BA XR6 turbo, traction control cutting when not ment to 

Page 1 of 5 [ 61 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: BA XR6 turbo, traction control cutting when not ment to
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

Just had my car almost 2 months, now, its a nice ba xr6 turbo, loving it, and then just today i go to give it some and once it goes over 3,000 rpm it makes the same sound as when traction control kicks in, that *BRRRRRRR* sound and like gives the feel of it missing and it cuts like half the power, but only under full throttle if u go half it wont do it, and it does it even when the wheels arent spinning, stil does it with traction control off. but up until 3000 rpm it goes as it should fine, has anyone ever had this happen or could i get some info, becuz im really puzzled, and is there a fuse for traction control, where is it?

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Post subject: Re: BA XR6 turbo, traction control cutting when not ment to
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

sounds like boostcut

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

nahh the boost isnt cutting out, thats the wierd thing, like the car is trying to go but something else is restricting it, i have no idea what aye, and i was just starting to have some fun with my car n this s**t happens, damn it!

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
sounds like boostcut

What steady said.
I'd check your Boost lines running from: the turbo compressor to boost control solenoid to wastegate actuator.
My xr6t did the same thing from what you've described, the boost line blew of the boost control solenoid.

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ohh really you serious, yours did the same thing, must'nt be on real well. ill have to check them, but what do you mean boost lines? which are they? never heard of boost lines? where abouts is the boost control solenoid? i know where the wastegate actuator is.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lukeyxr6t wrote:
ohh really you serious, yours did the same thing, must'nt be on real well. ill have to check them, but what do you mean boost lines? which are they? never heard of boost lines? where abouts is the boost control solenoid? i know where the wastegate actuator is.

boost/vacuum lines. Trace the small black hose that comes off the actuator, it should go to a solinoid sort of under the battery and then from there it goes to a brass barb on the front of the turbo. The boost vacuum lines can sometimes blow off as they dont put hose clamps on them. It happened to me when I flashed a generic tune in to my car.

My Cars

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

well lately i have pulled off the vacuum line goin to the BOV so it doesnt hold the piston shut and its also venting to atmosphere, so it doses but i dont think that has anything to do with it cuz where i pulled the vacuum hose off i blocked it up again so it wudnt suck in any un filtered air.

but i will definately have to do that might try and get onto it tonight if its possible to follow that line even when the battery is in, i have found also on this forum a way to clean the solenoid aswel, becuz its meant to make a big differnce in power, but where should i look for what you think it is where it has blown off, is that gonna be under the battery or will it be near the turbo?

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry used the wrong word to describe where the boost soliniod is. Its not under the battery its more so below it sort of about 30cm under coolant reserve tank, its not that far from the turbo. mine blew off from the top side connection to the soliniod from memory, happened about 2yrs ago..

My Cars

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ahh, rido, so i should be able to see it pretty easily, im guessing it will be really noticeable and ill see like the hose off and i might need to get a hose clamp or something to make it stay on, or something, have you heard about cleaning the solenoid for more power aswel? i might try that if this is the problem i so hope this fixes it

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

just had a look then, followed the line going from the wastegate actuator to the solenoid, and the black line going from the solenoid to the turbo, it doesnt look right tho but the small black line is run ontop of the radiator hose, looks like it should be under but i checked the lines and none of the ends has popped off.... so it definately isnt that problem then im guessing? i know it has something to do with traction control, becuz i hear if u make it kick in too much it can stuff up and lately it has been raining heaps so its constantly kicking in if i give it some, but now its just doing the same sound but even when i aint breaking traction... im thinking this is gonna be very costly for me :( on the plus side at least its driveable

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its not the traction control, its overboosting, it just so happens that the same method the ECU uses to control traction loss is the same thing it does to control over boost.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Why dont you just take it to Ford and let them look at it. Might be something simple and easy to fix as they have all the diagnostic s**t.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yer that could be possibly what it is steady ed, i have it in for a service tomoro, so they will look at that aswel and try to solve it n see what it is,

93EB, thanks that is like the most simple thing to do lol, just before u spend the big bucks u try fixin it yourself haha

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

guys worked out the problem, its definately the coil packs, and i need 6 new ones all 75 each :) not cheap...

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Cant Ford tell which coil pack is definately stuffed ? Instead of replacing all of them ?

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next