Fordmods Logo

Is this the Water Temp Sensor? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Is this the Water Temp Sensor?
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR8 / GHIA / GT

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,
Can anyone confirm the part no. of the water temp sensor on an EL V8 please?

Is it F2AF-12A648-FF

I've just removed it, it's behind the dist. cap, just in front of the first injector, driver side front of motor?

It was screwed into a horizontal water line which runnings front to back as you stand in front of the car.

Grey plastic plug for the loom, approx 20mm deep socket needed to get it off. (I don't have one so took 45min with a big shifter carefully)

I can tell it's a water line it was screws into because the fluid there is green.

This is pretty much the only sensor I haven't changed during the fight to get fuel economy back under 15ltrs/100km!

Whatever this is if it's not the water temp sensor, I'll change as it's pretty badly corroded.

Thanks guys.

EL II XR8
Pedders Sports Suspension
Pacemaker Exhaust system with Hi-Flow Cats
Tickford / GT Body Kit
Electric Sunroof / Moonroof
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just an update on this.

Took the sensor into ford, $30 for a new one, however the one i took out is for a I6?

They showed me the V8 type and it's a little different, would screw in, but not plug in as the pins were different?

I cleaned up the old part, put it back in an instantly the trip comp showed 1.5ltrs less consumtion per 100km.

I'm trying to get at least another couple, so well go and get the new part, put it in and see what happens?

Thought this may help as there are plenty of people out there with similar trouble, well let you know my results in a day or two.

Cheers.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have just reset the ECU, gone for about a 20km drive, mostly highway, consumption came right down to 11.4 which is the lowest it's been, then hit the city a little, climbed back to mid 12's, back on the highway and settled again.
Filled up while I was out, when full, showing 600km to empty, have been showing only 350-400km to empty for a while now after filling up.
If I stay with city driving for a little, it will naturally go up another litre or two, but that's normal.
So good signs?
Cheers.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

sounds like ur onto something, would be a cheap thing to swap out if other ppls are having issues...

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

While at Ford Spares yesterday, I was shown the drawing the Inlet Manifold area and there are two water temp sensors, with the other being at the very front of the water line just as the pipe is about to enter the water pump IIRC.
This is bolted down and has no loom, cost to replace is $160.

They were saying one sensor talks to the computer, the other to the cluster for the temp gauge?

I would have thought the cheaper sensor does both as it has a green & white wire on the plug?

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

On high series ED V8s there are 3 temp sensors. 1 for temp gauge, 1 for EECIV and one for the climate control. The EF-EL series have 1 for the temp gauge and 1 for the EECV. The climate control gets it's temp signal from the EECV data line. The temp gauge sensor is a one wire job on the passenger side of the inlet manifold.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
On high series ED V8s there are 3 temp sensors. 1 for temp gauge, 1 for EECIV and one for the climate control. The EF-EL series have 1 for the temp gauge and 1 for the EECV. The climate control gets it's temp signal from the EECV data line. The temp gauge sensor is a one wire job on the passenger side of the inlet manifold.

So does the temp gauge sensor on the passenger side tap into another water line?
Thanks.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

it taps into the intake manifold which has a little 'pocket' there where it bolts to the head and is part of the coolant system.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

can you narrow it down a little more please? maybe between such and such cylinder?
so there is a water line on the passenger side also?
thanks.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

EF-up engines have one ECT sensor that the EEC looks at. The cluster get serial data from the EEC to drive the temp gauge hence no need for a separate temp sensor.
The other temp sensor is for vehicles equipped with climate control.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
it taps into the intake manifold which has a little 'pocket' there where it bolts to the head and is part of the coolant system.

I'd say it's the plug between the front 2 injectors on the passenger side area of the manifold, plugged in, in an opposition direction to what the injecters are?
I'll pull it out and have a look.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

EL2XR8 wrote:
prydey wrote:

I'd say it's the plug between the front 2 injectors on the passenger side area of the manifold, plugged in, in an opposition direction to what the injecters are?
I'll pull it out and have a look.

ACT sensor in #5 runner.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Here is a photo of a ED V8 engine bay just before I swapped the inlet manifold for a better flowing one. Now, I don't have a paint programme on my bodgy edition of XP on my laptop so I'll try to describe what is where.

TEMP SENSOR #1: If you draw an imaginary line from the high voltage terminal from the coil and disect this with another line going down from #5 injector, you will see the temp sensor for the cluster.

TEMP SENSOR #2: Go across to the other side of the motor onto the drivers side rocker cover. On the oil filler neck, there is a small pipe sticking out. This is pointing directly to a round white plug that is screwed into the black coolant pipe. This is your coolant sensor or ECT as XR9UTE has pointed out. This is for your ECU.

TEMP SENSOR #3(FOR EB-ED): This sensor is situated on the same black pipe as sensor #2, directly where the pipe plumbs into the lower inlet manifold and has a yellow squarish plug. This is for the older climate control used on the EB-ED V8s.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Here is a photo of a ED V8 engine bay just before I swapped the inlet manifold for a better flowing one. Now, I don't have a paint programme on my bodgy edition of XP on my laptop so I'll try to describe what is where.

TEMP SENSOR #1: If you draw an imaginary line from the high voltage terminal from the coil and disect this with another line going down from #5 injector, you will see the temp sensor for the cluster.

TEMP SENSOR #2: Go across to the other side of the motor onto the drivers side rocker cover. On the oil filler neck, there is a small pipe sticking out. This is pointing directly to a round white plug that is screwed into the black coolant pipe. This is your coolant sensor or ECT as XR9UTE has pointed out. This is for your ECU.

TEMP SENSOR #3(FOR EB-ED): This sensor is situated on the same black pipe as sensor #2, directly where the pipe plumbs into the lower inlet manifold and has a yellow squarish plug. This is for the older climate control used on the EB-ED V8s.

Thanks banarcus and XR9UTE.

Yes, I have taken out, cleaned and put back in sensor 2 / ECT. I have a new one which I will put in tonight.

Sensor 1 / ACT I will take out tonight and see what it looks like, will give it a clean, put back in and order a new one.

Is this one just as critical as the ECT sensor in terms of fuel economy?

Just to be positively sure, runner 5 is passenger side, front, between front two injectors? It has to be, there is nothing else there?

Cheers.

EL II XR8
Tickford / GT Body Kit
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think you confused what I described as sensor #1. This is the small single blade terminal sensor in front of injector 5. This is for my cluster.

The ACT sensor is the same size as the ECT and it sits in runner 5 between injectors 5 and 6(front 2 on the passenger side of motor) in my photo. It has an effect on fuel economy in terms of richness of fuel when the motor is cold. You should be able to test it using a multimeter and a variable temp heat gun/heater fan.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next