Post subject: Antenna-less
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good afternoon all...

My latest modification is to become visually antenna-less...

The inspiration for this came when I bought a Fusion head unit... The Sony Xplod I had before was great, when you had it cd the antenna was down, when you had it on radio it would wind the antenna up... When i updated to a Fusion, the damn antenna comes up all the time... And no doubt would've gotten broken off... So I come with a couple of options, I put a switch in it or went to a semi-manual system... Or I did the same as what BA Falcons had... The antenna in the glass...

You can buy stick on glass antennas and they look cheap and nasty... Plus you end up with little black plastic box stuck to your glass... and then I thought, well when you change your front window and need to get it off you'll probably stuff it and need a new one and I'm not a fan of sticking things to tinted windows so it wasn't going on the back...

Then I got onto a company in the states... They made "hidden" antennas and I thought this is great... Bit dear, but unlike motorised antennas, they will never wear out (no moving parts) and never break when your hit a bird, etc etc...

And here you have it the hidden antenna:
Attachment:
DSC_0152.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0151.JPG

Ok one problem solved it paid for and at my door...

Second was where and how to install it... Obviously works best in plastic steel... So I thought just under that plastic top on the dash that ED's have... Tried just sitting it under the glass and it wasn't real spectacular... Worked better outside the car...

So decided to put it under the plastic cowling where the wiper blades are...

So seeing as its a miserable day today I decided i'd take them off and have a look under there... first time I've ever been under there and let me tell you there is masses of room under there holes that run all the way into the car under dash... Heaps of room...

So due to the length of these decided to mount it on the passenger side... Using a knockout punch I put a hole in the bracket that helps hold the wiper stub in place and put a 3/4 grommet in it, put the end cap off the antenna slid it through replace the end cap and using the supplied double sided tape stuck it down... You get something looking like this...

Attachment:
DSC_0141.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0142.JPG

Then all you have to do is run the cable... Now if your a smallperson like me, small armsand hands then you possibly wriggle your arms up through the inner mudguard up through where the original antenna was all the way up to the top and far back of the mudguard (right under the bonnet hinge practically) and there is hole up there that joins up with the plenum under the wiper blades... Bit of stabbing around with the cable and I got it through this hole and then grabbed it and pulled it down... poked it through the original grommet, plugged it in behind the kick panel and bob's your uncle... Looks like this...

Attachment:
DSC_0149.JPG

So hopefully this might inspire some people... Unless others there already have something similar better?

All in all the antenna works pretty good under here, better than in the car, however there is tiny amount of interference which at the best of times is hardly noticeable... For the rare occasion I use the radio it'll do me fine now... So here you have it antenna-less and pretty well guaranteed for life...

Bellow are the remainder of the photos I took any questions ask away...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: Antenna-less
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

more pics...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

thats not to bad , good idea . its like the 2way airel i got
better than the antena i got in my EL ( aka there isnt 1 as i play mp3's and Avi's)

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I hate the look of antenna on a nice sleek low car... it ruins the curves... So i used to hate the motorised even for that... this is so simple...

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Interesting, I'd definitely love this, It's one thing I've highly envied about the ba's, and have been keen to work out more info on such tings for the 62, being an antenna doesn't look out of place, but it's not great either, beig aftermarket and all, and thats save putting demister bars on the rear screen.

Although I'd love to try it out to find out quality, along with, the other options out there.

If you don't mind how much dd it all cost, and have you got a link to where you got it, or reviews on it.

Now just to fill your guard.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

other option is something like this.
fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/antenna-removal-t32593.html

You should post yours up as a doc mate

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hi,

ok their website is here: http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

It cost me... US$39.99 each plus US$30.00 freight (I bought two) about US$24.00 for freight on one i think he quoted me... This is not too bad as each individual antenna is hand tuned...

If your gonna get them the exchange is good at the moment...

No reviews... All I can say is its no good totally encapsulated in steel (as you'd imagine) under that front cowling works the best, better than under glass (judging by my tests)

But well worth the money... Like I said if you listen real close you can hear a very small amount of interference... But for most everyday purposes it'd do great...

Dad's is going in a HK Holden, in much the same spot, under that cowling out the front... So will try it too and see what comes up...

Hope this helps...
Tim

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fiftyone wrote:

How do you do that?

Also can I point out one thing... After reading your tech doc and their website apparently AM reception is limit with this type of antenna... I haven't tried AM as yet as I don't listen to it but will try it tomorrow and see whether it works on AM at all...

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

What i did in my old EF was get one of those windscreen mount antennas, the ones that look like a T. And i mounted that on top of the dash cluster. To get better signal, i got a 12V signal booster.

Worked 100% and better reception than on the standard antenna and excellent reception on AM too :mrgreen:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

How do you do that?

Also can I point out one thing... After reading your tech doc and their website apparently AM reception is limit with this type of antenna... I haven't tried AM as yet as I don't listen to it but will try it tomorrow and see whether it works on AM at all...

should just be able to post it in that forum, or grab a tech guy to help :wink:

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Nice mod, I would like to do something like this to my lane because I think the thing is wearing out :lol:

As for the signal not being 100% all the time, why not hook it up to one of those 12v AM/FM signal boosters? Should do the trick 8-)

Thread moved to technical documents

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Oh your a moderator now XR-Lane thanking you... Your moderator status doesn't come up in red though :P I'd be offended :wink:

I haven't seen any of those boosters... I'll give it a go... They cancel out the crap on the airwaves do they, as if they amplify they much amplify the crap and have some cancellation circuitry for frequencies outside those of FM?

Thanks,
Tim

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

timmytimtim wrote:
Oh your a moderator now XR-Lane thanking you... Your moderator status doesn't come up in red though :P I'd be offended :wink:

:lol: yeah I was thinking the same thing, But the mods in red are global moderators. I was thinking that maybe stock moderators could have another colour, maybe green :lol:

timmytimtim wrote:
I haven't seen any of those boosters... I'll give it a go... They cancel out the crap on the airwaves do they, as if they amplify they much amplify the crap and have some cancellation circuitry for frequencies outside those of FM?

Thanks,
Tim

Yeah I bought one at supercheap a long time ago. Basically they are just a box that you plug the antenna cable into and the lead coming out the other side goes into the stereo. Run the power leads to power and thats it.

It will give a clear signal, but not sure of weather it stops interference form the car. It works like one of those TV signal amplifiers you can buy for your TV as far as I know.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hey timmy
i like the antenna mod..
good idea......

XR-Lane wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:

:lol: yeah I was thinking the same thing, But the mods in red are global moderators. I was thinking that maybe stock moderators could have another colour, maybe green :lol:

i think the moderators that are in red are the senior moderators.. we are just a couple of junior moderators..lol

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hey timmy
i like the antenna mod..
good idea......

XR-Lane wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:

i think the moderators that are in red are the senior moderators.. we are just a couple of junior moderators..lol

Trainee Moderators. BUT 4.9 EF has been a mod for years still plain lol...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next