Fordmods Logo

NF Fairlane Ghia Air Bag Code 33 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: NF Fairlane Ghia Air Bag Code 33
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

I Just Recently Purchased A NF Fairlane Ghia And It Displays Error Code 33 For the Air Bag
I Have Looked Around At The Forum Trying To Find A Answer But I Am New To This And Have No Idea Were The Resistor Is Located Or What It Even Looks Like As Im Only 18 And The NF Is My Second Car But It Wont Pass Rego With The Air Bag Light And Its Due For Renewal In A Week I Much Rather To Fix Things In My Cars My Self Rather Than Paying Someone A Few Hundred To Do It For Me Especially Since Me And Dad Know Most Of The Mechanics Around Town And They Wont Do It Properly Weave Watched Them Work On Other Peoples Cars If Someone Could Tell Me Were This Resistor Is Located And What It Looks Like It Would Be Heavily Appreciated As Mum Doesnt Know About The Air Bag Issue And I Would Rather She Doesnt Find Out As She Will Make Me Take It To A Auto Electrician I Currently Cant Afford That Especially With Rego Being Due Soon Time Isnt Much A Trouble For Me As I Work From Home For A Living And I Work On The Cars In My Spare Time

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia Air Bag Code 33
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1997 EL Fairmont,2008 FG G6E

VIC, Australia

What Year is your NF Fairlane ? Do you have a passenger airbag ?

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Resistor high resistance or open circuit -

As I read it it is the resistance on somewhere in the circuit. Make sure all plugs are plugged in first. Then I would try measuring resistance on the circuit. Are all grounds connected?

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

no i dont have a passengers air bag
its a 1995

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, that makes sense. The EF/EL falcons with no passenger airbag had a resistor put in its place instead. Check that out! If that is good, then it's the resistance on the driver airbag.

Last edited by One Drone on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

were exactly would that be ?

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have a look here, snap is a useful man. :)

http://www.fordmods.com/post1122295.html

I've never seen the actual resistor. I'd imagine it would be near where the passenger airbag would be. Pull the glove box out to see if you can see it.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

He is a bit . . . .
Start here: ford-interior-f14/ef-el-airbag-system-ready-reference-t57569.html
Blanking resistor location - substitute NF for EF. You'll need to drop the big white connectors up near the brake pedal top - 2 x 12mm bolts.
The Airbag module is a light blue box - check the wiring near the box, the resistor is a plug in thing in a connector. Pull it out and put it back in - connections might be a bit crappy.
I get this on the odd occasion in my XH ute - code 33 pops up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thank you all kindly for your answers i will check it first thing tomorrow and will post progress...fingers crossed it works

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Fairmont,2008 FG G6E

VIC, Australia

Mate i have uploaded some pictures from the Ford workshop manual that should help you with your problem.

http://a.imageshack.us/img256/1500/003gl.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/6295/002dns.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img185/7320/001xyg.jpg

Good luck with your car mate

Rick

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I Did find the resistor its a 2 ohm i couldnt get it out must be some sorta secret code or something but i did move it a tiny lil and then gave up and tried and the air bag error code was gone to my amazement i tried the key like 5 times and even sat there and listened to a few songs in the car and tried again still no code for the air bag :-) so put it back together and tried again still no code tried 2 more times still no code unbelievable :-)

thank you all for your help its greatly appreciated

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Glad to hear it fixed itself.... Now you (and I!) know where it is.

snap: no wonder why you know so much, this problem happens to you "on occasion"!?! s**t must just happen to your cars to force you to fix/learn something..

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
I Did find the resistor its a 2 ohm i couldnt get it out must be some sorta secret code or something but i did move it a tiny lil and then gave up and tried and the air bag error code was gone to my amazement i tried the key like 5 times and even sat there and listened to a few songs in the car and tried again still no code for the air bag :-) so put it back together and tried again still no code tried 2 more times still no code unbelievable :-)
Next time it happens, and it probably will, clean the contacts of the resistor. IIRC the resistor has a couple of inches to a connector, so take it out and remove the resistor to do this.
One Drone wrote:
snap: no wonder why you know so much, this problem happens to you "on occasion"!?! s**t must just happen to your cars to force you to fix/learn something..
Nah not really Dude - I'm prone to f*cking with stuff - pulling apart, etc.
I found my resistor when I had the dash out for the Climate Control conversion. The XH resistor is different to the EF/EL ones.
Also I'm looking into doing an XH PAB mod - that's the other thing, I'm nuts enough to try these types of mods.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

i know it probably will do it again but atm i have other things to deal with i just wanted the air bag light not to come on for the cars pink slip next week

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]