Fordmods Logo

LPG V Petrol 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LPG V Petrol
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ok this might be a silly question.
But i have never owned a car on LPG before (i do now).
I have a EF i6cly at the moment i am getting it ready for a road worthy.
I have been doing a bit of reading and it seems that LPG can be a pain.
My car has had LPG on it since it was made (nonfactory).
I am thinking of just running it on petrol. Would that be a mistake ?
And i am guessing you would need a LPG guy to pull all the stuff out of the car ?
and living in the country there's not really that much difference with the prices between LPG and petrol any advice you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: LPG V Petrol
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

If you search through the site hard enough, there was a tech article on this very subject.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 am 
Smokin em up

kwaussiekid wrote:
If you search through the site hard enough, there was a tech article on this very subject.

Well i spent 3 hours looking on the site before i posted it.
I guess i missed it. Back to looking i guess

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Poorly installed poor quality systems will be a pain.

Quality parts that have been fitted properly won't be a pain.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm 
Smokin em up

tickford_6 wrote:
Poorly installed poor quality systems will be a pain.

Quality parts that have been fitted properly won't be a pain.

Yeah by the looks of it i was installed ok when it was first put in.
The car runs better on petrol then LPG. I am just in two minds about it just now. I am on a pension so i am just trying to make the car less of a prob after i get it on the road, If you know what i mean
thanks for the advice mate.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF, EL falcon, au futra

VIC, Australia

hey when i got my car witch is that same as yours and if the gas bottle is older then 10 years old it has to be cheaked by a gas the guy to get another 10 years put on it

EL Falcon, sitting on sl king springs & 18" silver agents, pacemaker extractors with 2.5'' sports exhurst, nf fairlane interior, 5 speed manual with a 3.45 lsd and lots more rkw:
EF Falcon stock standard
ford au furtura the daily

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ford mystar wrote:
hey when i got my car witch is that same as yours and if the gas bottle is older then 10 years old it has to be cheaked by a gas the guy to get another 10 years put on it

Yeah that's another thing I am worried about

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF, EL falcon, au futra

VIC, Australia

Lucion wrote:
Ford mystar wrote:

Yeah that's another thing I am worried about

yeah it can cost a fair bit, i pulled out mine and took it to the gas man and it was way cheaper that way

EL Falcon, sitting on sl king springs & 18" silver agents, pacemaker extractors with 2.5'' sports exhurst, nf fairlane interior, 5 speed manual with a 3.45 lsd and lots more rkw:
EF Falcon stock standard
ford au furtura the daily

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

By, runs better on petrol, what do you mean?

LPG systems that use a mixer/ring style feed, will always perform better on petrol from mid to high rpm, due to the restriction the mixer/ring creates in the air intake.

However, a good tuned LPG setup will provide better low rpm torque, and is a lot cheaper to run on LPG as a daily driver.

My EB now has a vapour injected LPG system, which now gives better economy and makes the same outright power as it does on petrol, so there are other options out there.

I think you are being a little short sighted by removing the existing system, seeing as you are a pensioner, and halving your weekly running costs would be a great benefit to you.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up

BenJ wrote:
By, runs better on petrol, what do you mean?

LPG systems that use a mixer/ring style feed, will always perform better on petrol from mid to high rpm, due to the restriction the mixer/ring creates in the air intake.

However, a good tuned LPG setup will provide better low rpm torque, and is a lot cheaper to run on LPG as a daily driver.

My EB now has a vapour injected LPG system, which now gives better economy and makes the same outright power as it does on petrol, so there are other options out there.

I think you are being a little short sighted by removing the existing system, seeing as you are a pensioner, and halving your weekly running costs would be a great benefit to you.

Cheers
BenJ

Yeah Ben that's the reason why i am asking advice. It All comes down cash in the long run.
well when its running on LPG it chugs along like a fordson tractor .
Anyway i still have a bit to do to it. But its always good to plan ahead
Thanks for your advice Ben.

thanks Lucion

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

There might not be a huge difference in price were you are, but you will find gas will not go up and down like Petrol. Once you get use to gas it really aint that painful repair wise, and lets face it Fords on gas are quite reliable. Do you have the start on Petrol/ auto flick to gas setup? That way you wont dry her out running it on gas all the time. Just make sure to put $10 in it from time to time.
I had a 5L Nc Fairlane on dual fuel. It use to cost around $30 to $40 to fill 2 years ago in Griffith and that would give me about 500 to 600k's, sometimes more. Ran low on gas one day between Griffith and Bathurst and put $20 of fuel in it and it barely got me 200k's driving like a granny. As long as the tank is not a hindering in the boot for you keep it. I think from memory it costs f**k all to get it restamped for another 10 years

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

79raven wrote:
There might not be a huge difference in price were you are, but you will find gas will not go up and down like Petrol. Once you get use to gas it really aint that painful repair wise, and lets face it Fords on gas are quite reliable. Do you have the start on Petrol/ auto flick to gas setup? That way you wont dry her out running it on gas all the time. Just make sure to put $10 in it from time to time.
I had a 5L Nc Fairlane on dual fuel. It use to cost around $30 to $40 to fill 2 years ago in Griffith and that would give me about 500 to 600k's, sometimes more. Ran low on gas one day between Griffith and Bathurst and put $20 of fuel in it and it barely got me 200k's driving like a granny. As long as the tank is not a hindering in the boot for you keep it. I think from memory it costs f**k all to get it restamped for another 10 years

Well I only just got the car i took it for a 2 hour drive a hour on petrol and a hour on LPG.
then i brought it home and parked it to get it ready for a roadworthy.
And no its not the space in the boot I am worried about at all.
it just been in the Car since it was made that's why i am a little worried.
And this is the first time i have owned a car on LPG.
But from what all you guys are say I will be better keeping it.
Which is one of the reasons i made this thread. Sorry i just dont know anything about LPG

Thanks for your advice mate
Lucion

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What date is stamped on the compliance plate of the tank? Also seeing you not loaded with cash shop around on ebay and when you can or when they are cheap enough start getting spares just in case. That way you'll always be ok and lets face it there are crap loads of Ef's out there on gas thats getting wrecked. Home Lpg repairs on cars is like changing your homes tap washers... Its illegal but we all know people do it ( myself included). The only difference I suppose is if you stuff up with Lpg you blow up...... bugger. Its all simple mechanical principle though so repair wise you should be fine and before you know it you be saying Lpg where have you been all my life! I didnt go gas on my Ef as I need the boot space with 3 kids under 7.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 am 
Smokin em up

79raven wrote:
What date is stamped on the compliance plate of the tank? Also seeing you not loaded with cash shop around on ebay and when you can or when they are cheap enough start getting spares just in case. That way you'll always be ok and lets face it there are crap loads of Ef's out there on gas thats getting wrecked. Home Lpg repairs on cars is like changing your homes tap washers... Its illegal but we all know people do it ( myself included). The only difference I suppose is if you stuff up with Lpg you blow up...... bugger. Its all simple mechanical principle though so repair wise you should be fine and before you know it you be saying Lpg where have you been all my life! I didnt go gas on my Ef as I need the boot space with 3 kids under 7.

LOL you might be right
Well looks like I will do what you say mate.
It make sense for one. And the ideas you have about parts is a good idea as well :)

thanks a lot for your help guys :)
you all have been a lot of help to me

Thanks
Lucion

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 am 
Smokin em up

I am sorry if this is a stupid question. With having a car on LPG do i need special engine oil.
If so what would you recommend ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next