Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: au2 gt40's onto eb
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i've finally came accross a set of gt40's within my reach ($500) and am just sussing out whether or not they are definitely a straight bolt up. can i use my current extractors or do i need to factor in some exhaust cost as well? what about pushrods, will mine be ok or should i grab some extra bits off the au motor as it is complete at the moment. unfortunately my funds don't stretch to the manifold as well but one step at a time.

i'm aware of the need for new leads with the 90deg boot although the ones i have look like about that angle anyway. do they run the same plugs or am i up for a set of them as well.

i'm handy enough with spanners to be able to do it all myself so just finding out all i need before hand. normally i just go hammer and tongs at it and then after pulling it all apart, realise i don't have all the parts req.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What extractors do you have at the moment? Some will fit (with difficulty) others may not fit.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

not 100% sure but i think they are hurricane. no real way of telling i guess except bends are all mandrel.

that seems the biggest hurdle. if they match up then its pretty straight forward by the sounds.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
not 100% sure but i think they are hurricane. no real way of telling i guess except bends are all mandrel.

that seems the biggest hurdle. if they match up then its pretty straight forward by the sounds.
and new plugs iridium---$9-14.60each,i got quoted by my parts guys $14.60 each,but prices will vary---a lot,also brands--thats NGK,my guys keep---other brands?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i don't believe there is a lot of power to be had in plugs. the only advantage platinum/iridium plugs have is there longevity but you pay accordingly. plugs are easy to get to on the windsor so i think i'll just stick to the normal ngk's for now.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

there's been a slight twist to the tale. the heads that i had my eye on have turned out to be something other than gt40p's. the wrecker swears black and blue they are off a au2 v8 (non xr) but there is no 'gtp' casting on them. the only identification on them was a 't' cast in the top at the front above the first spark plug where gt40p's have a 'p' cast in them.

can anyone confirm what these heads are as i don't have that on my e7's. i was of the understanding that all au v8's came with gt40p's. my brother has a au2 forte v8 and that has them. i suggested that maybe they weren't off an au but the guy was 100% they were.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Did you take a picture of those heads? If you have then post them up for us.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

I doubt very much that they are off an AU, and are definately not GT40P's.

I think i can remember my old heads having a T cast into them and they were just E7TE's i believe, they are at work at the moment just sitting there, i'll get them out tomorrow and have a look for ya.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

unfortunately no pics as i haven't personally viewed them. the plug angle will be another give away as well but unsure if the bloke on the other end of the line is all that cluey so didn't bother going down that path. the wrecker is a good 2hr round trip from my place but seems i might have to make that journey.

the other scenario is even though the wrecker pulled the engine from an au2 doesn't mean the owner of said au didn't put e7's on at some stage for some silly reason although the 't' casting doesn't really match up with e7's either.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
I doubt very much that they are off an AU, and are definately not GT40P's.

I think i can remember my old heads having a T cast into them and they were just E7TE's i believe, they are at work at the moment just sitting there, i'll get them out tomorrow and have a look for ya.

cheers bloke. this is my thinking as well.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

found these on ebay which seem to confuse the issue even further

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... otohosting

looking at the main pic it seems these have a 'T' cast into the top left of the head on the right. they also have gt40p stamped in the top so there is no doubt what these are. the wrecker that i am dealing with is looking at a complete motor i think so would not see the gt40p stamped in near the springs. too bad these ebay ones are pick up only as thats a awesome price at the moment although i do realise how these bids work and there is 3 days to go.

apologies to anyone watching these heads.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Lol, watch that price jump if those are the actual km's.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'd be ringing the wreckers and asking him to pull off a rocker cover, if he does that he definately cant get it wrong.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

problem solvered! i went for a drive out there today and long story short, i walked out $500 poorer. the ones we had been discussing over the phone were not gt40p's but i very much doubt they were au2 as well. i was about to walk out but asked if he was sure he didn't have any other au v8 motors lying around. turns out he did have some but i could tell he thought they didn't have gt40p's. i went and had a look and the signs were clear as day that these were the ones. the only drama is i have no idea how many km's are on them but they looked fairly clean in the ports. there is another set there if anyone else is interested.

i will bolt them up over the weekend and then get it tuned when my microtech comes back (hopefully next week also). obviously i won't get the full potential as i'm still running the ho manifold but hopefully they will be an improvement over the e7's. i made 158rwkw before so hopefully i can be somewhere closer to 170. the intake restrictions are not as much as normal as i'm running mafless with 65mm tb. i've also had the diff converted from minispool to l.s.d. so theoretically there will be less loss through the drivetrain as well.

alls well that ends well i guess.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Good stuff mate, be sure to keep us posted wont ya?

Not sure if i've missed it but what other mods are you running mate?

STREETBUILT RACING

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next