Footwell Lighting Mod 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Footwell Lighting Mod
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Okay, here's one for the smarties.

I have an EL Fairmont, it comes standard with all the courtesy footwell lighting.

What i want to do is, when the headlamps are on, i want JUST the front and rear footwell lamps to come on dimly to add a bit of atmosphere to the interior at night. However i don't want the overhead dome and reading lamps to come on with the footwell lamps at the same time. Get what i mean? Haha.

SO, during the day, with headlamps off, the footell lighting is off but comes on when i open doors etc, just like normal.

BUT, at night time, when the headlamps are on and the doors are closed JUST the footwell lamps are activated NOT the overhead lamps, but when i open the doors all lights come on like normal.

Reckon it's possible? Any ideas would be appreciated :wink:

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

tell bpt to do it :P
haha but seriously - probably easier to put new bulbs in and just have a relay taped off the parkers...

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
tell bpt to do it :P
haha but seriously - probably easier to put new bulbs in and just have a relay taped off the parkers...

ROFL @ BPT comment.

That's an idea, maybe run separate power wires to the three lamps, a couple of one way diodes and a relay? Could we get something to work using these things?

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I think theyll become very annoying very quickly...

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

yer i think it wud get reall annoying too, but it would also be quite a fair biit of work!

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

matt your best bet would be to run some seperate LED's i think, i have just the ones laying around if u wanna have a look to dummy them up, run them with a seperate toggle switch and if you do get bored of them as everyone says u can jsut turn them on and off when you feel like it ;)

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

one way around it is to run a wire to the parkers so when you turn on your headlights only the ones you want will come on use a realy and to dim it use the right value resister and you will get the affect your after.

BANNED

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

Even simpler would be a diode run from the parkers to the interior lamp line, run a resistor to get the right brightness.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

knowsfords wrote:
Even simpler would be a diode run from the parkers to the interior lamp line, run a resistor to get the right brightness.

thing is you will need the relay as he just wants the footwell lights to come on not all of the lights inside the car

BANNED

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

BuNtEr wrote:
knowsfords wrote:

thing is you will need the relay as he just wants the footwell lights to come on not all of the lights inside the car

Yep, you'd have to seperate the footwell lights and the dome light however I'm not sure how you would go about it using a relay.

Maybe by doing it like this;
Code:

........ Dome light
                                           /
                                          /
Door switch power-----------------Relay---------------Door switch power continues ------Diode----Resistor----Footwell lights

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

use the parkers as the trigger to switch from norm state all lights come on when doors open to just the Footwell lights come one when parkers come on.

BANNED

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairmont wagon

TAS, Australia

As they all run on a common switched earth, I don't see how a relay and diodes are going to achieve the desired result.
I think Busso is right on the money with the LEDs on a seperate circuit or the same seperate circuit using incandescent bulbs and a variable resistor for selective dimming, hell of alot simpler to figure out

The dodgy option is to pull the globes out of the overhead lights and flick the dash switch for the interior lights while you're driving. Just put the globes back in before ya open the door and all should work how you want it too.

Cheers
Mick

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Whoops! I completely forgot about this thread!

eMpTy wrote:
The dodgy option is to pull the globes out of the overhead lights and flick the dash switch for the interior lights while you're driving. Just put the globes back in before ya open the door and all should work how you want it too.

ROFL! Love the idea, but that's the effect i'm after haha.

Some good suggestions there, will have to toy with some of the ideas when i get the car back. I was just inspired by a mates VW Toureg which does exactly what i'm trying to do to the Fairmont.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Main obstacle is the routing of the dimming line and the position of the BEM and dome light s/w - the line at the BEM needs to cut, and run over to the RH kickpanel area and respliced into the line, same with the domelight switch line.
Diodes won't work - all that's needed is a SPDT relay to switch the dimming line.
Get or borrow a ford manual and view the diagrams and loom routing to understand what I'm saying here.

BTW, don't mix up the dimming line with the courtesy switches line - they're both black/blue coloured.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]