Fordmods Logo

is lpg as good as it sounds? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I have a AU LPG Turbo, BA XR6T injected LPG, an EF LPG, and XF pano LPG. I like LPG.
I actually dont want everyone to have it though, because the cost might go up.

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

last weekend i had the privlidge of driving a brand new EGAS BF MKii from work for the weekend (did i mention i work at a dealer) had under 1000km on the clock (actually more like 200 when i took it and 800 when i gave it back) and i did the 600 odd km on about $35 (gas here is around 52c/L)

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au 2

VIC, Australia

i have an au series two with a goo 2half inch exaust a good set of leads and an k&n airfilter it hammers heaps of cars and is really reliable

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Got my first LPG vehicle 18 months ago ... have since done 100,000km with it.

Has been a great vehicle ... and definitely saved me thousands.

I can't believe when you said couriers decide not to use it ... i am a courier ... I'd never use a petrol vehicle for that job ... I'd be broke.

My next work ute will be on LPG for sure ... but for now ... the old AUII is still going strong ... and is cheap to run for the amount of kays I do.

Sure the petrol models are a bit more powerful ... but not that much ... a few mods will bring the power up on them. So far extractors, exhaust and intake has made a nice difference ... next will be cam ... supercharger would be nice ... but I doubt I'll do it. It is a work ute after all.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

IF the lpg install is done properly, little power is lost, and economy is close as well.

The newest gas systems are better than the older systems, especially those 20yo systems in rusting hulks that have poor performance. The best option for performance & economy is LPG Injection, but it's still rather costly compared to a more traditional " slap a mixer ontop the throttle body/carby " type conversion.

I have LPGI on my EB, done about 100,000 kms with it now, and i can't fault the hardware. In the EB alone, i've saved way in excess of $12,000 in fuel costs running on lpg, then there is my other car's on lpg as well. That's money i've put towards my house.

I'm Pro LPG.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Just returned from a trip to Bundy - 100% highway. I got 503km with my 65 litre tank before I got a dead pedal - my personal best! Last record was 460 highway/city. Very happy indeed!

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
IF the lpg install is done properly, little power is lost, and economy is close as well.

The newest gas systems are better than the older systems, especially those 20yo systems in rusting hulks that have poor performance. The best option for performance & economy is LPG Injection, but it's still rather costly compared to a more traditional " slap a mixer ontop the throttle body/carby " type conversion.

I have LPGI on my EB, done about 100,000 kms with it now, and i can't fault the hardware. In the EB alone, i've saved way in excess of $12,000 in fuel costs running on lpg, then there is my other car's on lpg as well. That's money i've put towards my house.

I'm Pro LPG.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

It's not about the man doing the install, it's about the right equipment to suit your application.
The systems of today aren't much different to 20+ years ago (Except for injected LPG).
The cars of today are much more fuel efficient, an XF with LPG will still get the same economy today as what it did 20 years ago.
My AU 5.0 got 515 with half city and half highway, my XD with 302 C used to get 350 max highway.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
It's not about the man doing the install, it's about the right equipment to suit your application.
The systems of today aren't much different to 20+ years ago (Except for injected LPG).
The cars of today are much more fuel efficient, an XF with LPG will still get the same economy today as what it did 20 years ago.
My AU 5.0 got 515 with half city and half highway, my XD with 302 C used to get 350 max highway.

I beg to differ about the man doing the install. Yes the right equiptment to suit the application needs to be used, when oftern it's what is cheap or easily availible that is used. BUT workmanship is a problem. The right system won't run good if it's poorly installed & maintained.

Such as when i had my LPGI installed, NONE of the inlet manifold bolts were done up tight, 2 vacume hoses damaged, and a poorly fitted water feed for the converter meant it was leaking.

I fixed up the water leak easily enough. When vehicle was taken in for it's 1500km recheck & retune, their answer to why it's running rough was replace plugs, leads, complete dizzy & then it will be fine. Did all that, not a lick of differance! It was then blamed on the engine burning oil, and with over 200k kms on the clock i thought it was possible & put up with it. When i blew a headgaskit and had to dismantle the top end to fix said issue, i found the issue with the inlet manifold and vacume hoses. Fixed them & head gaskit issue, engine was running great. As it should have been.

Yes the car's of Today are more efficient with fuel, but some older car's when in peak condition & tune can return decent figures as well, and with the price advantage of LPG, still be reasonable to run. A lot of the fuel economy improvements over the last 20yrs come from better transmissions, eg more gears & lockup converters, and better drag co-efficient design of vehicles.

Modern mixers have changed & are better than older designs, especially the AMOS ring type. Converters have not changed much tho.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

:D I've been running gas cars for years, starting with a Datsun 200B with factory fitted gas (FORD was not the first as claimed), then XD, XF, EA and recently converted EF Ghia. Gas has never caused a major problem, is less than half the price of petrol with no really noticible loss of power. The weight of a full gas tank adds about 60 kilogram to the cars dead weight, otherwise should be no noticible effect on performance.

The modern gas control units are really sophisticated and far better than early models.

With the grant, the installation paid for itself in less than 5 weeks! Now I'm ahead. Only drawbacks (minor) are loss of space behind the seats and the need to re-mount my subwoofer above the parcel shelf due to lack of space.

Go for gas, but complain about the future introduction of tarrifs that will increase the price in years to come.

It gets me there

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yes the price will go up, but atleast it's not as expensive as petrol. As you stated with the grant around, it makes sense when atleast half the cost is getting paid for you, if not more. I just wish it was around when i converted my ford, i wouldn't have been $3146 outta pocked. Took me a total of roughly 8mths to break even.

Slighty OT tho....

As for the factory gas datsun, i had a mate who i used to work with, who had a 200b with Factory gas. I didn't believe him when i was told, so he shown me under the hood & the factory gas suppliment manual for the system. Amazing.

Didn't Ford have a factory gas XB?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Is it worth getting one of those tanks that sit in your spare wheel well to save space?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Only on a wagon as it has a square hole.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

i wouldent bother i can get from tweed to newcastle and still havE over a quater of a tank 7.2L to 100ks how many times would u have to stop to get gas on a trip i should get 900 to 1000 ks out of the tank around town its 9 to 10L/ 100KS

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

:D No problem, I can get 450 to 500k from a tank of gas and still have a full tank of petrol ready to roll.

It;s a good idea to alternate fuels regularly to keep the valves etc a bit wet and lubed.

My son dove Gippsland to Gold Coast non stop in his ED using both fuels.

Being a a*** I'd stop every 400k and fill up with gas cos its less than half the price, that difference will widen as price of fuel rises in coming months.

The Gas is produced in Australia but oil companies do hike the price to follow international petrol price...they don't need to but are just a tad greedy...and we all knew that!

It's not the range that counts its the savings in your wallet.

It gets me there

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

:evil: Its worth noting that Australia exports LPG to China for 3 cents per litre! Presumably someone makes a profit on that and also pays for the ships.

We pay thru the nose against what is called "Export parity"

Ausie motorists are being ripped off and you can bet someone in the government is pocketing a share.

It gets me there

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next