Fordmods Logo

is lpg as good as it sounds? 

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: is lpg as good as it sounds?
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

as the title says is it much better economy than petrol?

i have heard from other people that they dont use their lpg as there isnt much difference and just use petrol (courier drivers)

and ive heard from others (person who sold me car, who is an auto electrician) begging me not to install it in my car as its very unreliable and always breaking down ( he services fleets of 20 or so ba falcons company falcons with factory lpg and hardly any of them work.. )

any input cheers guys

im sick of paying for petrol :(

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Well, i've been running LPG since 1990 on multiple cars, i swear by it.
If it wasn't for LPG i probably would have sold my Fairlane... I won't run a big car without it.

Have a read through this section, you're going to read the same thing.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've always hated gas and have steered right away from it - but the rebate really swung me! Now that mine is actually converted, and I know something about it all, I am absolutely rapt with it - runs really well, hardly any peformance decrease, and huge savings!

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA Falcon

SA, Australia

yeah a friend of mine has a VR and he loves it on gas.

i would get my ED converted in a flash if it wasn't for the huge wait you have to put up with these days....like 10 months or something before you can get a conversion done because of all the people that wanna get gas.

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Soon to come... Pacemaker Extractors, supercharger.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PhantomLord wrote:
yeah a friend of mine has a VR and he loves it on gas.

i would get my ED converted in a flash if it wasn't for the huge wait you have to put up with these days....like 10 months or something before you can get a conversion done because of all the people that wanna get gas.

I wouldn't go that far, the hard part has been getting hold of new tanks, they can't make enough to keep with the demand, it's settled down a bit now though.
If you want it that bad, go buy an out of date tank and get it tested, cheaper than a new one, and it'll get you done a lot quicker.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

only dont hav enuff tanks cos no1 in oz is mking em so we hav to compete with the rest of the world market, or so ive heard

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

A good reason for an electrician/mechanic to recommend against gas might be because they are not qualified to legally fix it, and would loose your business if you had to go somewhere else to get it tuned or repaired.

Take my dads car for another example - XF falcon. The petrol side works horrible, but his gas setup is so simple, it doesn't matter if any of the carby works or not!

My EB developed several EFI problems over the 7 years I had it, but because gas couldn't give a crap about those components in order to function, it ran fine.

People love their own opinions, but look at the situation for yourself. Learn as much about gas as you can, the setup you would require for your car, and work out the pro's and cons for yourself. I've found gas to be absolutely brilliant, as long as I look after my fuel side regularly, theres nothing wrong with it exept the extra bulge in my wallet :D

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XF Ute

NSW, Australia

My XF is duel fuel. I ususally use petrol because of the major power loss when I use gas. Its still good though, I'd recommend a conversion.

RIP My old XF - 1991-2007. Victim of 2007 floods.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

I find that there isn't really as much difference between petrol and gas as everyone makes out... I generally get about the same mileage on both but pay only 40% of the purchase price.

For the record, I had my 5L dynoed back to back on gas and petrol and it was around 5 rwKw down with LPG. (About 3%) Over the quarter mile it cost me .3 or .4 of a second. (about 2.5%). These figures are fairly standard for dual fuel cars I think...

So that't the pure facts. 60% cheaper, around 3% less power. Make up your own mind.

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Don't you lose the 60/40 split seat usage though? I have noticed too when catching taxis that luggage cappacity is reduced as well.

So I guess, if you don't support a family that needs all the practicality of that boot, then there is no reason to say no to gas.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

ef302 wrote:
I find that there isn't really as much difference between petrol and gas as everyone makes out... I generally get about the same mileage on both but pay only 40% of the purchase price.

For the record, I had my 5L dynoed back to back on gas and petrol and it was around 5 rwKw down with LPG. (About 3%) Over the quarter mile it cost me .3 or .4 of a second. (about 2.5%). These figures are fairly standard for dual fuel cars I think...

So that't the pure facts. 60% cheaper, around 3% less power. Make up your own mind.

When you Dyno'd it on petrol did you do it with or without the mixer?

AS you say only 5% difference, my EA was the same, then we dyno'd it without the gas mixer and the difference was huge.

With the trouble I had on the EA I would never buy another Dual Fuel car. However I love my Egas BA.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
ef302 wrote:

When you Dyno'd it on petrol did you do it with or without the mixer?

AS you say only 5% difference, my EA was the same, then we dyno'd it without the gas mixer and the difference was huge.

With the trouble I had on the EA I would never buy another Dual Fuel car. However I love my Egas BA.

Yep, i noticed an instant drop in acceleration just by fitting the mixer alone, it's a big restriction.
I'm still working out a way to make my own that will work right but also not restrict air flow.
One thing i have noticed after owning so many lpg cars, and working on so many, the EFI cars work well, they run better and don't have a huge drop in power.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Have you thought of doing something like the intake runners, whereby having 2 intake paths - one that goes through the mixer, and the other bypasses it completely when on petrol?

An old throttle body mounted in the right spot would do the job nicely I reckon, with a heater tap actuator to do all the work.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

I haven't regretted my conversion for a second. As the guys before me have said, the power loss is barely noticeable, especially when you are saving so much on fuel. If I feel like it I can always press a button and be back on petrol in a second, but I've only felt the need once or twice.

My only whine about it relates to the loss of boot space and my sub - which is being re-installed soon (you've just got to be creative).

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Running straight gas is heaps better than dual fuel, and using a decent LPG system is another thing, I think most of the factory gas cars use crap parts and so do the installers these days, with the business they get they can sell the basic kits for good money.

I've always had gas on all my big cars, would never even consider petrol, power loss on LPG is because someone compromised somewhere, if you build it properly it should only loose minimal power.

Forced induction is where gas comes alive, little slower spool compared to petrol but if setup properly can make more power under boost, the whole 6cyl turbo LPG is proven, and cheap to build.

http://www.TURBO351.com

2V 351T, 732rwhp@15psi on LPG.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next