Post subject: Stripped thread inside the crankshaft
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hi all,

My car's been in the workshop whilst I'm at work for the past few weeks. When they pulled the harmonic balancer off, they noticed the bolt came out much too easy. They looked into it and the thread on the bolt was fine, it was slipping in the crankshaft. They let me know at the time and said it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get it fixed. As it turns out, it may very well be a big problem to fix it. Everyone they've spoken to about fixing it want the crank out of the engine!

Has anyone had this happen before and is there a way of fixing it without pulling the motor down?

I'm really hoping there is.

Chad

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

how the f**k did that happen?? omg nightmare!! on the otherhand... looks like that stroker might be happening sooner than ya thought!

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

My mechanic reckons because the thread on the bolt is good, he reckons it's been over-tightened with a rattle gun or something, rather than doing it by hand and it's sheared it on the inside.

I'm not quite ready for the stroker just yet as I've got to get a new car for the missus and with the baby on the way, I need to keep some cash aside. It looks like this is my last swing out here as well. If i could have got another 2 out of it then it'd be all go for sure.

I'm really hoping someone can come up with a solution though.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

rattlegun !!!! arrrrrgh .....you might be able to fit a heli coil if it was just a temporary stop gap measure ?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Scaffy wrote:
My mechanic reckons because the thread on the bolt is good, he reckons it's been over-tightened with a rattle gun or something

sounds like rubbish to me

same thing happened to me, and same story from the mechanic palming the blame on another. :roll: More like the balancer was a b**ch to get off, and they kept turning the puller when it was threading the crank, instead of stopping.

Was also told about pulling the engine but i took it to another mechanic who happened to have an engineering mob next door, and they successfully managed to tap a new thread in the crank. Its not perfect, but it was good enough to get a new balancer back on, thank f**k....... so try that dude

And make sure they use a puller thats long enough to utilize all the crank thread for more strength when they refit the balancer

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

ouch! I think FordFairmont on here had a similar thing happen on his 6 banger, I'm pretty sure he had his mechanic drill and tap a bigger hole and use a bigger bolt.

EDIT: There ya go^^

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah i dunno if they fixed the existing thread or tapped a large one, but i know ive now got a bolt with a 19mm head instead of 21mm

Came undone the other day while i was turning the crank by hand, might get around to loctiting it me thinks :)

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

it shouldn't be to much of a drama to repair although it's in a b***h of a spot, they can helicoil it (prob not the strongest option) or go one size up with the bolt. or theres another sort of rethread kit out there which u have to drill a bigger hole tap a thread, then screw in the replacement, hit down four little locking tangs and hey presto its like a brought one. only drama i can see is it may put ur crank out of balance with any of these options.....

or pull it out get the hole welded and rethreaded rebalanced and have piece of mind for a few extra bucks.

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FordFairmont - Did they do this while the motor was still in the car?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:
or pull it out get the hole welded and rethreaded rebalanced and have piece of mind for a few extra bucks.

If that needs to happen, I think there'll be a whole lot more work getting done.

The dramas never seem to end!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Scaffy wrote:
FordFairmont - Did they do this while the motor was still in the car?

yeah...... was charged 200 in labour and that included labour for refitting the new balancer....... better than the alternative

Its not a permanant solution, in other words you dont wanna be removing the balancer on and off again too many more times, but its a good enough solution to get the car on the road again and hope theres no reason to touch any of it for awhile lol

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:
it shouldn't be to much of a drama to repair although it's in a b***h of a spot, they can helicoil it (prob not the strongest option) or go one size up with the bolt. or theres another sort of rethread kit out there which u have to drill a bigger hole tap a thread, then screw in the replacement, hit down four little locking tangs and hey presto its like a brought one. only drama i can see is it may put ur crank out of balance with any of these options.....

These are called "Keen Serts", a better option in this case

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

station-rat wrote:
3x-puursui7 wrote:

These are called "Keen Serts", a better option in this case

Who does the Keen Serts? Is it done by an engineering mob?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I just did a search on Google. I'll be suggesting this option to the mechanic.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:02 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

A Balancer puller doesn't engage the crank thread so unless they used the wrong tip which was too small in diameter to sit on the taper before the thread it can't actually damage the crank thread.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next