351W into XE ute 

Page 3 of 8 [ 115 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Quick Q Pete. Do you have another lower fro the RPM manifold lying around. Reason i ask is that my RPM Manifold is for a 5.0, and wont fit my new 351 block. Also, can you send me a PM with your last name so i can send you my ECU as we discussed late last month
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:30 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Damage wrote:
Have I missed something Pete :) , why is a dissy fitted?

I need to get the car going asap. So I can just plug everything in as before I used the distributor ignition. The EDIS will happen soon after. I still have to make CID encoder and I'll modify the AU engine harness to plug into the ED EECIV main harness.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Quick Q Pete. Do you have another lower fro the RPM manifold lying around. Reason i ask is that my RPM Manifold is for a 5.0, and wont fit my new 351 block. Also, can you send me a PM with your last name so i can send you my ECU as we discussed late last month
Brett

No I don't have another Performer lower lying around....I bought it new from VPW(yeah I know I was surprised they had one too!).
A new one from them should be in the $500-$600 range I would think.
I already PM'd you with my last name before. Didn't you get it?

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Got it, thanks, and ecu on the way
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:17 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ok Folks here's the mods required to the alternator bracket to clear the block ground strap boss(the bolt boss sticking out below the head in the shot below) which now gets in the way thanks to the taller deck height.

Here is the before shot...

And after...

It seems these EFI type rocker covers do have enough clearance for the alternator...

Might have to reclock the regulator housing for clearance.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:23 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Got it, thanks, and ecu on the way
Brett

No wuckers,
Hey you sure don't want a Performer lower if you're doing a big inch windsor though. You'll need the Victor 5.8 at a minimum.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yea, but i already have an RPMII for the 5.0, and i like it a lot. Not after Horsepower, after Torque and lots of it. Will be on the bottle to make up for any short comings in the HP department
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I can see a few docos in development here :D "How to fit a 351W to a X series" and "How to fit a EB/EL 5.0L serpentine belt setup to a 351W"

Pete, do you know how to make pretty looking arrows etc in photo editing software to point out things in pictures?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:59 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Yea, but i already have an RPMII for the 5.0, and i like it a lot. Not after Horsepower, after Torque and lots of it. Will be on the bottle to make up for any short comings in the HP department
Brett

I still think you need the Victor. The runners are so small on the Performer that you'll actually reduce torque on a 400+ inch engine.
Remember they only make a Performer for 351 not an RPM which does have a bigger runner cross-section.

Pete.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:10 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ok, Fired it up last wednesday night then after some clutch line bleeding and some other small items I drove it all day Sunday and it runs mint.
I ran it with the stock A3M1(A9L service replacement) EECIV, stock 19lb inj and stock 55mm Maf for the moment. You can feel the restriction of the MAF but it's got wicked torque and you can drive along at 40k in top gear no worries. I think some 3:1 gears will suit this engine better too.
Sure is good to have the 'Loader back in it too.
I'm now running around with a 1DFA eec and the TwEECer just as a test for a guys' EB XR8....runs sweet as running the stock cal(only turned on thermofan control using the TwEECer).
I must admit it does sound a little too loud(but bloody nice!) at present but a 2 1/2" twin with no tailpipes will do that. The idle is smooth as it should be with the smallest hyd roller available from Comp and yet it sounds tough. Touch enough to have everyone rubber neckin at traffic lights going WTF!? Of course that mean't I had to dodge the Pork about 5 times on Sunday!

Some other problems to be solved before running were;
power steering pump to inlet tube clearance.
The picture below shows what we did to the pump to effectively make the stock reservoir into a "manifold" for the fluid. The filler neck was cut down to within 10mm of the reservoir body. We machined a nylon bung with an O-ring groove and used it to plug the hole with two small screws to secure it. We were originally going to use the stock cap and screw that on but the filler neck does in fact taper to a smaller diameter at the base. Note also that we cut off the original 5/16" return barb and made a bolt through brass fitting using a bulkhead fitting silver soldered to a cut down 3/4" barb. This allows maximum gravity feed from the remote reservoir.
I also had to get the stock XE power steer pressure hose increased in length by about 125mm.

Here's the whole thing mounted up with a Ford Focus reservoir.

and the view from the top...You can see also the blockoff plate I made for the A/C compressor to keep the s@#t out of it while I sort out new lines and a new posi for the receiver/dryer.

The next problem was the serpentine belt. 2690 is the stock 5.0 length.
The next readily available size was a 2720 which had only enough tension to keep it on the pulleys and no more. There is a 2715 but no-one seemed to have one in Perth. So I switched to an AU 5.0 top idler pulley which is larger in diameter than an EB-EL one and got the tension I needed using the 2720.
Yes I know the coil bracket is disgusting and the inlet tube setup is a disgrace but at short notice what are you gunna do? Anyone got a 5.0 coil bracket kickin around?

And here it is itching to get out of the filthy workshop.

I'll post again when I've done some TwEECin and fitted the Pro-M 80 again. Oh and I'll get some shots of where to cut the bonnet bracing for intake clearance.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 XH XR6

VIC, Australia

hows she runnin pete any probs?

ONE FOR RUM AND RUM FOR ALL

4.0ltr 1998 XH XR6 - 2 JVC 4way 6X9's - 2 JVC 4way 4" in doors - JVC head unit - AU XR8 intake snorkel

Paceys, hi flow cat and many more still to come

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:40 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yep,
She's runnin good thanks wobbo.
I still haven't switched to EDIS but I may do soon because it's seems to have developed an intermittant ignition problem...the Hi-6 is about 10 years old now.
I've put my LPG system back on it too. Stopped past the dyno on saturday so we spun it up just to adjust the gas system because it still had the same settings from the previous cleveland engine. It had blown the aircleaner and inlet tubing off it a few times with the ignition problem whilst on gas.
Did a power run on petrol and made a peak of 261hp @ 4800. and torque is flat from right down low to 4500rpm. At a glance it's averaging over 300 engine hp from 2000 to 5000rpm but I'll post the actual average soon. It's a little rich at 12:1 up high but it's pretty good since I've only guessed at a calibration since I built it.
Took it down the track a while back and got a 14.00 @ 102mph. Pretty good considering the weight and the f**k toploader taking about 1/2 a second to shift!? On one run I missed 3rd completely, f**k around trying to get into gear and still ran a 14.2! Some 3.00 or 3.25's should help it go into the 13's as it's slowing at 3/4 track and pulling over 5 grand across the line which of course is too much for this engine.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:44 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Righto,

Here's some average figures using 4.9 EF Futura and data-mine' excell spreadsheet...Thanks Lads.
I only used 6 data points from the start of the run(2000rpm) to where the power dropped off at the top of the run(5000rpm)to get these results;
Average Rwkw 154.73
Average Rwhp 207.5
Assuming a 30% drivetrain loss the flywheel figures came out to what looks like a rather optimistic result of;
Average Fwkw 221.04
Average Fwhp 296.43
Average Fwtq 465.93 ft/lb
Average Fwtq 631.72 Nm
I say optimistic because it suggests 373 fwhp at the peak of 4800 which I seriously doubt. 340hp yes, 373 no.

Pete.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:12 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

intersted in selling injection setup off the clevo?

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

10,000_Fists wrote:
intersted in selling injection setup off the clevo?

Sure...what are you offering?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 8  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next