Fordmods Logo

V1 S-Trim Installing Soon.... 

 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: V1 S-Trim Installing Soon....
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 2351

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

First of all i want to say thanks mainly to 4.9 EF Futura and ED XR8 for all of your help in my past posts, but also anyone else who has helped me with my sometimes stupid Questions.

Now, anyways i'm excited! Cause i have just picked up the brand spanker V1 S-Trim, but unfortunately its sitting on the floor in my bedroom :cry:

I am just after a few opinions and advice on a couple of things before i go and rip into the car in a week or two.

I picked up the blower and bracket and pulley setup for a 6cyl EL but i will modify to suit my 8. I've got all the oil feed lines and a few other bits and pieces.
I am searching for a 65-70mm T/B, 70mm MAF, Fuel Pump, Injectors and a Rising Rate Regulator. I am going to get all the plumbing i need through a mate so i don't think thats really a worry.

I was wondering about:

1. Where exactly do i get my oil line feed for the blower? (Is it from an oil pressure switch or something similar, or am i way off?)
2. Are there any particular problems anyone has encountered in bolting it all up yourselves?
3. Also, how long did it take you?
4. If Pete (XR9-Ute) hasn't got the Tweecer to work for my car yet, does anyone know someone or where i can get a Damn ECU for it from. I've got 2k to spend including tuning, if poss. I'm just still tossing up which one to buy. I thought of going for a Unichip, some of you guys liked it, others didn't so that kinda worries me a bit. I've read all the ECU write ups in the Forum but i just wanted to know what exactly i would need to look for in an aftermarket ECU.

5. Should i be particularly worried about anything when first running it. Once its dyno tuned, like for example, a run in period.

I think thats about it for the moment.

Thanks again guys
Dave
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 422

Joined: 23rd Mar 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

Location: Near Perth
WA, Australia

Be worried about all that torque on that poor poor T5 :P

Sounds good mate, got no answers to your questions, but good luck! 8-)

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

4) EMS8860, or the similar priced Haltech. Steer clear of unichip for this adventure.

I'd imagine you could get one installed plus some tuning for around $2k.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: V1 S-Trim Installing Soon....
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:

Now, anyways i'm excited! Cause i have just picked up the brand spanker V1 S-Trim, but unfortunately its sitting on the floor in my bedroom :cry:


Damn blowers are bigger than you think they gonna be huh?

Quote:
1. Where exactly do i get my oil line feed for the blower? (Is it from an oil pressure switch or something similar, or am i way off?)


Nah, spot on. Get a t-piece adapter so you can keep the pressure switch and also have the oil supply line tapped off it. You will need to tap a fitting into your sump for the return line. I cant help as to how this is done - my powerdyne runs dry as a nun's nasty (i.e. no oil feed)

Quote:
2. Are there any particular problems anyone has encountered in bolting it all up yourselves?


Do you smoke? Now would be a good time to start. Look, it's not that hard you must realise it's not a small job either. I had it easy as the CAPA kit was complete.

Just remember the key elements:

- Bracket... will be interesting trying to covert the I6 bracket. For your information, the V8 bracket basically bolts onto the power steering pump bracket on the V8. Maybe see if CAPA are willing to trade you a V8 for an I6 bracket. Getting this right is very important.
- Pulleys and belts... SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED MAKING SURE THIS STUFF LINES UP!!!!
- Plumbing. Not hard to do.

If you are trying to replicate a CAPA V8 setup - you will need to remove the power steering pump. This requires a special tool (repco supply an ABW one, but it aint cheap) or have it towed to Ford, have it removed and then have it towed home.

Have a look at my pics in the gallery. I've also got about 20 odd photos of when i was doing my install - PM me your email addy and i'll send them over.

Dont forget to get a BOV, very important with a supercharger.

Quote:
3. Also, how long did it take you?


I had most of it done in a weekend. Then a few nights after work. And plenty of time tinkering and adjusting belt alignment.

Quote:
4. If Pete (XR9-Ute) hasn't got the Tweecer to work for my car yet, does anyone know someone or where i can get a Damn ECU for it from. I've got 2k to spend including tuning, if poss. I'm just still tossing up which one to buy. I thought of going for a Unichip, some of you guys liked it, others didn't so that kinda worries me a bit. I've read all the ECU write ups in the Forum but i just wanted to know what exactly i would need to look for in an aftermarket ECU.


Unichip might do the trick but MAFs, EEC and boost make for a very interesting tuning experience. I'd take brad's advice and go the EMS.

Quote:
5. Should i be particularly worried about anything when first running it. Once its dyno tuned, like for example, a run in period.


Yep, run in (straight from CAPA install manual):

- idle for 10 minutes, do not rev. Stop engine and let blower cool.
- then go for a 10 minute drive - no boost, no RPM > 3000. Stop and let blower cool
- Then for the next 100-150km do not boost and do not let revs go above 3500

One more suggestion - the kit comes with a 25 page instruction booklet. I have this electronically but it's 8MB PDF file so I cant email this. I think EDXR8 might have this hosted online somewhere. This would be invaluable - as it has complete parts listing and shows all the tricky stuff like mounting air filers etc.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Oh wait, im not done yet :)

Using stock injectors? I would go for a 12:1 rising rate regulator. If you can afford 42lb injectors get them!!!

But otherwise go the 12:1 FMU and then have the car tuned once this is installed.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:28 am 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

I'm happy to host the manual, assuming no legal issues in doing so :)

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Heheh, there's no copyright expressed on the document - but not sure if this is implied or not...

I'd send it through but i dont think work email would allow such a doument....

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

hmm, something else comes to mind...

The power steering pump is held to the bracket with tamperproof bolts... the socket set you need is the female equivalent of torx bits... have a look and you'll see what i mean. Can get the sockets from Repco

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Heheh, there's no copyright expressed on the document - but not sure if this is implied or not...

I'd send it through but i dont think work email would allow such a doument....


zip it up and see how you go - try emailing to brad@totalweb.net.au :)

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Blanket ban on zips here.... ive sent the PDF through, fingers crossed.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

well done.. it got thru :D

I'll host it up in an hour or 2

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 2351

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Thanks Waggin and Martin,

I was going to run different injectors, i was originally going to get some 42lb injectors, but Joe from Cresent Motorsport, said they would more than likely kill the motor, from being too big, so he suggested 24lb's instead. Would this be enough, because if i can, i would like to have bigger for room to expand later on, so long as it doesn't harm the motor now.

I was also told to get a 10:1 Rising Rate Regulator as well as injectors?
Do i need this as well as getting injectors and would a 12:1 be more appropriate?

Has anyone had any problems with the Wolf 3D Version 4, or is it just plain crap, cause they don't seem too expensive and i can probably get one tuned locally.

I emailed CAPA about a week ago about swapping it over with a V8 bracket but have had no reply.
Apparently my boss knows a metal fabrication guy who could laser cut a piece of metal the same thickness with whatever holes for mounting i need for about $50. So has anyone got a template........???????? :wink:

Martin, i think i may have the female torx bits. I have the set, with the one that will remove the seatbelt bolt, so i think they're female, if not i'll be able to pick some up and add them to the slowly building tools in the garage.

I know a few guys who work at Ford, so i may be able to see if they want to or can lend me the tool over the weekend..... :?

Also, just a stupid question, i haven't had a good look yet, but do you think the Pulleys for the 6 would be the same for the 8, except maybe having to get a different sized belt perhaps?

I think this is the last Question i have for this post, but are you running any Water Injection for cooling, or even a cooler?

Thats it, one more... What would you guys run, any opinion.... 8 or 10 PSI?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
I was going to run different injectors, i was originally going to get some 42lb injectors, but Joe from Cresent Motorsport, said they would more than likely kill the motor, from being too big, so he suggested 24lb's instead. Would this be enough, because if i can, i would like to have bigger for room to expand later on, so long as it doesn't harm the motor now.

I was also told to get a 10:1 Rising Rate Regulator as well as injectors?
Do i need this as well as getting injectors and would a 12:1 be more appropriate?



Not sure what he means by harm... as i understand it, the 42lb injectors will support more power than the block is capable of handling. It can be tricky getting the motor to behave well at idle with large injectors...

The rising rate regulators are used when your injectors do not flow enough for the horsepower you're chasing. Im using a 12:1 regulator as i have puny standard 19# injectors. If you go with 24# injectors, 10:1 rising rate reg would do - and then tune injector pulse width to suit.

Quote:
I emailed CAPA about a week ago about swapping it over with a V8 bracket but have had no reply.
Apparently my boss knows a metal fabrication guy who could laser cut a piece of metal the same thickness with whatever holes for mounting i need for about $50. So has anyone got a template........???????? :wink:


Dont bother emailing CAPA - they simply dont reply. Get on the phone with em. I was dealing with justin... i think he's a holden man but he knows his stuff with the ford kit...

Quote:
Martin, i think i may have the female torx bits. I have the set, with the one that will remove the seatbelt bolt, so i think they're female, if not i'll be able to pick some up and add them to the slowly building tools in the garage.


Nah, im referring to the torx-style sockets, as opposed to the bits. i.e. the opposite of the bit you use to remove the seat bolt...

Quote:
Also, just a stupid question, i haven't had a good look yet, but do you think the Pulleys for the 6 would be the same for the 8, except maybe having to get a different sized belt perhaps?


Nope. You need the V8 crankshaft pulley with the spacer. You'll also need new (longer) bolts to allow the second crankshaft pulley to bolt into the harmonic balancer. It will make sense when brad throws up the instructions - it has details of all the bolts you need. The supercharger pulley would be the same, as would the idler pulleys for the blower bracket.

I think the vortech kits run an 8 rib belt. if you go 8 rib, You'll need a new power steering pump pulley and 8 rib crankshaft pulley to suit...

The way the belts work... the pow steering pump pulley is moved forward... the standard belt runs as normal but DOES NOT run aroun dpower steering... the new length for this belt is 2515mm... the blower belt runs around the new crank pulley, around power steering and the blower/idler pulleys.

I have pics :wink:

Quote:
I think this is the last Question i have for this post, but are you running any Water Injection for cooling, or even a cooler?


Yeah i run water injection on mine - the kit came with the CAPA supercharger kit.

Quote:
Thats it, one more... What would you guys run, any opinion.... 8 or 10 PSI?


Start with 8/9psi for the vortech. This is likely the pulley that's already fitted to the blower. Once its all up and running, look at replacing the pulley and upping boost.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 2351

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Thanks Martin,

I think what Joe meant by harm, was that for some reason having too big of a T/B, MAF and Injectors, they would somehow be too much for the motor and would 'kill' it.
So if i can get 30lb or bigger injectors, would i need to get a Rising Rate Regulator? How much roughly would a Rising Rate Reg be?

Thanks, i will try to call CAPA tomorrow and see if they might swap the bracket and pulleys over. I hope they do....... :cry:

That was the other thing i was going to have to address, which was the cooling side of things. Obviously a Water Injection Kit works well enough, and i'm guessing it is totally necessary?

I'm only trying to cut things out for the moment that i won't need, just to keep the costs down a little.

Thanks for your help again.

Dave
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

30lb you probably still want a 2:1 or 4:1 rising rate.

Anyone else like to comment on that?

Can get em from CAPA - have also seen them on ebay.

I run water injection, but not really necessary on the powerdyne. I'd definately use one on the vortech - should make life much easier when tuning.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names