Fordmods Logo

Launching T5 down the strip tips 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Launching T5 down the strip tips
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

The best tip I can give is practice makes perfect.

Just use your first few runs how ever you feel comfortable then compare your 60ft times and adjust from there. Everyone has different ways of launching there T5.

My preferred way is using the hard brake so you can have the clutch on that little bit extra and it will stop the car from rolling. Then feed the power in slowly as you take off and depending on your power you might even have to feed 2nd gear a bit slow too, maybe even 3rd :twisted:. It works for me, but as I said find a way that is comfortable for you.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

when i ran my car down the track I held the revs at 2700-2800rpm and launched hard but not enough to wheelspin and ran a best ET of 14.5 on nankang 205 tyres

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DF LTD

VIC, Australia

launching comes with alot of practice,
you cant just sit there and launch from 2nd gear, the ratio is too high and you wont be able to lay down power till your moving at a fair speed...

so, 1st tip is to launch from 1st gear,

you'll need to practice launches, theres not alot people can actually TELL you, so alot of what you hear in here will be meaningless until you can get out there and start to get a feel for your clutch,

my XF used to launch great with the single rail, and you could hear the wheels screech but they never actually let go and spun,
thats what your after, on the verge of letting go

but yea, go out n practice, if you can get it do hook up nicely on the roads, then the strip will be no problem since theres a hell of alot more grip out there!

oh, and yea, rubbish tyres = rubbish launch lol

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

thanks everyone, Id say I can compile a very tidy list from this thread, from every viewpoint, differing or not. Very obliging of you all to contribute.

I look forward to setting this all into motion, and reporting back results and findings :)

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I don't know if XH5LWEPN looks in here, but I know he had some cheap tyres on his 17s when he ran his best time. He said they hooked up really well, but I don't remember the brand.

I don't know what Nangkangs cost, but I run Kuhmos on my car and I've managed a best 60 footer of 1.9 with the 18s. They hook up really well. I don't think they're in the expensive basket but perform really well.

One other thing to note though is the preparation of the track. If there haven't been any events on for a while where they get the start line prepped and nice and sticky, then you'll not get as good a launch compared to if they had.

As you can see, just about everyone has a different launch method, so like the others have said, get out there and get some practice (on the track, of course). You'll work out what works best for you and your car.

Good luck

Oh yeah, with the tyre pressure, I was meant to say if you don't feel 28psi is low enough, then drop it by another 2 and do it again if need be. Is 34 not low for normal duties?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

I used to use 205 kuhmos also with lowish pressure, I think by memory I used to get consistant 1.7-1.8 60ft times.

My techinque was to select second on the water trap and do a decent burnout. Then useing 1st holding about 2800 dump the clutch. I found the ratio's of a T5 and the XR 3:4:5 worked well, it felt like it was lifting the front wheels off the ground(thats the sensation your looking for, a** squating and the front lifting). It took me a while to get to that stage as had heaps of axle tramp issues but found the smaller thinner wheels worked great.

Remember there is 20 billion times more grip on the start line then on the side of a highway where you see coke bottles full of piss and used drug giving equipment. :shock: :?

Supercharger, extractors for sale
ford-parts-for-sale-f17/supercharger-3-exhaust-spool-rods-extractors-x2-t99480.html

More e series stuff from NF V8 fairlane for sale
post1252987.html#1252987

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

vegabass wrote:
I used to use 205 kuhmos also with lowish pressure, I think by memory I used to get consistant 1.7-1.8 60ft times.

My techinque was to select second on the water trap and do a decent burnout. Then useing 1st holding about 2800 dump the clutch. I found the ratio's of a T5 and the XR 3:4:5 worked well, it felt like it was lifting the front wheels off the ground(thats the sensation your looking for, a** squating and the front lifting). It took me a while to get to that stage as had heaps of axle tramp issues but found the smaller thinner wheels worked great.

Remember there is 20 billion times more grip on the start line then on the side of a highway where you see coke bottles full of piss and used drug giving equipment. :shock: :?

What car did you get those 60 footers? How much power was it making and what suspension were you running in it?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DF LTD

VIC, Australia

glad your able to take a bit away from this all, its what its all about really,

dont forget to post up some results!

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
vegabass wrote:

What car did you get those 60 footers? How much power was it making and what suspension were you running in it?

EL XR6
It made about 200hp at the treads (165rwks?)ish
it was running nolathane bushes in the rear (yuck) king ssl in the rear and crapola monroe GT Gas shocks.

I did a best of 14.2 or .3 I cant quite remember.
Standard XR clutch, standard T5 and standard XR 3:4:5 diff with lsd

This was 3-4 years ago when OED666 ran his 13.8.

Supercharger, extractors for sale
ford-parts-for-sale-f17/supercharger-3-exhaust-spool-rods-extractors-x2-t99480.html

More e series stuff from NF V8 fairlane for sale
post1252987.html#1252987

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

the pull to the left would have been caused by the camber on the road or other factors
drive on the other side of a road and do a burnout
the watts link only controls lateral motion of the axle
DO NOT get rid of it

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

djcustomcomputing wrote:
the pull to the left would have been caused by the camber on the road or other factors
drive on the other side of a road and do a burnout
the watts link only controls lateral motion of the axle
DO NOT get rid of it

the camber was sloping left to right, as I was on a slight right hand curve on the shoulder, so the high side of the camber.

Im only going of what some racing crew guys told me, so I cant comment on the validity of the statement.

I wasnt getting rid of it, just wondering if theres any tricks or adjustments you can make to it. Id rather leave no stone unturned, even if it means asking daft questions.

Couldnt save the money this fortnight (centerlink payments dont go far) but Im trying to get some money squirrelled away to make it happen.

Ive found out on the road, without really trying, that theres no traction in first, so Ive come up with a throttle application, sort of a linear progression. There isnt 100% grip, more like 30-40% on take off, 50% by half 1st, and into 30% grip on second, to 100% grip at the top of 2nd. all the way though second which is 95% wot, the bum squirms left and right slightly in this really intoxicating way. Ive found I rather like it, and have to stop myself from doing it all the time hahahaha.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've heard you can undo the front sway bar. I don't know how valid this is.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

if your looking for traction, get some 235's or 245's on the back

dont use so many revs 2500 should be about right.
handbrake on
get the clutch to friction point
set the revs
go
letting the clutch out from its set pos should be at the same speed ish that the accel goes down

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Big rev clutch slips get you off the line fast, in my ED I did 4krpm launches, and in my AU 4400rpm. Hard on clutches, yes, but fast off the line

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Scaffy,

I ran my best time and 60ft on a pair of Wanli 225/50/16's @ 28psi. They were brand spanking new and really sticky.

Yep 67RCE your spot on, big rev clutch slips get you quick 60fts.
You need to launch at peak torque, which in my ute is 4200rpm, ride the clutch and keep the RPMs to that point without breaking traction and free-revving.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next