Fordmods Logo

Ef turbo front end rattle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef turbo front end rattle
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

I posted this in my build thread but haven't got any replies yet.

Ok so ive found this intermittant rattle from the front end of my engine, usually only occurs once warm and after a mild boosting session (90 degrees or over) according to coolant temp on my hand controller and only on idle, when i give it a bit of revs even as low as 1100-1200 it goes away. Then sometimes comes back when it drops to idle. At first i thought it was my serpentine belt tensioner rattling, but after pulling the belt off and checking and spinning all the pulleys they seem perfect and silent..... so i put it all back together and started it up and got it warm. I tried using a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen on various parts such as a/c compressor, belt tensioner, waterpump, timing case. I checked just about everything... it seems it might be an internal noise possibly from the timing chain?? It sounds exactly like when my old a/c compressor shat it self and the pulley was rattling but its definatly not coming from the a/c compressor this time.

Anyone had any similar problems to this and could shed some light as to what they think it is.... has really got me stumped....

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Post subject: Re: Ef turbo front end rattle
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

if its coming from the front end of the motor the first things id look at are your pulleys and the timing chain as youve mentioned

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah I know for sure it's not any of the pulleys as I have checked all of them. I think I'll have to pull the timing cover off and have a look :( haha owell it needs a front seal anyway as it has a slight oil weep...... Hmm

My eboost did something strange though. It has data logging for peak hold boost and peak hold rpm. The other day when I was experiencing this noise the eboost logged a peak hold rpm signal of 21,000rpm :O and yes it's properly calibrated for a 6 cylinder. Maybe it has spun the harmonic balancer? I don't know if this is possible or if the eboost was at fault...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo, EF 5.0L V8 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Does it sound like its coming from inside the engine?
Could be a lifter bleeding down once the oil is hot?

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

xhxrsix wrote:
Does it sound like its coming from inside the engine?
Could be a lifter bleeding down once the oil is hot?

Nah it sounds like it's outside the motor, I just can't put my finger on it. Noisey lifters are more of a ticking noise, I know the distinct sound as I had to replace a full set in my old engine.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Take your belt off and run the engine without the belt. If you still have the noise then you will know that it is internal, no noise it will be external.

Could be the timing chain tensioner, Oil gallery could be blocked?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Take your belt off and run the engine without the belt. If you still have the noise then you will know that it is internal, no noise it will be external.

i was going to suggest this, i had a bad noise coming from the front of my car the other day, i had to change the alternator anyway so i took the belt off and started the car for a few seconds and there was no noise, turned out the alternator wasnt charging and was the thing making this supercharger sound lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
SWC wrote:

i was going to suggest this, i had a bad noise coming from the front of my car the other day, i had to change the alternator anyway so i took the belt off and started the car for a few seconds and there was no noise, turned out the alternator wasnt charging and was the thing making this supercharger sound lol

Yeah, ive allready pulled the belt off and spun every pulley by hand and they are all silent in operation and no free play.... only thing i havent had a good look at is the harmonic balancer as i cant spin it freely without using a socket and breaker bar. But i will get it to make the noise then i might put it on the hoist at work and pull the plastic undertray off and inspect the balancer as its running.... i suppose thats the best way. If i still cant fault it outside the motor then i guess ill pull the timing cover and everything off and have a look..... yay fun times!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Got it to make the noise and pulled the serpentine belt off and yep still made the noise. Great so I'm almost certain it's the timing chain.

Never pulled the timing cover off in one of these. Are they hard to do with motor in the car? I have to replace timing cover seal as it is leaking anyway. Might just do it when my motor is out next. Cause I'm going to pull engine and gear box out to replace clutch before I take it for a retune with more boost...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]