Fordmods Logo

5.0efi vs I6 

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

CAI + filter, pacies + 2.5" exhaust.
Long range planning is roller rockers, bigger TB and ported inlet manifold or one from an AU maybe.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Last edited by Vic on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

When did you get the xtractors n zorst done?
Did you have them on at the philip island meet?
I didnt notice if ya did, but thats only coz flyingXR8 's car was so loud lol!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Daniel wrote:
When did you get the xtractors n zorst done?
Did you have them on at the philip island meet?
I didnt notice if ya did, but thats only coz flyingXR8 's car was so loud lol!

Yeh FlyingXR8's car was a little loud wasn't it? :)
Anyway yes, the bolt ons had been installed well before Phillip Island cruise but the reason you didn't hear a major difference from stock was that I'd deliberatly asked for a muffler that was quieter than the one they usually put on with extractor / exhaust changes but didn't restrict performance at all. They gave me what I wanted and the only giveaway is the exhaust tip they put on otherwise people would go right on thinking it was stock from the looks of the car. 8-)
Loads more grunt and sharper throttle response just with those goodies onboard and surprises people at the lights...

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

Okay lads, all im going to say is to all the Future 200rwkw boys, you better have a nice long chat to your insurance companies before modding begins..... :)

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Man, 200rwkw is alot of power. You will FEEL it, guarenteed. The problem is in wet weather - you will need some seriously sticky tyres ( read: expensive ) to handle that power or you'll have to be gentle with the throttle. I have some nice new soft compound and sticky tyres on mine and in the wet with full throttle down, three people in the car, the back end lets go and I'm sideways in gear changes going up a hill and I've just got bolt ons with my engine. 200rwkw is a bigger step.

I'm not intending on bragging but how about 330 odd rwkw...VERY dangerous !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
aber_run wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
I havn't come across any LS1's very quick on the street....

If I was to buld a nice combo Windsor I'd go 3.25 stroke 5.4 " rods, lightest pistons I could get. Crane 2031 cam, AFR 205 or TFS highports or R series heads, Edelbock RPM, TFS track heat inlet, 75mm throttle body and 76 pro-m maf with 30Lb calibration for 30 Lb injectors, 255 Walbro intank pump and aftermart fuel rails...Aim for 9.5 to 10.1 compression... 3.9 diff ratio.. Maybe lower [4.1] if auto..Would need quiet but good exhaust....

So what kind of power would this combo make? do you have an idea of approx cost?

Yeah good question, out of curiosity anyway.

Approx 215 rwkw could be more with less tractable cam..
Ratating assembly $2500 including long rod etc...

Alloy heads from $2200 with all bells ans whistles

Inlet $950

Throttle body $450

Maf Pro-m $500

Injectors $350

intank pump $200

Cam $350

Machine and assemble $1000 to turn key...
We are talking hi performace NEW engine here...
Except for block its money no object...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

A 150hp N20 plate system (sits between the upper and lower manifolds like a phenolic spacer) will also give you the same kick for a short space of time. There are guys on corral running 200HP kits on completely stock motors and running damn good times - only problem is you know you are sitting on a handgrenade - oh and it's illegal to run on the street :roll:
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:23 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:

If I was to buld a nice combo Windsor I'd go 3.25 stroke 5.4 " rods, lightest pistons I could get. Crane 2031 cam, AFR 205 or TFS highports or R series heads, Edelbock RPM, TFS track heat inlet, 75mm throttle body and 76 pro-m maf with 30Lb calibration for 30 Lb injectors, 255 Walbro intank pump and aftermart fuel rails...Aim for 9.5 to 10.1 compression... 3.9 diff ratio.. Maybe lower [4.1] if auto..Would need quiet but good exhaust....

But the LS1's pull heaps better than any factory windsor I've driven. Driven a friends VY SV8 manual a few times . I can tell you it has real go for a stock factory car with resonable fuel economy.
ghiaman

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:19 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The I6 will respond very nicely to all the usual mods and is much cheaper to mod and the reality is a modern OHC 4 litre six will put out very nearly the same power as an old pushrod 5 litre V8.

The Windsor is a lovely torquey engine and pleasant to drive and sounds good but I find few get away from my six. Even on dyno days most only show less than 5% more rear wheel kw than mine.

However fuel bills aside I would love a 347 stroker Windsor.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:43 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

jonbays wrote:

Yes, now you're talking.

EL2 XR8 Auto 13.64 @ 100.76 MPH with a 2.05 60ft. Now sold!

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ghiaman wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:

But the LS1's pull heaps better than any factory windsor I've driven. Driven a friends VY SV8 manual a few times . I can tell you it has real go for a stock factory car with resonable fuel economy.
ghiaman

Well your comparing a VY (new model and engine) to a (in some cases)10 year old PLUS engine lol, go figure.
The early ls1's were absolute s**t IMHO, the latter were no slow coach, thats for damn sure.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I haven't been in a VY LS1 but I have been in a VX LS1 ute, and for general around town driving a healthy Windsor will give one a hiding, it isn't till you give it heaps before you know they fly.

Lots of people optioned the supercharge V6 because of the poor low rpm torque in the LS1, but I bet that has changed and there is probably no better value for $ modded engine V8 than a LS1, shh "man I hated saying that!"

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Damage wrote:
I haven't been in a VY LS1 but I have been in a VX LS1 ute, and for general around town driving a healthy Windsor will give one a hiding, it isn't till you give it heaps before you know they fly.

Lots of people optioned the supercharge V6 because of the poor low rpm torque in the LS1, but I bet that has changed and there is probably no better value for $ modded engine V8 than a LS1, shh "man I hated saying that!"

Thats what i was saying, i took the xs ss ute untill it got to 100-120, then it was movin :o

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I6 is a good engine, for the 5k or so, the DEV5 will get you 180rwkw which is bloody plenty for street!! Also if you drive sensibly, you will get 10L/100km or around about that..

If you want more power, it would mean turbo. 5k on the Windsor will probably get around about the same as a DEV5 power wise but remember the torque of the V8...

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jonbays wrote:
The I6 will respond very nicely to all the usual mods and is much cheaper to mod and the reality is a modern OHC 4 litre six will put out very nearly the same power as an old pushrod 5 litre V8.

The Windsor is a lovely torquey engine and pleasant to drive and sounds good but I find few get away from my six. Even on dyno days most only show less than 5% more rear wheel kw than mine.

So true, with an unmodded 165-175kw Windsor its all about smooth delivery of torque- not smack bang power!

The other day I had a fun torque race with a VE commo, I only revved the ghia 5.0 to like 2,500rpm each gear- the commo usec his torque too but was suprised by the old windsors endless GRRRRRRRR though the gears even at low revs....windsor drivers know what I mean.
SMOOTH BOYS, SMOOTH thats what its all about with thse stock 5.0's No effort normal driving, quite capable of keeping up with normal traffic conditions.

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next