Fordmods Logo

347 stroker issues 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 347 stroker issues
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

hello, i'm thinking of doing a stroker - 347. However, have heard of issues with them such as having to machine out lower piston sleeve, poor stroke/rod ratio, and the piston pin sitting high up in the oil ring.

how did FTE overcome this all this when building the 250Kw 347 for the T3's - or they didn't :? or did they they use different setups - block, etc.

cheers

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just use good pistons, run correct bore / piston clearance with longer 5.4" rod and you'll be fine..
The issue with pin under oil ring ? Is fixed with tool steel liners that support oil ring,[C.P piston ] no big issue these days...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks mate. i've just heard these negatives

what was T3 250kw rod/crank ratio combo, and i'm guessing it fits straight into std xr8 block.

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

You need to grind the block to fit it, and also run a mains girdle.

347 stroker runs the following:
3.400" stroke
5.400" rod
1.100" comp height piston

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

Machining the bottom of the bores to accomodate the the conrod nut clearance is not a big drama,just a tungsten carbide bur bit in a drill worked foe mine.
Just take the time to correctly mark out where the metal must be removed from.
With the piston pin intersecting the oil ring you can go with the oil ring supports as EBXR8380 said or pistons that dont have the pin intersect the oil ring.Either way is fine.

EL2 XR8 Auto 13.64 @ 100.76 MPH with a 2.05 60ft. Now sold!

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks guys,

just a little of the subject.

in your experinces and knowledge, what are the differences between stoking or supercharging, apart from obvious.

i'm tossing up between the two. what are the pros and cons.

i'm thinking:

stroker - pros=good torque, simplicity. cons=crack open engine, remove engine, mess around with block.
supercharger - pros=good power gains, don't have to touch engine(really), can be installed & removed easy enough. cons=extra heat&noise, extra stuff to wear and go wrong, space in engine bay, complex system.

they are both around the same price - $10,000 by the end of all (actaully i think the SC may be cheaper)

do you guys agree?

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Fire s-tranzor and schnoods a message each. s-tranzor's stroked his and schnoods has supercharged his. I think they're both efs but should give you an idea.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Last edited by Scaffy on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks, will do

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Imo forced induction is cheaper and more drivable..
If you keep within good safe tune...
A 450 N/A engine won't have the low end pulling power of a blown engine at 400 h.p..
Even if the N/A engine is a 347...
Some think its cheating fitting a blower to an engine???
I think its just bloody clever !!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

i tend to agree with you. also a SC can be taken off and sold, put on another car, etc if required.

a stroker you are stuck with it.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Im happy with mine, ended up costing me 8 grand all up. I put a blower on just because I had only 135k on the clock.

Pulls hard for a stock motor, the HO heads and stock running gear are letting it down, but im happy with the results.

There's an AU3 xr8 over here in perth thats in the 12 sec bracket with just an 8 psi kit non intercooled, stock motor too. Just depends what your into i guess.

If i had my time again I probably woulda considered the stroker, but i doubt i would have change from 10 grand.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks schnoods.

mine is an AU2 XR8 with only 95K. When i changed the heads (GT40X), i noticed the cross hatching was still on the bores!

more and more I am leaning towards a SC.

what is your opinion on the new paxton self oiler, and i beleive vortech are going to do the same thing.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

I've only got a baby stroker. 347 SCAT/CROW rotating assembly with suped up GT40p heads. 311.3rwhp and 600nM+ of torque. performance wise it this thing will rock your socks. It has no specific powerband as both torque and power curves are linear right up to the redline (See my build thread or check dyno registry for charts)

More expensive than the blower. Everything I had done cost me around $12000 (I got ripped on a couple of things I might add), but that includes new heads, intake manifold, maf, TB, switch chip tuning etc etc. Also took a lot of time. Essentially you end up with a new engine (With all a new engine's teethign issues too I might add) It has a naturally aspirated engine's reliability which was a key factor for me. And it will handle whatever you want to throw at it.

The reason I chose stroker is because I reckon chucking a blower on an old worn engine would kill it faster. My bottom end was already loose like a $2 pro anyhow. Sure its great bang for buck... but how long would it last until something gave way in the engine? Plus a strong bottom end would provide a good base for a blower one day down the track also :) For the amount of $$$ you would spend you would want a long troublefree life out of it, which is also what I looked at.

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

yeh, if i was to recon the motor anyway - i would go a stroker. but the motor in my car has only done 95K, which is nohing, plus it's got new heads.

yes granted, a SC is something else that wears, but i think if you look after it should last as long as the engine. it's probably important not to overboost aswell.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

TKFDXR8 wrote:
the motor in my car has only done 95K, which is nohing

95k is bugger all - it's just nicely run in!

s-tranzor wrote:
a strong bottom end would provide a good base for a blower one day down the track also :)

Mind you, seeing as the stock block is so thin walled etc, you can stroke it or you can SC it but doing both on the stock block would IMO be more than the block could handle.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next