Fordmods Logo

heater core. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: heater core.
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

any one changed their heater core before in an el xr6 and ran a thread on it? i need to do mine asap.car is lossing water and going into heater.today went to the burnout comp car started to heat up and instead of the steam coming from under the bonnet it came out from the front dimisters (knob was set to dimisters) as i drive along wind screan starts to fog up and s**t its doing my head in hard.just need a link of some pictures of someone doing it.also leaks water on passanger side carpet.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Post subject: Re: heater core.
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

does no one know how to remove the dash to reach the heater core?i need to know asap!!!!

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:07 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep,
this is a rough run down...
the whole dash has to come out starting with the console. there is aprox 7 screws along the top under the plastic cover, there is 2 10mm bolts at either end of the dash just above where the kick panels are, there is 2 10mm bolts in the centre of the lower dash where the front of the console is,
you will need to drop the steering column, unplug the heater controls ,dash loom from the rest of the car and remove the dash..
the heater box has to be removed from the car to open it to get to the heater core,
so the heater hoses and a/c hoses need to be disconected, there is aprox 6 nuts holding the heater box to the firewall, these are a pain in the a** to get to as they are on the engine bay side behind the engine and bbm..

good luck....

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

shoulda done it while the motor was out then huh....i've started, see how it goes.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Didn't see this thread :lol:

Yes I've done it . Was hard by myself :( took a weekend ,
I've never taken a heater core out of the heater box . But that shouldn't be too hard.

Heater hoses are hard to get at. Especially taking them off with those spring clamps . I replaced them with hose clamps .
There a 6 or more nuts for the heater box on the fire wall in the engine bay . Use a deep 11mm socket with a uni joint and extension . Once their cracked u can undo by hand .
Then to remove the air con lines it's 2 hex cap head screws. It looks like a metal block thing lol

Hardest parts are heater hoses, getting dash out and the nuts for the heater box.

Also wouldn't it only leak when the heater is on ??
Cos when it's on cold the heater tap would be closed stopping coolant flow,
Unless there is coolant in there but not flowing ???

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 pm 

NSW, Australia

the heater core is still pressurised even with the tap closed, it just doesnt circulate coolant through the core..

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I thought it was something like that .
What is the heater core made from?

I'm guessing something that rusts .
Can it be replaced with a aluminum core ??

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:17 pm 

NSW, Australia

its made of copper like a radiator..
alloy would corrode faster...

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Really I didn't know they were made from copper .
That's interesting that alloy would corrode faster .

I'm dreading the day I have to pull the heater box out again. I should of replaced the heater core when it was out. Fingers crossed it lasts a few years.

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

would earthing it out prevent corrosion? on trucks they do that for the radiators to slow corrosion down. from memory i dont think my car has this set up for the radiator.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 pm 

NSW, Australia

out of the 2 heater cores ive seen that have failed, they have started leaking from the soldered spot where the heater hose pipe meets the core, and probably started leaking from the pipe being pulled or bent when a dodgy a** has pulled on the heater hose instead of cutting the hose off when replacing it..

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 pm 

NSW, Australia

alexxx wrote:
would earthing it out prevent corrosion? on trucks they do that for the radiators to slow corrosion down. from memory i dont think my car has this set up for the radiator.

not really, but being carefull when replacing heater hoses, using good quality coolant and regular 2 year coolant flushes are the best things to do to keep them trouble free..

the worst thing is from people who get slack and run straight water through there cooling system....

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i dont know man.simptoms are when im casually driving the window fog up and front wind screen usually has alot of moisture on it.usual driving after about 2 dats need to poor about 2 liters in and my passanger side carpet is really wet.and when i was doing a burnout yesterday at the comp car started to get hot an all the steam was coming from the front dimister. so im pretty surre its that.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
alexxx wrote:

not really, but being carefull when replacing heater hoses, using good quality coolant and regular 2 year coolant flushes are the best things to do to keep them trouble free..

the worst thing is from people who get slack and run straight water through there cooling system....

ok thanks just thought trucks might be useful for learnign something thats all. just goes to show nothing beats good maintenance

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Troyman do u mean it's bad to pull the heater hoses off? That's how I got mine off, had to give them a good pull to get them off . Opps :lol:
Isn't leaking so must be ok.

I flush and change my coolant evey 6 months so that minimizes it leaking

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next