Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 8 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef/el halfbreed

NSW, Australia

thank god this is here im doing this soon haha in mine and my nephews so fun times ahead

Destroy everything and dont look back!!!!!!

94 ef-el-xr-fairmont. No idea anymore.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

destroyer wrote:
thank god this is here im doing this soon haha in mine and my nephews so fun times ahead

Yep it's a great doco!

If you both love swapping cogs you will find a new love for your fords, i only liked mine before the manual conversion, now i love it. The manual was definitely the one thing the car was missing the most when i bought it. Damn ghia! :D

When you do the conversion, think long & hard about which way you will go with the peddle boxes. My EB, i will probably have to pull the dash out again soon to fix the heater box, so i'm thinking seriously about getting another auto peddle box, the mal wood clutch pin & some 3mm plate steel and doing what i should have done in the first place!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

i know i'm bumping up this thread, but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to voxace for doing this guide.

it was a massive help while doing my conversion these last few days.

just wondering too for people who have done the resistor trick, when i start the car it gives it a huge rev (~2000rpm), but settles down to a normal idle. when its cold it will idle high (~1100) till it warms up a bit. is this normal?

it doesnt hang on the gear changes or anything, and once its warm it idles perfectly.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

nicco wrote:
i know i'm bumping up this thread, but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to voxace for doing this guide.

it was a massive help while doing my conversion these last few days.

just wondering too for people who have done the resistor trick, when i start the car it gives it a huge rev (~2000rpm), but settles down to a normal idle. when its cold it will idle high (~1100) till it warms up a bit. is this normal?

it doesnt hang on the gear changes or anything, and once its warm it idles perfectly.

I think they should idle high when warming. Mine does the exact opposite, and kind of runs like a bucket with the resistor trick. I've double and triple checked wiring, and its all good?

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mine has had a BAD rev hang since the conversion.

Have fitted new ISC, and have wired up loom correctly, and have fitted manual ECU, but wont go into diag mode cause the ECU thinks its always in gear.

f**k the car..... now i just run it with the ISC blocked off completely which did work fine with smaller cams, but with the cam i have now it wont idle on cold starts

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i replaced all the sensors, and it changed nothing. So i had i plugged in to a scanner yesterday, and its in limp mode because of it and seems to be f**k with everything. Seems to work on some cars but not on others?

Oh well i bought a manual ECU, that'll sort it. :D

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Got a multimeter and see exactly what resistance the ECU is seeing.. it might not be what you think.

Mine seems to be ok, it idles fine when cold but to low when warm.. but thats because I have an EL computer hooked up to a ED log manifold motor.. when the EL motor goes in, it "should" be fine.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i've checked everything, just seems my car don't like it.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Also what i'm interested in knowing is, in the tech doc, part 5 electrical, when you get to the modding the auto loom part, and it says "if you have a manual ecu, you can skip this step", ........ So with a manual ecu, does anything at all plug into the big round plug in the engine bay? Or is it just left empty and taped up?

Andrew.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

PIMP_LTD wrote:
So with a manual ecu, does anything at all plug into the big round plug in the engine bay? Or is it just left empty and taped up?

yeah when i fitted a manual ecu, i just removed the plug which had the resistor trick and left it empty and taped up like you said

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Mine seems to be ok, it idles fine when cold but to low when warm..

hrmm... after a bit more driving today it seems to be unting around really badly. still gives the big rev on start up and revs high when cold, but now when its warm it'll be up and down all over the shop. stalled a couple of times today when i threw the clutch in at speed :?

seems strange. i think i need to clean the idle speed controller though, its pretty s**t. :lol:

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I did all my resistor work at the actual ECU loom an inch from the ECU.

then again, I have a TCM controlling my tranny.. the EL ECU was bypassed so it didn't think it had to as well.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:54 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

nicco wrote:
frankieh wrote:
Mine seems to be ok, it idles fine when cold but to low when warm..

hrmm... after a bit more driving today it seems to be unting around really badly. still gives the big rev on start up and revs high when cold, but now when its warm it'll be up and down all over the shop. stalled a couple of times today when i threw the clutch in at speed :?

seems strange. i think i need to clean the idle speed controller though, its pretty s**t. :lol:

providing everything is right.
give the ecu a few days to re-learn..
as the hunting should smooth out once the ecu finds its happy spot..

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

troy,

i was hoping that was all it was going to be. i'll just have to sit tight! :oops: :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

PIMP_LTD wrote:
........ So with a manual ecu, does anything at all plug into the big round plug in the engine bay? Or is it just left empty and taped up?

Andrew.

Dude,

If you have the factory manual gearbox loom, it fit's into a rectangle plug on the loom in the engine bay, next to the round auto plug. There will be nothing plugged into the auto plug.

I think i posted the factory wiring part number somewhere on this forum, maybe even earlier in this thread?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next