Fordmods Logo

ED 5L on dedicated gas. Why not? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ED 5L on dedicated gas. Why not?
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey folks...
I am going to be rebiulding the ED Sprint engine next year and want to convert to injected gas only. Dont want a dual system, too much unnecessary gear/weight to carry around.
I havent been able to get any workshop to consider it, they always quote that purging the lines is required and petrol is a must. Its cant be that hard, the new Falcon LPi can do it by running the pump as soon as the drivers door opens.
Anyone had this done?

Any man over the age of 26 that drives a car of less than 8 cylinders with a 0-100kph time greater than 7 seconds must consider himself a failure.

Post subject: Re: ED 5L on dedicated gas. Why not?
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

must be possible as there is a 5lt EB here in sydney that runs straight gas with the ol' mixer ring set up, the fuel tank was removed to reduce weight!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:06 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

send sam12h a pm, this is the guy Fairlane6970 speaks of.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Purging the lines might be required on a liquid injection system, but I have not heard of it on vapor injection systems. Hell, my vapor injection system on my EB Ghia I6 can even cold start on LPG, it will run s**t till it warms up, but it will start & idle roughly until it warms up & then runs good.

The LPG installer said it wouldn't cold start or LPG start (currently starts on petrol & switches over. I can change this whenever I can be bothered & have run cold start LPG in summer, it's hard to live with in winter tho!). It can do those when it's configured to do so. IT will not however run in a stand alone configuration. It requires a petrol ecu & fuel system to pickup injector signals & then rework the timings to suit LPG.

If you wanted to, and could find an installer willing to do it, you could use an after market ecu like Megasquirt and others to run vapor injection. It's been done by a few people in car's such a volvo's in europe, that were once carby petrol car's. Even a few vapor injection & turbo installs out there.

Otherwise, your only options are straight Gas Research, or Impco 425, say fit up a carby type inlet manifold, holley base plate & stick the 425 ontop, just like one of my Xr8's!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

If you run an LPG vapour priming solenoid line directly into the plenum behind the TB, it should start and run nicely on gas. By experimenting with different orifices in the line, you should be easily able to find the correct gas flow to sustain an idle while the liquid lines fill. LPG is generally tolerant to a wide range of AFR's, so a simple timer circuit could shut this down automatically.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:56 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

Albino wrote:
Hey folks...
I am going to be rebiulding the ED Sprint engine next year and want to convert to injected gas only. Dont want a dual system, too much unnecessary gear/weight to carry around.
I havent been able to get any workshop to consider it, they always quote that purging the lines is required and petrol is a must. Its cant be that hard, the new Falcon LPi can do it by running the pump as soon as the drivers door opens.
Anyone had this done?

send a pm to "The Panel Van Man" his here in melboure, nd his last straight gas car was a 383 clevo

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

OH. MY. GOD. That 383 is sex.

Supercharger, extractors for sale
ford-parts-for-sale-f17/supercharger-3-exhaust-spool-rods-extractors-x2-t99480.html

More e series stuff from NF V8 fairlane for sale
post1252987.html#1252987

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]