Fordmods Logo

Positive Displacement Charger question 

Page 11 of 16 [ 234 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

I shall reiterate i am not a troll who baits idiots so i refuse to reply.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

I just cant understand why someone would go from a TTV8 after spending $22k on it to a powerdyne spec supercharged 6 and say how much better it is than its turbo equivalant.

Surely you have your reasons for doing this, if you explained your situation and why you changed then surely other people might understand what you are on about.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:47 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Steady ED wrote:
hahaha, I'm just telling the truth.
Blowers with internal belt drives shred belts when you spin them too fast.
You can "aircool" them, you can run tricky belts, whatever.
It still happens.
And I think it's wrong to push them without highlighting that.

I think most of us here are aware of the internal belt drive problem. did you know powerdyne just release the new gear drive{ XB-1A } unit for the BD-10. the unit is a bolt on replacement for the current useless silent drive unit thats capable of 18psi.

there is a mob in NZ who are way ahead that makes their own gear drives for their centri chargers years ago. they flow 1950CFM, thats double or more air delivery then whats available at the moment, apart from pro-charger. I know who they are but I'm not going to spam them in here. LOL

And Vortech do a V3 with an internal oil resorvoir, and a V24 Z-trim that flows 2000cfm.
Big whoop, none if it has anything to do with this thread LOL
You blokes are lost, badcooky comes in here and starts harping on about Raptors being better then "turdbos", he gets put in his place, and then you lot jump in and start defending Raptor chargers.
How much are you guys getting paid?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

No one is trying to force Raptor products on people they are only excited about there new found power adder thats all.

I tryed to realisticly price every thing for a single turbo v8(for my ebxr8)
and i simply couldnt see it being less than 6 grand, unless i could weld but i cant so no savings there.

The centri supercharger maybe a compromise but it doesnt change the fact that they work and work well they do, obviously badcooky loves his damn POWERDYNE ( read Raptor but as dan states ).

Im trying to understand why there is bad blood between these differing types of power adders, each and every single type works.

Some people preffer there setup over (substitute for your fav power adder here) for there own reasons, if setup correctly it will/should be a weapon.

No doubt that a well setup turbo application should produce better times but why compare a ba ute with a raptor to a fmi turbo xr6 ?, i have never seen nor heard of a T to have over 190rwkw STOCK.

Please noone try to take this the wrong way but understand we choose what we choose for our own reasons.

Peace Brad

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Slick wrote:
Steady ED wrote:
hahaha, I'm just telling the truth.
It still happens.

I think most of us here are aware of the internal belt drive problem. did you know powerdyne just release the new gear drive{ XB-1A } unit for the BD-10. the unit is a bolt on replacement for the current useless silent drive unit thats capable of 18psi.

there is a mob in NZ who are way ahead that makes their own gear drives for their centri chargers years ago. they flow 1950CFM, thats double or more air delivery then whats available at the moment, apart from pro-charger. I know who they are but I'm not going to spam them in here. LOL

And Vortech do a V3 with an internal oil resorvoir, and a V24 Z-trim that flows 2000cfm.
Big whoop, none if it has anything to do with this thread LOL
You blokes are lost, badcooky comes in here and starts harping on about Raptors being better then "turdbos", he gets put in his place, and then you lot jump in and start defending Raptor chargers.
How much are you guys getting paid?

I'm not defending rapture, in fact I haven't said anything defamatory nor defending any particular product. more neutral on the subject sort of speak. as I recall, the subject was about PD. But you lot prefer to pay more attention to a newby with a big mouth who appears to be doing a good job baiting you lot. :lol:

Just ignore him for now until he has solid proof {dyno printout}

As for getting paid? I'm getting the full raptor kit send down as a gift/incentive to organise a group buy. ROFL

I think you should all read raptor_xr8 post, maybe some of you will snap out of it & get back on topic. LOL

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I got put in my place? you are one dumb MOFO.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
It still happens.

I'm pretty sure Tim Staier is well aware of this fact, as one of the other things he does is repair & upgrade Powerdynes with better belts, bearings & impellor. IIRC he exports his bearings to the USA. So he knows a thing or two about the potential shortcomings of centrifugal SC's.

I could well be wrong, but I doubt that the design criteria for "the first all-new centrifugal supercharger designed from a fresh sheet of paper in more than 20 years" (according to http://www.928m.com/parts/raptorsuperchargers.php) would include the Powerdyne's out-of-the-box levels of quality and reliability as a benchmark.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Also Raptor clearly state that the blower will boost to 14psi BUT no warranty after 10.

Up to 10psi (warranted operation) and up to 14psi (no warranty if used over 10 psi)
See for yourself.

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/products.php

What i would like to see is people getting behind an Australian product, also ask youself why has capa now lowered there prices for there sealed head units?

Another thing to consider is belt slip which the capa brackets do seem to get a fair bit of

I personally cannot vouch for Raptor brackets etc as i have made my own system.

Look i think this has all gone off topic for far too long i will no longer contribute to off topic post's after this post

No harm ment Brad

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
Im betting the centri takes maybe 0.1 off the 60 foot if at all. unless you have a 3000 stall and can get it as near to boost as possible off the line.

That's what I was inclined to assume until I found this info --> http://www.928m.com/parts/raptorsuperchargers.php about a test installation on a Ferrari in the USA. I don't know whether it'll do anything like that on an I6, but the 2000rpm mark is significant to me. That's the stall speed of my converter. That's why I'm taking the time and trouble to run some objective tests for myself, no-one else can truly say how much effect it has on launch times and back it up with figures. When my numbers are in, I'll post them up, good, bad or indifferent.

And if anyone misconstrues that as "pushing" the product, they can go f**k themselves. :evil:

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Theres nothing wrong with raptor. just some punks trying to slander whats Australian made & owned. they should be supporting it. who knows, maybe in a few years they'll become the most sort after go fast bits world wide plus a more efficient model to keep up with todays fussy demands. it'll happen anyway regardless of scepticism because there are people out there who prefer a package thats easy to fit & forget. that brings us to the next objective, those who are greedy for boost, go for the "R" Tim has said he'll look into it for the 6's. centri blowers will become more efficient & reliable as technology progress. all you need is to package it & target the right market :!:
its not going to help the situation if the cookie monster keeps coming on here stiring s**t :evil:

Who knows. in due time, raptor could become sponsors!
has anyone thought of that?

sly, go f**k yourself. LOL

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Last edited by Slick on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

...and loving it... LOL

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

My bad.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

sly wrote:
That's what I was inclined to assume until I found this info --> http://www.928m.com/parts/raptorsuperchargers.php about a test installation on a Ferrari in the USA. I don't know whether it'll do anything like that on an I6, but the 2000rpm mark is significant to me.

"When fitted with a 2.5" pulley, our test Raptor produced 2 psi of boost at only 2000 rpm on a test Ferrari installation fitted with a 6.5" crankshaft pulley. At only 4500 rpm, the Raptor was already producing 6 psi! (Results vary depending on the engine the supercharger is mounted to). "

this is obviously pushed to the limit of the design. They have selected a specific engine and a specific crank pulley to pull the best figures available. Still it sets a benchmark as to how far it CAN go. I highly doubt a 4lt i6 would achieve the same results, as experience shows with those who have them fitted, the powerdynes usually dont have significant gains until 3000 rpm give or take a few hundered rpm.

which depending on your aplication may be entirely what you want! Horses for courses yet again...

enough on the centri supers now... does anyone have a price handy on the PD setups? and ideas on where you could get brackets made? How hard would it be for an engineering joint to machine a CMC aluminium adaptor for say a whipple? These are just a few of the questions needed to be answered when considering a PD supercharger.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

For short stroke engines as the Ferrari, of course they'll produce boost earlier.
CNC? kostecki comes to mind but I think they'll use their reputation as cost leverage I reckon. the only place I could think of is your local engineering firm. most of them would be happy to take on the challenge. after all, its engineering!
got some ideas on sliding rails which can be use to align the s/c pulley square with the crank.................

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

They dont call them Kostastacki for nothing! They wouldnt touch it unless it was Cylinder heads anyway.

Obviously Boost would depend on the RPM the motor can produce to find its limitations.

On a 4ltr I6 with a rev limit of 5500rpm you can calculate it out so you get Maximum boost (safe) at maximum rpm( again limiter). On my setup I get around 2psi boost at 2100 rpm and 8.7 psi at 5200 rpm. Thats on a dyno with a Manifold Pressure Gauge hooked up. Within Vortechs safe Limits I can step up to 15 psi, but that would be asking for trouble and belt slippage without a cogged belt. Regardless if the motor is a Ferarri or Datsun, the Rpm of the motor with the gearing of the crank pulley and blower drive will determine the boost.

If I didnt have a couple of cars Im working on I reckon I'd have a crack. Id be using the XF manifold as it would be a good starting point as distribution would be better than working with a BBM manifold. Id be alos mounting the whole lot up and getting pretty close with the original pulley before I'd go with sliding rails for the PD. Id get the blower pulley machined to suit as well. If it were Carby I'd sit the carb on top of the blower with an adapter plate, EFI is easier though for tuning.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 16  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next