The ins and outs of mobile speed cameras 

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: The ins and outs of mobile speed cameras
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Seems as though the NSW motorcycling community are getting in on the act against these mobile speed cameras.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=16&t=94281

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

I think i got a couple of fines coming my way from the safety cameras. Minding my own business i wasnt aware there it is a 50 kay zone where a safety camera is near my house and may have got snapped on the weekend. Also may have got done by the safety camera at parramatta rd and m4 intersection under the bridge at parramatta. Innocently went into a clearer lane to pass traffic and at the time was not thinking about the cameras. Do the safety cameras take photos of the front of the car. Ive noticed on both occasions the camera was facing me from the opposite side of the road and no cameras were behind me. Im so nervous at the moment. A perfect driving record may be tarnished now for just being a few kays over the limit.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I got snapped 3 times within the space of 200m by red light cameras on Parramatta Rd a few years ago. 9 points gone without even realising. The things weren't even clearly signposted as such and I only remember sitting at the front of the cue at the noted intersections, never actually went through them. That incident made me never want to live in the inner suburbs.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I got snapped 3 times within the space of 200m by red light cameras on Parramatta Rd a few years ago. 9 points gone without even realising. The things weren't even clearly signposted as such and I only remember sitting at the front of the cue at the noted intersections, never actually went through them. That incident made me never want to live in the inner suburbs.

isn't this illegal and termed "haressment"?

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nothing harassing about a red light camera on almost every intersection from Leichardt to the city. Come to Sydney sometime young Alby. You will leave this dump of a place realising just how lucky you are over in draconian WA.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

There is that much safety cameras ,red light cameras etc in sydney these days you cant do a thing these days. Should get myself a 4 cyl :roll:

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Nothing harassing about a red light camera on almost every intersection from Leichardt to the city. Come to Sydney sometime young Alby. You will leave this dump of a place realising just how lucky you are over in draconian WA.

????
been to sidnee
was there for 2 years
left cause i missed the sunshine and fishing
(but better $$$ never hurt either lol)
never drove over there but

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Looks like our Private speed camera operators are going to be receiving cash incentives for prosecutability.

This was in todays telegraph (exerpt to the article in the following link)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 5945819267

What do you guys think?

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

My dad works for a government department in a state of australia... not going to give details about that, however, he goes out of his way to park right in front of mobile speed cameras blocking their field of view. When PC Plod comes over to ask him to move his government vehicle, he pulls out his ID and politely tells him to f**k off. PC Plod generally waits for my Dad to finish his lunch hehe or just f**k off somewhere else.
I remember hearing a story about a cop using a radar gun in the rain one afternoon who pulled over an OH&S inspector, and gave him a fine despite the inspector saying he was right on the speed limit etc etc. So when the Inspector goes back to his car he gets his hi-viz jacket and hat etc and his ID and fine book and goes back and books the cop for not wearing hi visibility clothing etc and for jumping out from behind a street sign infront of cars among other things hahaha, the fines were much much more than what the inspector got for within 10kph over. Bet that copper doesnt do traffic duty anymore.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You do realise that story is a s**t wives tale invented by some irate white collar bogan that has been proven wrong many times throughout history.

No one pisses me off more than that f**k roads minister Michael Borger. That son of a b**ch will scream speed kills till he turns blue in the face and dies from an brain haemorrhage. I bet he doesn't drive a car either. All this speed kills s**t is just well..... s**t. The first fatal motor vehicle accident was reported to have occurred at 4km/h. If they want to eliminate speed kills than that is how slow we will have to travel along the Hume hwy.

However having said that, ever since they dropped the speed limit on Picton Rd down to 90km/s it has made it a much more enjoyable ride where you can pick which ever line you want and hold it at the speed limit. When it was 100 far to many people crossed over the double line or the shoulder on some sections.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

regency wrote:
There's a REALLY good way of cheating governments out of LOTS of money -- don't speed. Set your cruise control or whatever.

That's Gold!

Perfect point there.

Ok, the tolerance crap rahrah.

I drove past one of those speed displays in the side of the road. My speedo is 3 Ks slow. I'm doin 50 when it said 53.

So even with my dodgy speedo, and a camera out of whack by 2Ks, if I sit on 50 on my speedo the cop will register 55. If he wants to be an a** he can try get me but honestly if he did Id be able to get evidence of my speedo being out slightly, proving that I was doing 50 according to me sitting in my car.

I've never had a ticket for being some stupidly small amount over like 56 in a 50 zone or whatever.

The law starts at 10Kay over anyway dosn't it?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The law starts at 0.1km/h over the limit.

Police operated radar gives a 10% tolerance. Fixed speed cameras give you a 4km/h tolerance whilst the new privately run mobile cars give you a tolerance of 2km/h.
So if you are in a 110 zone minding your business you could get done for 8km/h over the limit which is a 1 point offence in NSW. Factor in parallax error or a lazy eye and there's your 3 points.

Now you could try the whole "my speedo is slow but still complies with ADR blah blah blah" but guess what. That was tried in Victoria and it has failed so many times now that the judges send you packing if you try pulling that one over them. Where's your don't speed and you wont get caught mantra now?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Fair enough.

But how many tickets have you had or seen that were for say 54 in a 50 zone, or 113 in a 110?

If your 5 or more over then it's quite visible on your speedo so if your watching there's no excuse.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

90% of tickets are fro fixed speed cameras catching people going from 4-9km/h over the limit.
No one gets booket doing 113 in a 110 zone because fixed and private mobile cameras are not operating in those areas yet. Highway patrol men have the decency to let you off at up to 120 in a 110 zone. When fat f**k David Campbell was transport minister he was grilled big time as to why not a single ticket was issued for under 10 km/h over in a 110 zone. His only response was that he'll look into it. Well I don't think he found it at the poofter bar he going to for his entire political career.

As for your last point, did you not read my post? Pre 2006 build cars are allowed to have speedo's that are up to 10% slow and still be legal. Even when you go to get it "professionally calibrated" the technician will simply say that it is within legal limits. Which is still up to 10% slow. This means you could be up to 10 under on your speedo (not 5 over) and still be over the limit.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

In the last year and a half I've been issued 4 tickets for being 3 to 5 kph over the limit by mobile speed cameras, I have also received a ticket for being 8 kph over the limit, now this one is real special as the points of indication are 2.2 klm's apart and smack bang in the middle is a change of speed sign, 80-100 or 100-80 depending which way you are traveling, the camera car was in fact parked about 50 to 100 mts in the 80 kph section.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next