Is all that fabric etc and woodgrain easy to put on? What did you use to keep it on there or does it already have some sort of way to stay on the door trims?

fabric is easy as - once you pull the trims off, you'll see how easy the swap-over is. as for the woodgrain, its just plastic s**t - its got plastic rivets holding it on - i just used the soldering iron to cut them off! :P lol it was going to be far too much effort to try & get them off otherwise. i then matched the holes up on my existing trims, and drilled holes for the remainder of the plugs to go into. the ones in the back are kinda not quite on - i need to glue them in place properly when i get around to it. but the fit perfect! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

any ideas of what this sort of thing would cost?
door trims, seats etc?
also, grey isn't the common colour either is it?

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Its a straight forward job, take you a couple of hours to do everything.

But I think your making a big mistake. The Ghia seats are no where as grippy as the XR6 seats, particularly in leather you tend to slip around on them a bit.

You need something more commensurate of an XR6 to keep inline with the handling and performance.

My plan is to (at some stage when I am a bit richer) get hold of an XR front seats and retrim them in the same style as Ghia seats with the leather, etc, so they fit in style wise. The rear seats are the same, but the fronts XR seats are alot more fun and comfortable, especially when you are throwing the car around.

I really cant understand what everyones love affair eith EL leather is. Leather and seat wise, I think they are the worst s**t Ford has ever bought out. The leather is usually pretty hard, slippery and shiny. Tends to crack and fade easily if not looked after. If the leather was more like that of the AU, BA or even similar to what Holden uses in the SS or something I could see the point of the exercise. I managed to get a Ghia with half leather/half velour which I think is a good compromise. More comfortable and grippy than my parents NL fairlane seats ever will be.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

i wouldnt say the BA leathers seats are that good, v hard and v slippery look good thats about it IMHO. it was a brand new car that my pares test drove they may take a while to loosen up abit

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

True, they may take some time loosen up. Hopefully not like the EF/EL seats. Ive sat in some leather BA's and they were quite comfortable.

Whereas the EF/EL, the leather is stitched tight, and it doesnt get loose but stretches, so the seat ends up looking all wavey and s**t.

I think the best example for comfort is the DL seats, how the bases and backs are smaller stitched panels, so it is more comfortable as you can sink into it. And it doesnt stretch like the normal Ghia seats do. I dont like the way they look too much, but after trying them, I would put them into my car as then I get the full leather, with the same comfort and support as my velour/leather seats...

If only they made the DL seats in grey, huh.. Not just crapachino. :(

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

hmm i think you just need to try and get some EL GT seats : )

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Maybe... They are fugly lookin in my opinion, but if I could retrim them in EL Ghia looks, then I would... :roll:

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah cool cheers for the ideas guys, but i dont really throw my car around as such. :wink:

Im a big fan of the giha interiors as my mate has a EF Ghia and it is comfy as hell! Bad colour thou, has that fricken brown colour *yuk*!

But yeah the reason behind the Ghia seats for me is so i will have a comforable cruiser as well as the sporty looks and handling of the XR.

Best of both worlds imo :wink:

If the BA XR seats were to fit then i would get those insted, but im pretty sure there is more hassle involved with fitting those in a EF.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next